Cleaning pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be particular about using vodka as a cleaner because (1), it's safe enough to ingest and (2), it doesn't leave behind a flavor like brandy and burbon does. But now I use 91% rubbing alcohol from the local drugstore and I can't tell any difference except for the money that I'm saving by not buying vodka. :D Besides, I'm more of a beer and wine man anyway . . . . :drunken:

jogilli":p07lpikl said:
about once or twice a year I use nivea (sp?) cream on a kleanex to remove the smoke residue around the top of the bowl
:D

James, what is that, some sort of hand cream? Is there a specific one that you use? Nivea seems to cover many products. I'm guessing that you use it to lubricate the char from the rim and then buff it out with a towel. I'd be interested in hearing a little more about that if you have the time.

Oh yeah, and welcome to BoB. :cheers:

Use what you drink and then you won't be disappointed next time you light up. Unless it's milk or something...

Tin Man

I just take a little hand cream and put it on a kleanex and then wipe it around the top of the bowl until the smoke residue (not char as originally mentioned) has deminished to the point where I can see the wood again and then simply polish it up with a clean cotton cloth (or another kleanex tissue - I use the soft ones, you know the ones that are tender on the nose :))

The fat in the nivea removes the char and recoats the top of the bowl.

Anohter trick for the mouthpiece is toothpaste on a soft toothbrush... but I only do that for pipes I've used alot and then hand buff it again... or reapply caranuba wax with a polishing wheel.

James

artikel_0000009_s_1.jpg

jogilli":o8endppv said:
Tin Man

I just take a little hand cream and put it on a kleanex and then wipe it around the top of the bowl until the char has deminished to the point where I can see the wood again and then simply polish it up with a clean cotton cloth (or another kleanex tissue - I use the soft ones, you know the ones that are tender on the nose :))

The fat in the nivea removes the char and recoats the top of the bowl.

Anohter trick for the mouthpiece is toothpaste on a soft toothbrush... but I only do that for pipes I've used alot and then hand buff it again... or reapply caranuba wax with a polishing wheel.

James

artikel_0000009_s_1.jpg
Interesting about the Nivea,
Got the toothpaste down for fine polishing already!!!!

Cool!