Cob pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
What is the purpose of a cob pipe? What I mean is, are they all cheap pipes that are to be shunned or are they for a certasin occasion/purpose?

Great for quick smokes and aromatics. Don't have to be broken in, but burn out, not really a big deal since they're cheap. Good for testing new tobaccos.

:farao:

So,

there is really no such thing as a "good" cob pipe?

I generally smoke a cob when I am doing yard work or out fishing on the boat. Dont want to drop one of the nicer ones overboard. I think that they are also a cheap alternative for trying out new blends so as not to taint a pipe with a blend you might not like. Cob pipes are good for their intended purpose, a cheap alternative to an expensive pipe. Do they last as long, no. Do they smoke as good as briar, no. But hell for five bucks if you drop it in the lake you are only out five bucks.

I have a couple of the 7 day set MM made over the years. Some of those have fairly decent bits on them.

Cobs are perfect for outdoors smoking in the cooler and cold weather. Where a briar might produce a lot of condensation, a cob soaks it up. They need to be broke in a bit. After the first few bowls they should be smoking just fine. Oh, I always remove that stupid paper filter thing. It's just a soggy mess waiting to happen. Some have a bit larger bowls, and I like those better.

Cobs can be a fine smoking pipe. :pipe:

Cobs are great smokers Davey! They are some better quality ones with larger bowls that you can find on the net. MM use to make one called The General that I have a couple of that are a great size. There are still a couple of places that you can get them. I have been smoking the two Generals that I have for years with no problem.

I smoke a cob when I have the hankering for a nice aromatic or a topped or cased blend that I don't want to soil a thousand dollar pipe. Almost all of my pipes are dedicated to VA and vaper's so cobs come in handy when I need a change of pace in the form of a nice aromatic. I'd say I smoke a cob at least once a week.

I think I am beginning to see the picture. AND, I am getting excited to pick up a cob. I see the possiblities..

Kinda like a workhorse tobaccy only on the other end?

So I can google MM Cob pipes and should be able to find a "General" Mark/Carlos?

Davey,

Sorry, when I responded to this thread earlier I didn't have time to post these websites but here are some resourses for corn cobs.

These two sites you can still find the General which is my favorite cob.
http://www.smokeshack.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8

http://www.frenchyspipes.com/index.php?crn=206&rn=942&action=show_detail

Frenchy only charges $5.50 for the Generals but he only has the straights in stock. Ziggy is asking $10.50 for them but he as bents and straights. I think it is worth it because the way they are finished they last a long long time.

Here is the direct link to Missouri Merschaum and you can buy directly from them. They weren't listing the general the last time I check but a good alternative is the Great Dane and American. It looks like the light colored pipe in the American Series is the exact same thing as the old General. It is a good size cob.

http://www.corncobpipe.com/

This should point you in the right direction.

Davey,

I smoke a cob at work, at least 4 bowls a day. I've had this cob about a year now and she is a smoking machine. Its a MM Country Gentleman. I sanded off the finish on the bowl so it breathes a little better and I reworked the bit to make it a little more comfortable. By all means try a cob, highly recommended.

309_large_image.jpg

I also like to smoke cobs while I am driving. That way if during a re-light the flame hits the rim, I don't worry about it like I would on a good briar pipe. Also for some reason, Burley blends tend to smoke well in a cob. I also take out the filters.

Good thread Davey.

Looks like I'm gonna have to pick me up a cob pipe so's I can get to smokin' some of me tabbaccy in! Won't I?

Lucky

Indeed Lucky, Indeed.

Great stuff guys. I also like the MM you mention, Night. I wonder what the deal is with burley and Cob?

I also really enjoy my MM Country Gentleman (both straight and bent) frequently. I especially enjoy them with a straight burley, such as Nut Brown or Golden Extra. The plastic stems are small and feel "funky" in the mouth, so I slide a softy pipe bit over the end, but they are kind of loose in those small stems. If you order from the MM company, I recommend getting extra stems, their cheap and I find they don't last as long as the bowl does.

Natch

Yes,
I have been window shopping and think I am sold on an MM Country Gent meself.

Thanks guys....still wondering what is the majic with cob and Burley?

Davey the Perisistent

Davey":d4iu7hyx said:
still wondering what is the majic with cob and Burley?
I don't exactly know myself, it just is. Maybe it has something to do with the corn essence and burley mixing together. Some people say that they get a "buttery" taste from the combo. I have never really got a buttery taste but it definitely enhances the flavor of whatever burley blend I'm smoking. Sometimes I'll get a little more nuttiness or sometimes it will be a little more creamy, depends on the blend.

Most Rite Aid, CVS, drugstores will have some cobs near their bulk baccy, behind the counter now a days, find the Garcia Vega and your in the right area.

Most of those Tobacco Marts, Cig stores etc etc will carry them to.

These are the same Misouri Meershum brand as what you are looking at online.

Personally I don't like them, but a lot of that is the Mental Stigma of the cartoonish Hillbilly in a straw hat, bib overalls, and a cob pipe.
Oddly the moonshine jug part has never bothered me. :D not after the third or fourth draw anyway. :p

LOL. Well is good to know! I don't suppose they would have it labeled somewhere..
..and along PB's line, that is why I have scoffed at the idea of a cob pipe...

...until you guys started mentioning them here. :D

a lot of that is the Mental Stigma of the cartoonish Hillbilly in a straw hat, bib overalls, and a cob pipe.
[/quote]

Hey, them's my folk! I'm related to them (and I do mean all of them!). :cyclops:

Natch