Clogged stem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
I got a nice, larger, 3/4 bent pipe in a lot I won on ebay. It had a very restricted draw from build up in the stem. To try to open it up I ran a couple of pipe cleaners with alcohol through the (removed) stem. It was tough getting them through. Now nothing gets through! I can't even blow through it. I have tried to work cleaners through to no avail. I figure that I loosened up some gunk and maybe left some pipe cleaner 'lint' that clogged it up. I now have the stem soaking in isopropyl alcohol.

The clog seems to be on the bend since a small drill bit has no effect when inserted from either end. Does anybody have any suggestions short of sending it to a pro? I like the pipe but I am not sure it is worth that.

Thanks

Soak the stem in alcohol for an hour or so,
The stem may go dull in the process so you will need to polish it up again!!!
Works well!!!

Thanks for your response, Piet. I have had it soaking in alcohol overnight. Hopefully it will open up when I get to it later today.

clueless":hdxv2sfh said:
Thanks for your response, Piet. I have had it soaking in alcohol overnight. Hopefully it will open up when I get to it later today.
Will work well, make sire you stir it round a bit so there is no air bubbles in the stem, get the alcohol in there!!!
Good luck,keep us posted!!

Good advice Piet, I use alcohol to clean my pipes when I give them the "twice a month" thorough cleaning. Does a wonderful job dissolving the oils and gunk.

BTW Piet, have you ever noticed extra tar and gunk in your burley pipe stems and shanks as compared to say a Va or VaPer pipe? Maybe its because I don't clean my everyday beat around pipes as often, but the pipe cleaners come out cleaner from my Va pipes than my burley pipes.

:cheers:

My wife asked why I drink so much whisky and I said quote "I use alcohol to clean my pipes" keeps a man happy and healthy.

Falconer":29tqefuq said:
My wife asked why I drink so much whisky and I said quote "I use alcohol to clean my pipes" keeps a man happy and healthy.
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Dang BD you only have 4 pipes? (I'm looking at your profile pic) three on the rack and one in your mouth. :suspect:

Falconer":306tuudt said:
Dang BD you only have 4 pipes? (I'm looking at your profile pic) three on the rack and one in your mouth. :suspect:
:( Fraid so Valky ... been pretty desolate here in RSA ... :(
Saving up for another one though :D

edit: I do have 2 cobs on the right of the stand too :roll:

bluedigital":hgotn0fe said:
Falconer":hgotn0fe said:
:( Fraid so Valky ... been pretty desolate here in RSA ... :(
Saving up for another one though :D

edit: I do have 2 cobs on the right of the stand too :roll:
cobs don't count unless you still have an outhouse!

Falconer":46ai6y1y said:
We don't have those here just a Kak Gat .... or a Long Drop, guess the cobs don't count then .... :cry:

bluedigital":7b584i80 said:
Falconer":7b584i80 said:
We don't have those here just a Kak Gat .... or a Long Drop, guess the cobs don't count then .... :cry:
I'm about to remedy that for You BD as soon as the Mrs. gets to CT to do my delivery end of the month!!!
Hang on bro!!

NS, have not paid much attention to it will have a closer look int the future and let you know!
Pete's seem to be dirty smokers no matter what !

Piet Binsbergen":hw0p1amx said:
bluedigital":hw0p1amx said:
Falconer":hw0p1amx said:
I'm about to remedy that for You BD as soon as the Mrs. gets to CT to do my delivery end of the month!!!
Hang on bro!!
:cheers: Who's the man? Thanks bro, I'm soo looking forward to it :cheers:

bluedigital":7gm4us53 said:
Piet Binsbergen":7gm4us53 said:
bluedigital":7gm4us53 said:
Falconer":7gm4us53 said:
Hang on bro!!
:cheers: Who's the man? Thanks bro, I'm soo looking forward to it :cheers:
No sweat Swannie!!! :cheers: