cigar leaf you say? BALDERDASH!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm loving the pipe, and loving blends with cigar leaf (purple cow, maduro, havana daydream and 2 others I can't remember), but it's still not the same as a cigar.

My completely uninformed and shot in the dark theory is as you get further down in a nice big cigar, the closest inch too you swells with moisture and makes a decent filter while adding humidity, giving it a very smooth flavor.

Maybe a pipe would be like a short, fat cigar, but shorties tend to be rather harsh and never develop that depth.

Give it a shot, buy two, smoke one, chop the other. Heck, I think I'll do that myself, I probably even have one that's rather beat up to sacrifice for science!

Anyone, tips on how best to chop up the cigar to make it into pipe tobacco? Just thin slice from the end with a sharp knife? Dice?

I recently tried my first blend with cigar leaf, some Connecticut Yankee a brother gave me, and was really surprised by it. I was expecting way more of a cigar taste, especially since it apparently has Maduro leaf in it, but instead it was entirely its own thing. A buttery, sweet smoke that was delicious, but subtle enough that I'm actually curious to try some of the other cigar blends that might have a bit more kick to'em.

I had a bowl of Key Largo yesterday and this is one of my favorite smokes. It's simply flavorful, moderately strong, smooth with no bite and burns beautifully. It's even better with a good cup of coffee. :)

May I humbly recommend, NYPC's Jack's Shanty...

Bestowed to our club by its founder, Sailorman Jack, his personal recipe is a rich and stout blend featuring sweet lemon and red Virginias with generous portions of fine Latakia and Perique for added spice and depth. Finished with shredded cigar leaf, it delivers unique flavor that will appeal to seasoned smokers. "Attention, Attention!" Savor a "New York State-of-Mind" with Jack's Shanty.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/nyjashcilebl.html#.UI6iyWeurBs

Jack's Shanty is on my list to try; I believe Sailorman Jack helped blend Billy Bud, a real benchmark cigar blend for me, so I like it's pedigree. My all time fave is the defunct Dunhill Mr. Alfred's Own, subtle yet tasty. John Patton cigar blends are a unique and tasty take as well.

As cigar/pipe smokers quickly find out, it is not possible to replicate a cigar experience in a pipe, even if you use all the same ingredients in the pipe blend. The reason is because of the construction of a cigar. A cigar has filler tightly wrapped in a binder and wrapper and then everything is aged together. I believe the wrapper is wet when the the cigar is rolled, so that might change the flavor as well.

aadelma":zi3eiza3 said:
Jack's Shanty is on my list to try; I believe Sailorman Jack helped blend Billy Bud, a real benchmark cigar blend for me, so I like it's pedigree. My all time fave is the defunct Dunhill Mr. Alfred's Own, subtle yet tasty. John Patton cigar blends are a unique and tasty take as well.

As cigar/pipe smokers quickly find out, it is not possible to replicate a cigar experience in a pipe, even if you use all the same ingredients in the pipe blend. The reason is because of the construction of a cigar. A cigar has filler tightly wrapped in a binder and wrapper and then everything is aged together. I believe the wrapper is wet when the the cigar is rolled, so that might change the flavor as well.
"Shanty is Jack's own recipe. I don't think he helped on Billy Bud, he may have but he never told me he did but C&D wanted to name it after Jack but he refused which is why we went somewhat subtle on naming this blend out of respect for our dear friend. We did want to honor his memory and what he meant to our club so we came up with Jack's Shanty, as anyone who knew Jack, knew that his brand of songs were the salty songs of the sea, or shanty's. I believe we paid respectful tribute to him in the tin description. Give it a try...

Thanks for clarifying that, the C&D site says "Created for our late friend Sailorman Jack", which is indeed different than his doing the blending. I would hope that he at least liked it, though!

When I picked the pipe up again back in July I purchased P&C's "Where Pipes meet Cigar's" sampler pack. This wonderful assortment contained three tins (McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro, GL Pease Key Largo, GL Pease Robusto) and three baggies of bulk blend (Cornell & Diehl Habana Daydream, H&H Virginia Spice, cigar leaf). I've been smoking all but the cigar leaf ever since and I love 'em all. I don't think I'm smoking crushed up cigars in my pipe...I'm smoking something much better. Other than the Virginia spice the smooth flavor from the addition of some quality cigar leaf to the blends has really enhanced my smoking pleasure. I highly recommend this sample to any pipe smoking cigar lover.