Chromebook EOL

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Today, I took a good look that the Chromebooks that I usually use. I had not paid much attention to their end of life, which basically means that point where they no longer get security or operating system updates. Much to my surprise, both of them are end of life in June of this year. I am not a happy camper. The real reason for my unhappiness with regard to this, is that I purchased them, on sale, cheaply, only a couple of years ago. I should have looked at their end-of-life date when I bought them. Ordinarily, Chromebooks have a life expectancy of 6 years before their end-of-life date. I didn't even bother to check. Both Chromebooks must have been old stock on closeout and the retailer did not make it clear that their end-of-life was significantly less then six years. I blame both the retailer and myself for this dilemma. They are still usable long after their end-of-life date, but I do not want to use any computer which no longer gets security updates.

And yes, I do know that there are numerous Linux operating systems that can be loaded on the Chromebooks. I do not have the skill to do that, nor do I want to learn another operating system. I am quite content using Chrome on a Chromebook. I guess, that in June, when these Chromebooks no longer get vital updates I will throw them in the trash. As I am writing this post, I am on a cheap Chrome Tablet using voice to text and the chip in this tablet is much faster then either of the soon to be departed Chromebooks.

I'd say you have more time than that, if you want to keep them around. The fact that security updates stop being released doesn't mean they're unsecure the next day.

I "power washed" both Chromebooks, removing all trace of me and gave them both to a young very computer literate friend who has two teenage sons. He says he'll put another operating system on each.