Cob modification (Cobification)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Williamson

Reaction score
I have a MM MacArthur that I picked up at local shop on a whim and having smoked it a few times i determined it was nice yet completely impractical. Well boredem struck the other day and I broke out the tools to see if I could scale down this thing into something more managable. Here are the results.

I cut down the bowl and removed the large section below the stem as well as shortening the stem itself. The final product is about the same as the General pipe but with a unfiltered stem. I also added a hardwood plug to the bottom of the bowl to hopefully prevent burnthrough since the MacArthur's stem doesn't stick out into the bowl like the other MM cob pipes.

Does anyone else carve on their cobs or mod them in any way? One thing I discovered with this is just how tough these things are. That cob was pretty solid! I might see if I can do some more extesive modification with cobs. It would probably make a good rainy day project.

Nice job Williamson,,,if it's better suited to your needs, you'll probably smoke it a lot more,,,,

Don't feel alone Williamson, I often mod my cobs at least a little - removing the stem that protrudes into the bottom of the bowl. Also, a wooden plug in the bottom of those that don't have one. Recently i've been buying the Diplomats, as these have a wood plug in the bottom already (factory). Never had a need to shorten the stem though.

Hey, for the price they are hard to beat. If a little modding makes them better, go for it!

Rob_In_MO":lp66qrrr said:
Don't feel alone Williamson, I often mod my cobs at least a little - removing the stem that protrudes into the bottom of the bowl. Also, a wooden plug in the bottom of those that don't have one. Recently i've been buying the Diplomats, as these have a wood plug in the bottom already (factory). Never had a need to shorten the stem though.

Hey, for the price they are hard to beat. If a little modding makes them better, go for it!
nice mod...
hmmm - the Diplomat's might be the way to go with my first cob pipe... :)

A Diplomat was my first pipe all-together! I just had a bowl in it today as a matter of fact.

Shortening the shank helped make it a much more practical pipe, I think. The angle of the shank should give it a feel very similar to the Freehand. I never alter my cobs.

I had an old churchwarden stem and a cob without a stem....sooooooo I put em together to form the Cobwarden

cobwarden.jpg

JohnnyO,,,How's life been treating you?,,,

nice cobwarden,,,

Nice mods bud, in the future I wouldn't be to concerned about burnout on the bottom of the bowl seeing most burnout takes place on the side walls of the tobacco chamber rather the bottom. its very rare that you will get your tobacco burning that hot towards the bottom of your smoke. Another thing that will protect that end of the bowl from burnout is moisture...that's usually where it all collects. Happy puffing and keep up the great work.