Churchwardens

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
Lately I've been contemplating buying a churchwarden. I've never smoked from one but I understand them to be a cooler smoke. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on them?

i have 3 of them and really enjoy them, it is hard to much of anything while smoking them except sit and watch tv or read,, mine all smoke well and i do smoke them as often as i can, i say get one and see how you like it

I have several churchwardens that I enjoy. One is a "Lord of the Rings" series from Vauen (Germany), a couple of my others Mike Brissett created for me. I also have a couple of BJarne's that were very reasonably priced. As Chuck says they are a sit down and read or "watch TV" type of pipe. They do smoke a little cooler "if" you don't get into the habit of trying to suck in the smoke because you think the stem is so long that it requires the extra effort. Smoke like you normally do and they are great. I really enjoy mine.

J,
I currently own five of them.While they're great to look at,I find that they're kind of a pain in the arse to smoke.Obviously holding it in your teeth is outta the question.Also,most of the tobacco chambers on them are grp 3 or smaller.You get maybe 20 mins out of one bowl of tobacco before a refill. :lol: To top it all off you have to use those xxl pipe cleaners w/ them.For me,I apprecite the beauty but don't smoke mine very often at all.You'll have to buy one and judge for yourself...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

I have a Brebbia Twin that comes with the extension that turns it into a Churchwarden. I have smoked it exactly once with the extension in place; just wasn't my "cup of tea" You may want to try one of the Brebbias or the Stanwell that comes with two stems; that way you still have a usable pipe if you don't like the churchwarden. Just my .02

Churchwardens a wonderful smoking instruments. I would smoke churchwardens exclusively if it were practical.

I've got two and both are "convertibles." One was made by Mike Brissett and the other by Johan Slabbert. (Anyone know how he is doing these days?)

Huggie, to me, these are for long, cool smokes. Since I smoke only outside, I prefer these on lazy afternoons or summer evenings when I can let my mind wander. For you, I'd say you would really enjoy smoking one while surfing on the computer (typing would be tough, but you could still look at pipes or anything else that is picture intensive and doesn't involve typing).

My only advice is to choose one that really appeals to you. Like any other pipe, I'd hate for you to get one that isn't all you want and then you end up thinking it was the 'warden factor and not something else.

showme

I think I'm one of those pipe guys who is heavily swayed by how much a pipe appeals to me. If I really think the pipe is cool, I'm going to enjoy smoking it. At least it seems that way to me now so I think I'll go with that and get one. I was mostly concerned with them being gimmicky. I had a lady at a pipe shop tell me how many they sold after Lord of the Rings came out and that kind of put me off at first.

jhuggett":kznsyf5b said:
I was mostly concerned with them being gimmicky. I had a lady at a pipe shop tell me how many they sold after Lord of the Rings came out and that kind of put me off at first.
It may look gimmicky when you wear your Gandalf robe or a gold ring on a necklace, but other than that I think you're fine.

While we're on the topic, has anyone seen a corn cob churchwarden?

I have a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson, they come with both a standard and churchwarden stem. When I bought it it was with the intention of using it as a churchwarden and I figured I'd never use the short stem. Turns out the pipe smokes beautifully with the short stem and only so-so with the long one, so now I never use the long one, go figure.

The only churchwarden I have at the moment is a small meerschaum. Got it at AAA Meerschaum. Very inexpensive. Only about 10 inches long. But it does wonderful things with HOTW. I suspect other Virginia's might be the same way in it.

Well,

I realize I am the noob, so take my expewreince for what it's worth (if any).
I started my humble collection with all churchwardens.My Bjarne church is a solid group 4 and smokes very nice. Cool and pretty dry if my technique is solid. I also enjoy a Savinelli 601 which seems to be much more forgiving of my poor smoking form with Va's. Then I have a Peterson Prince church which I cannot seem to smoke dry to save my life ( very small bowl).

I would have to say I notcie quite a difference in the coolness of these pipes over my shorter stemmed pipes I have recently picked up. But truthfully, what do I know??