Churchwarden Selection Input

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfriesenhahn

Reaction score
So, I'm finally pulling the trigger on purchasing a Churchwarden. It's actually a Christmas present from my wife, so she has narrowed the field from 40 to 3 (a good thing too, because I would have been staring at them for a few more weeks yet).

She really likes the pipes from Luna as they remind her of The Hobbit. I'm not really familiar with the maker and am not a huge fan of the stems (where's the taper??).

She also really likes the smooth finish of the Peterson.

I'm more a fan of the rough, odd ball style of Nording, and she thought the Johs was a good compromise. I think it's an absolutely beautiful pipe, but not sure how it would be in my hands.

Really, I'm between the Johs and the Luna. Your input is very welcome.

If you want an ugly pipe, buy a Nording :twisted:

If you want quality, buy the Peterson "twin" set which gives you a choice between ordinary pipe and church warden.

Stanwell also makes a fine pipe at a reasonable price.
They have a Hans Christian Anderson line that has a Churchwarden that comes with
a long and short stem as the Peterson. In my opinion, I'd rather have the Stanwell and that's probably why I do. ;)

Yes, of course, Ron. I will also rather have a Stanwell than a Peterson. I wasn't aware of the "double barrel" Stannies.

Yes, that exact Stanwell you have pictured, along with the sandblasted version, were two of my favorites during the selection process. But, I'm afraid they weren't in the wife's top 5. Alas, perhaps the next time 'round.

However, I am very excited about the Johs, and it has now been ordered.   :cheers:

The Nordings aren't ugly! :x They've just...got lot's of 'personality'... 
Yeah, I don't know why exactly, but I've loved those knobby little buggers since the first time I laid eyes on them.

jfriesenhahn":b3owty8z said:
Yes, that exact Stanwell you have pictured, along with the sandblasted version, were two of my favorites during the selection process. But, I'm afraid they weren't in the wife's top 5. Alas, perhaps the next time 'round.

However, I am very excited about the Johs, and it has now been ordered.   :cheers:

The Nordings aren't ugly! :x They've just...got lot's of 'personality'... 
Yeah, I don't know why exactly, but I've loved those knobby little buggers since the first time I laid eyes on them.
Is she going to be smok'in it?
I understand your lik'en the freehands of Nording and Johs, I too love a nice freehand but, find that Nordings repeat there shapes with little change. Granted they are very affordable.
Johs too are very affordable and from time to time I have seen some nice ones by them but, just failed to pull the trigger on them finding something else at the time I wanted more.
I hope you'll be happy with the Johs, I've never had one so I can't say anything about there smoking qualities as I can Nordings, which tend to be gurglers and won't pass a cleaner and, Stanwell's giving a fine dry smoke of the ones I own. Good luck in your search sir and remember, one mans poor smoke may be an others dream. ;)

I have indeed decided, Stick. In fact, that lovely Johs is already on its way to me from Copenhagen, and FedEx tracking says I'll be able to start breaking it on next Monday evening!  :D :santa:

Well done old boy. I think you've made a fine choice. Be a sport and get some pics up when it arrives?!

Well done old boy. I think you've made a fine choice. Be a sport and get some pics up when it arrives?!

Huzzah! Pipe!

Man, that was some insanely fast shipping from Denmark. Props to you, FedEx.

new_jo11.jpg

And now for the fun part...