clay pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
I picked up a Gouda clay pipe from Penn Valley pipes & tobacco. I have been wanting to try one of these forever and finally did it. Its a cute lil thing that smokes nice and clean giving a very pure tobacco flavor. While not the most convienent of pipes it will be great for an occasional quick smoke, and, assuming it does not ghost, testing out new blends. Probably not going to replace cobs for me, but its a bit different and a fun change of pace.
Mike.

Hey Mike, Is that a double walled clay pipe? Does it get really hot?

The bowl does get hot!  It is not double walled.  Just a molded and fired  piece of clay like the picture below. You really have to hold it by the stem.  However, the smoke is suprisingly cool and dry.  
A wise friend recently gave me advice to try smoking the base tobbaco components alone to help understand how they work together in blends ;) I think a few of these pipes will be valuable tools in that sort of research.

largeclays-500x500.jpg

Coincidentally I'm smoking some Dunhill Elizabethan mixture out of my clay pipe right now. It definitely helps you understand a new blend without the fear of a previous ghost or the taste of briar or cob. Much cheaper than Meerschaum, so it's a pretty good alternative for those on a budget. (Thanks to Dr.T for gifting me this clay)

The clay bowls do get very hot but don't smoke hot; they smoke slow and hold a bit more than you think they will, as the bottom of the bowl flows into the stem.  And yes, Penn Valley is where I get 'em, although the link is pipeshoppe.  Nice guy to work with

http://shop.pipeshoppe.com/

Clay pipes are absolutely wonderful!!! And, yes, no toucha' da' bowl!!! Cleaning them is easy...just throw them in your burning fireplace or on your bed of hot coals! Take'em out the next morning, run a pipe cleaner inside the bowl, wipe off the outside...done!!! I especially enjoy smoking Burley and Ginny Weed in mine!!!!

I've got one just like the picture and have only smoked it a few times. I can't get used to the clay feel in my mouth yet. Do you coat your stems with anything?

Growley":b0ghueov said:
I've got one just like the picture and have only smoked it a few times. I can't get used to the clay feel in my mouth yet. Do you coat your stems with anything?
I for one don't; it and it's big brother are the only pipes I don't clench much!

Growley":2ut78oca said:
I have slightly the same problem, I'm a clencher no matter the pipe, but after year of miscare and a lot of $$$ in dentist bills I cannot clench the clay so ots almost like learning to smoke pipe all over again.. Hmm maybe some small soft rubber tube would work like a DIY makeshift softy bit! Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner

The long clay stem was/is meant to be held, not clinched. I put the stem across my middle finger with my fore finger draped on top of it. Then I use my thumb to keep "things" balanced!!! Sounds awkward, but it works. The only time I witnessed someone actually clinching a clay, the stem was so short from being broken off that there wasn't enough stem to hold. Kinda like that short pipe Kevin Costner smoked in "The Hatfield's and McCoy's." FTRPLT

ftrplt":0ni83l2l said:
The long clay stem was/is meant to be held, not clinched. I put the stem across my middle finger with my fore finger draped on top of it. Then I use my thumb to keep "things" balanced!!! Sounds awkward, but it works. The only time I witnessed someone actually clinching a clay, the stem was so short from being broken off that there wasn't enough stem to hold. Kinda like that short pipe Kevin Costner smoked in "The Hatfield's and McCoy's." FTRPLT
from the way I understand it, it doesn't sound awkward at all, sounds like holding a pen or pencil

I'm clearly no expert, but I hold it a little differently.  My thumb and ring finger go below the stem and my middle and index finger go above to hold it in place.  The little nub on the heel rests against my ring finger and gives me a warning to slow down if it gets hot.  Looks a bit odd but it works for me.  Incidentally, my wife saw me smoking the clay yesterday and declared it a "womans" pipe and forbid me to smoke it in public :roll: 
I have seen reference to coating the end in beeswax to keep it from sticking to your lip, but it does not seem worth the effort.
Mike.

Growley":sviyvrx2 said:
Nope, never coated any of mine. Yes, the clay has a bit of "gritty" to it! Another reason to not try and clinch it. Notice the pictured clays...All have a round stem. That's how they are, and traditionally were, molded. I personally have never seen a flat or fish-tailed clay stem. Doesn't mean one doesn't exist; just never seen one!!! The extra long clay stems, or "Tavern Pipes," were made so that a weary traveler could enjoy an evening's worth of smoking; then snap off the bit of stem his mouth had occupied, leaving the pipe for the next traveler. The shorter stems (pictured0 were for individual users. FWIW, FTRPLT

MichaelM":mryn8jej said:
I'm clearly no expert, but I hold it a little differently.  My thumb and ring finger go below the stem and my middle and index finger go above to hold it in place.  The little nub on the heel rests against my ring finger and gives me a warning to slow down if it gets hot.  Looks a bit odd but it works for me.  Incidentally, my wife saw me smoking the clay yesterday and declared it a "womans" pipe and forbid me to smoke it in public :roll: 
I have seen reference to coating the end in beeswax to keep it from sticking to your lip, but it does not seem worth the effort.
Mike.
Not odd at all. Check out B.A. Weavers webpage. The man pictured on his homepage is holding his clay just as you!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

I have a nice clay from Dawn Mist Studios. It's one of her tavern pipes. Smokes wonderfully and has a long churchwarden style stem for easy handling. The bowl does gets hotter than Hades, but whatever I burn in it usually tastes great. While nowhere near as durable or functional, clays are pretty great. To circumvent the sticky lip issue, I usually just rub a little cocoa butter on the end prior to each smoke. Applying a little unflavored Chapstick before hand is helpful too. For the sissies, she also sells models with stems that are glazed on the ends. :p 

From a historical perspective, y'all might enjoy this DAACS Cataloging Manual: Tobacco Pipes, attached as a .pdf

I've also attached a .pdf from the Cambridge Archaeology Field Group report of November 2012, concerning the evolution of clay tobacco pipes in England.

Attachments

• DAACS Tobacco Pipe Manual copy.pdf
    920.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Evolution of English clays-8p.pdf
    708.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited: