Cigar Costs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Kaplan":gys1j57x said:
I can't answer for Mike, but I'll just point out that there's a social aspect to the B&Ms that can't be ignored. In most states they're the only places to legally smoke indoors in public.
George is correct, here in New York State the only place to legally smoke indoors (outside of ones own home) is a private club or the local B&M. Winters are too cold here to comfortably sit outside and enjoy a 1 hour or longer cigar therefore off to the B&M. It is considered poor etiquette (and most times against the rules) to bring cigars purchased over the internet to the lounge at the local B&M. therefore one is subject to the prevailing tax which, as stated before, can be quite costly even if you only smoke a cigar a day.

The combination of taxes and internet sales is killing them, according to the B & M owners I have spoken to in upstate NY. That is not to say that there aren't "successful" tobacconists around, but they require high traffic and a well-heeled clientele, i.e, an urban setting or some equivalent. The fringe establishments, the ma's and pa's, the "news stands," all have a layer of dust on their nicotinic wares and are dying.

I hate it and a 75% tax on anything is an obscenity. They recently passed some firearm legislation here by underhanded means, taking their cues, apparently, from the creep in the White House. The foregoing, combined with some personal legal issues, have me 99% convinced to move somewhere with more respect for liberty and property rights. It's often said that politicians are whores; I disagree, because they have nothing to prostitute. If they want a life of "service," they can begin by getting on their knees in front of me.