Cigar Cutters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Well as long as I'm asking questions, what type of cutter do you fine fellows prefer?
I'm contemplating 3:

Xikar Xi3
300aw.jpg

Palio
Palio%20Cutter%20-%201.jpg

or a cutter I design and build myself

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

I personally use a bullet punch most of the time, but I do occasionally use a cutter. I have used the Xikar several times in the local shop and it works well. Folks rave about how easily and cleanly the Palio cuts. I too am in need of a good cutter (mine is old and raggedy) and am leaning towards the Palio..... Or both :D

If you build one of your own you've got to post pics :!:

I'm a cheap bastage but I do it the old fashion way... I take my thumbnail and run it around the cap.
I use a cutter for Torpedo's and Belicoso but its usually a cheap one, nothing nearly as nice as what you are proposing.

I always used cheap double blade guillotines,
but my daughter bought me this one for Christmas.
So it is a prized possession.
x10.jpg

Thanks again all, PD if I do build one I'll definitely let you know, its not rocket science but it will take some time.
Hermit how do you like the overall performance and craftsmanship of your Xikar?

Midnight Blues":223e28me said:
Thanks again all, PD if I do build one I'll definitely let you know, its not rocket science but it will take some time.
Hermit how do you like the overall performance and craftsmanship of your Xikar?
Terrific!
I wouldn't have paid that much for a cutter, but I love it.
BTW, they all use the same blades; the cheaper ones cut
as well as the fancier ones.

I have always used a cheap double bladed guillotine cutter. I like it but I am hoping that someone who likes or maybe would even love this bullheaded combat engineer will buy me a nice cutter.

I have always used a cheap double bladed cutter until recently. A fine BOTL gifted me with a Xikar Redwood and the difference is amazing. I don't think I'd pay retail for one, but the quality is there for sure. I haven't tried any other brnads though.

Lucky

I smoke a good deal of cigars...i've easily cut and smoked 500 or more, and I can say HANDS DOWN the palio out does the xikar. I always thought my xikar gave a sweet and perfect cut til i used a palio. i can assure you, you won't be disappointed. Xikars tend to break after some use due to the construction from my experience.

More moving parts equals a greater chance to malfunction IMHO. They cut nice, but when I realized i needed a workhorse, the palio was it. And the palio gives a surgical like cut.

free_byrd15":4nhpbyg9 said:
I smoke a good deal of cigars...i've easily cut and smoked 500 or more, and I can say HANDS DOWN the palio out does the xikar. I always thought my xikar gave a sweet and perfect cut til i used a palio. i can assure you, you won't be disappointed. Xikars tend to break after some use due to the construction from my experience.
I would agree - I have both and I use the Palio most of the time. The other nice thing about the Palio is it's shape - it makes a nice cigar rest if you're somewhere they don't have proper cigar ashtrays. As far as the Xikar's lifetime warranty, I sent mine in a couple years ago because I thought it was getting dull; they promptly sent me a brand new one, no questions asked. :cheers:

The Palio works so good my best friend "borrowed" it,,,so I gave it to him,,,,then I bought another,,,,

Never used a Palio, but I am very happy with my Xikar. It's much better than most cheap single or double blade guillotine cutters. I do, however, keep a cheap punch and v-cutter around for when I want a different cut. And then I do keep cheap guillotines for when I fly (just in case... don't want the Xikar getting into the hands of the TSA).

-Andrew

Well after reading the replies (thanks) and a little research, I decided to get both, Xikar and a Palio. They work exceptionally well and each have there own cool factor. I'd still like to make a cutter but right now we're just buried at work and I haven't got any time for a "government job" Thanks again for all the input...

Best, Dan

I've always been a Xikar man. I currently own 3:
A Cohiba series.
A Redwood handle.
A Habana series.

I'll have to try Palio if you guys like em so much. I smoke enough cigars that I can justify the expense.

I have a Palio...and I hate it. Though I couldn't tell you why. I've just never really had a good cut with it.

I have one XiKar cutter and think it is the best.
Besides the cheapo plastic $10 cutters (which I own quite a few) I have a Cigar Savor Bullet cutter and an old metal "V" cutter that was my dad's.

I have just a bunch of cheap plastic cutters. But last week I placed an order, and on a whim I bought a V cutter. Workbench, or craftbench. Oh something like that. And while I was at Bacca Cigars I had them use a V cutter for the one I smoked in the lounge. I much prefer that to a regular cutter. Unless something happens to change my mind, that will be all I use in the future.