Code on Bottom of Can?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
I picked up a can of Frog Morton OTB while traveling today and was looking at the code on the bottom. Is there a way to tell how old it is by looking at this? It says 440706.

I looked around for a site that tells how to determine the age of tobacco tins and making sense of the codes, but didn't have any luck.

The age of Frog Morton blends doesn't have any relevance as they are so heavily cased with ketchup and malt vinegar that the flavor never changes, mellows or is inhanced with age. :eek:

I've kinda heard about that with the frog. Will all the other tins of GL, C&D, etc. that I'll be receiving soon have cryptic codes on the bottom? Just trying to figure out how to decipher these. With Cope you just flip the can over and look at the date is was canned. Guess it's a little more simple when dealing with the rednecks. :tongue:

Someone will come through for you... likely the 06 is the year... there's a batch number there as well.

Frog Morton is loved by many smokers... JP's taster is on the one-way fast tract to Walnut.

A while ago there was concern about a blend... the code was referred to as a "production date" and the two dates were referred to on a post at SF as
dates have shown up (11/14/06 and 11/17/06).

I've been told that only the last two digits are meaningful; to the consumer, that is. The last two characters represent the year, the rest are all McClelland internal codes.