Cob pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cobs are intended to give a great smoke for little coin, which is exactly what they do. I have several.

Davey":xt5dq0hs said:
What is the purpose of a cob pipe? What I mean is, are they all cheap pipes that are to be shunned or are they for a certasin occasion/purpose?
I used to use them just for testing new blends which I feared might infect my briars.

But, I do like the large bowl of the MM Freehand for burley blends, which tend to burn fast (or, perhaps, that I tend to smoke too fast). The bit isn't the best (e.g., discoloration), but for about $25 its been a good smoker, and has been entirely durable and reliable.

Edit: Almost forgot...I also think the MM Ozarks are remarkably fine little wooden pipes for testing, and even for dedicating to blends that you might smoke on occasion but not enough to justify dedicating a more costly briar.

One last thought: throw away those paper filters! Blecch!

The only reason I don't smoke a corncob 90 percent of the time is the aforementioned "hillbilly" angle, and technically I AM a hillbilly! :D In all seriousness, a good cob (MIssouri Meerschaum makes the best IMO) is one of the best smokers you're ever likely to have, especially -- as others have pointed out -- if you smoke a lot of burley blends. I'll add, however, that they're not too bad with Vas, English, Balkan, aromatic, whatever. Best of all, they're relatively cheap and VERY rugged -- if they break or you end up ghosting one with a blend you don't like, toss it out and buy another for $6. I prefer them when I'm driving, outdoors or goofing around the house -- I tend to reserve my briars for when I'm going to be around other people, like at work. Opinions differ on the utility of the filter. I don't like to use them when I'm smoking Vas or latakia mixtures, but they're great for burleys and aromatics -- they tend to smooth out some of the harshness and "mute" the taste of heavily flavored blends. Also, you can easily squeeze a balsa filter into one, and I don't believe those affect the taste at all. The only drawback to them (aside from the fact that people will think you're an idiot if they see you) are the mouthpieces, as others have said. On the other hand, if you come across one that you just don't want to toss out, you can have a stem fitted for it by someone who does repairs.

If'n yall doan hushup, ima gonna tell Uncle Pa. Yall be in trouble forshore. Yall know we done fistycated up buyond all them sterio type thangs.
Hey any Yall ever wunder how come they aint gettin with times and callin it MP3player types?

HEY Davey, you ever get a cob? What do you think about them?

Besides cobs, I have picked up maple and cherrywood cob-sized pipes that I use for aromatics (yes, I do have some...all given to me; wouldn't waste my $$ on them!!) and burleys. I fully admit that there is a unique relationship with these pipes and Burley. As much as I don't care for burley blends; when I have smoked them in a cob, maple, or cherry, they come off pretty well!! Maybe it's just the nostalgia thing!! FTRPLT

Puros,

i had one in my hand last week while I was coming back from a bagpipe lessonin Connecticut. Stopped by this small tobacco store adn plunked one down on the counter. Then I realized I didn't have cash on me and gave them plastic. the wman looked at me and said the minimum is 10.00. With the stem cleaners I had on the counter, along with the pipe I was at 9.88...no joke. "I don't have cash today, sorry."

"Me too," she says. "you can buy more stems if you like." I look at the 300 I have on the counter, and add the 400 I know i have at home, and decide to leave the store on principle....without my cob pipe I was drooling for. I am in retail and for the life of me can never figure out bad business sense in people. For the .30 cents she would kick back to the cc agency, she let me walk out without buying smoehting that most likely yielded a profit margin of 40%. I don't know....I think I am just tired. lol

I suppose I was a bit cranky..but something just rubbed me wrong. So, no..not yet. But most likely this monday. i am heading to Penn on for a 2 day training seminar and want to have a cob for the 3 hr trip. really looking forward to trying my Haunted Bookshop Burley in the cob...I'll let you guys know. :bounce:

This is how that should have went. True story,Great Business.

I was in Joes Cigar in Joliet Illinois, I picked out a Padron 35 (26/64 I forget which it belongs to) I saunter up to the counter, Joe rings me up, I whip out my plastic. "Whoa Bud, 25 buck min on plastic".
"Damn man, all I have is plastic today". I says.
Joe flips me a box of matches n says with a grin " 25 buck min, Sorry, smoke up and enjoy"

Good people to deal with, haven't been up there in a couple years but I need to bobtail in next time.

Now THAT'S a good story!!

..and 26 or 64...you cannot loose.

Thanks Mark! It was a bummer but at the same time "principle" was just hounding on me...

Good news, is I picked up a cob yesterday and fired up my first 2 bowls today with some haunted Bookshop. Wow!! You guys were not joking about the burley/cob combo. I tasted some subtleties and smoothness I never picked up, even in my meer.

I'm leaving this wed for my traing seminar and am looking forweard to the 3 plus hours with my 3 dollar cob. Anything I should know about lighting or breakin? I already scorched the top a bit..hope that is natural. i alos picke dup th eonly one left at the local brick and mortar where i got this ( and yes at a different shop), so it wasn't the "general" which I am looking forward to getting. I can get about 30 minutes on this cob if I am patient.