Churchwarden questions...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean73

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I want to get a second churchwarden. I have one woodstem one that I bought at a ren faire a few years back. It is nice, but I want to try something a little different.

Does anyone have any advice for a good smoking churchwarden for around $100? I have looked at the Stanwell Has Christian Anderson models and they look interesting because you can switch from a churchwarden stem to a regular bent stem. (It seems like 2 pipes for the price of 1.)

Second question: are there any types of tabacco that smoke better in churchwardens?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Dean

Edwards Pipe and Tobacco is a good resource for less expensive churchwardens in their Benton line. I have been to a couple of there shops in Florida and there is a B&M here that carries them. Their churchwardens are very nice for the money. They actually use to carve them in Tampa where one of their stores is but I don't know if they are still doing it in-house. They still offer them on their website and you could probably call them as well for a larger selection.
http://www.edwardstobacco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BBAR%2DCW%2DB%2DS&cat=16

Get one of Pete's smooth Dublin 'wardens and keep it on the fireplace mantel above a Persian slipper of black shag.

8)

(Watch out for a woman named Adler, though.)

I wouldn't advise buying the Stanwell HCA.I had one and sold it a couple years ago.
The bowl is too small and the stem too flimsy......and it burns hot as hell.
Something that has a bowl like a regular pipe,as the boys suggest, is better.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":ihd0vwt8 said:
I wouldn't advise buying the Stanwell HCA.I had one and sold it a couple years ago.
The bowl is too small and the stem too flimsy......and it burns hot as hell.
Something that has a bowl like a regular pipe,as the boys suggest, is better.

Winslow :sunny:
I do find that Churchwardens can smoke hot, and I believe that it is due to me sucking on them harder than usual, trying to find the "ordinary" temperature smoke.

I find the bowl on my HCA II calabash to be a perfect size, and the small stem allows the conversion to a traveling pipe whenever I wish. I like it a lot. It is smaller than my large bowled pipes, to be sure, but I wouldn't call it a "small" pipe. Pete 303 is much smaller, for example.

The peterson wardens are smaller than most of the stanwells, I think.

Savinelli also has churchwardens and half-wardens, like the Quandale pipes, which look nice to me.

Thank you gentelmen!

I just browsed a few of the recomendations...thank you!

I will let you know which one I go with...