Cob question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Not many folks here today but maybe some can give me their ideas on this. Since most cobs come with the usual "Medico" style cardboard filter in them, at least MM cobs do, do you smoke yours with or without these filters in them? I have two cobs and have just pulled these apertences out and smoked 'em without them. I noticed that non filter accepting bits are available but find the wide open draw the OEM bits provide seems just fine to me! What are you Cob affiionado's opinion on this ? :twisted: :twisted:

I smoke 'em without. And I usually cut the flashing from the cheap original bits with a knife to smooth them up. I like that you can chew them, then replace without much cost. But the Forever stems are better. Way better. And I haven't really noticed tobacco bits slipping into the shank without the filter, but apparently some smokers have.

My S.O.P.;
Buy cob, remove stem, pull filter, replace stem, fill with tobacco, light, never look back.

I heard a couple of old smokers say they always just pulled the filters out of pipes and smoked them without. Whether a cob or a Sav, didn't matter. I heard this as a new piper and have always done it too. I've found no reason to deviate. Perhaps the one exception is my newer Brigham. I smoke that with the filter in but it doesn't get in the way like the rest of them.

I toss them. I have enough trouble keeping flints, pipe cleaners, butane, cleaning supplies, etc. in stock without worrying about filters.

They get soggy and I'd hate to leave them in. I question how how efficient they are, but to each their own.

Richard Burley":438tp0z2 said:
I smoke 'em without. And I usually cut the flashing from the cheap original bits with a knife to smooth them up. I like that you can chew them, then replace without much cost. But the Forever stems are better. Way better. And I haven't really noticed tobacco bits slipping into the shank without the filter, but apparently some smokers have.

This for me 100%. Well said Richard!

8)

And I really need to get some forever stems. When I get a round tuit!

Cheers,

RR

would never smoke a pipe with a filter! thats like smoking a bogie with one...its for ladies!

Sounds like no filter is the consensus and I certainly WOULD NOT do ANYTHING a LADY would do !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":blmxmijc said:
Sounds like no filter is the consensus and I certainly WOULD NOT do ANYTHING a LADY would do !! :twisted: :twisted:
sure sure mr. granny panties :face:

Bugsahearn":hropgsqz said:
monbla256":hropgsqz said:
sure sure mr. granny panties :face:
You a REAL MAN!! :twisted: :twisted:

My opinion probably doesn't count for much as I hardly ever smoke a cob as i like briar and meerschaum much better.
That said, I smoke a new cob once with the filter and then throw the filter away.  To each his/her own.  No such thing as a wrong way to do it. :cyclops:

Filter in a cob is great when the tongue has gotten a little sore.

I go to a filtered cob when smoking by the pond on a windy day. The filter helps prevent steam burn. The soggy filter is proof it is catching the moisture that could have done damage.

FWIW, I seldom throw a treasured tobacco into a filtered cob.

Without.

Richard Burley":z1wf93r3 said:
And I usually cut the flashing from the cheap original bits with a knife to smooth them up.
What's the flashing? :?:

Puffer Mark":ztzrz8qe said:
Without.

Richard Burley":ztzrz8qe said:
And I usually cut the flashing from the cheap original bits with a knife to smooth them up.
What's the flashing? :?:
I think it's the term for the excess material that gets squeezed out of a mold. Now you have me wondering. In any event, if you look at a cheap bit you'll notice that it looks like two halves slapped together, with a thin line running the circumference of the length . If you've ever bought a do-it-yourself pipe kit, you would really notice it on the crudely unfinished bit. Sometimes that line is quite excessive on a cob bit, and I swear I've cut my tongue on it once or twice, where it extends to the slot.

Michael, it just depends on the brand of cob for me.

I smoke my MM's with a half filter. I say half filter, because once you start using a Forever Stem, you need to cut your filters in half, because a full length filter won't fit anymore. This obviously makes your filters go twice as far. As to whether they are effective, every time I pull one out of a cob, they are brown and saturated with moisture, so I am assuming they are pulling some of the moisture out of the smoke stream.

Also, while I am on the subject, some folks think that they can't use a pipe cleaner with these filters, but the truth is, the pipe cleaner will slip right through the center of the filter. This should also give you an idea of how much restriction you get, using this style of filter, and how much it affects tobacco flavor.

Now, on my Riccardo Santia cobs and my Doug Erwin cobs, I use no filters, because they are not designed to use them. Ditto on my new Chris Morgan Reverse Calabash Cob Wasp, which is a filterless style cob as well.

Thanks Dutch. Though I've never been a stinger/filter kinda guy.I'm thinking I might give these little cardboard tubes a try as I smoke mostly Aro's in my cobs and they can get a bit moister than my Va's in my briars. :twisted: :twisted:

Sometimes I use the filter and sometimes I don't. It depends on the tobacco I'm smoking at the time. If it's a nice Straight Va. or Vaper then I don't use the filter however if it's an Aromatic I always use a filter for them regardless whether cob or briar. The filters remove a lot of moisture that can lead to tongue bite. I like sweet tasting blends and aromatic can satisfy this craving. All of the pipes I've bought during the past year can be used with a 9mm filter. If I don't want to use the filter I just drop in the little converter. This way I can use the pipe for any kind of tobacco I choose without having to deal with tongue bite. :)

AJ

Bugsahearn":kv5papnr said:
would never smoke a pipe with a filter! thats like smoking a bogie with one...its for ladies!
There was a day that the old codger that lived behind us said the same thing about cigarettes. Look where that went.

Most of the European Union already has, or will have in the future, a requirement that pipes manufactured and/or sold there accept some sort of a filter. With the government stickin its fingers in various forms of smoking legislation and the transition to universal healthcare, how long before the States adopt something along those lines?

I personally don't use the cardboard one, but the Savinelli Balsa filters are the same size, (6mm), they fit perfectly in the cobs that have a stem designed to take a filter and I use them all the time. The Balsa has no effect on taste or nicotine but give a universally drier smoke, who doesn't want a drier smoke?

Ever have a blend that predisposed to bite the tip of your tongue? Try it with a 9mm, the results are amazing. Virginia #1 IMHO is a really fresh and tasty blend but bites me like a rabid dog every time. I put it in a 9mil pipe and its one of the best smokes I've had and I didn't notice any change in the flavor.

OTOH, put something like Presbyterian in it and all the little nuances are gone. It's just like anything else in this finicky hobby we have, there's give and take, some good some bad and in the end whatever works for you is what's best. More importantly, whatever works for the newb coming through the ranks that gives this favorite past time of ours a future. I wouldn't discourage anybody from giving it an honest shot...

Just my opinion...