Coffee pot ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZONSLOW

Reaction score
I work in the food service industry and have for years. Last week we had a large catering event,after all the food was cooked and served , we began cleaning up.I was giving the waitstaff a hand by cleaning out of the large coffee urns... The chef came and asked me what I was doing... He then told me quite angrily that you never clean a coffee pot. He informed me that it removes all the oils and residues from the coffee pots? this guy went to culinary school and is a good cook,I have not. My question is, HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS? I am sure the board of health would agree with me,but then again I don't have any formal training so I am just keeping my mouth shut...

You should clean coffee pots. Coffee oils and grounds and what nots are organic compound and will go rancid if left to just sit there. Have you ever forgotten to dump the grounds out of a filter basket of a coffee pot? I have, things can start to grow very quickly. For the inner workings of a coffee maker you shouldn't use soap as it will not be able to rinse very well, vinegar or a specific coffee equipment cleaner would be best for that part. But carafes should definitely be cleaned.

I've heard this. I've seen this. I've seen people who are one of those morning break room coffee braggarts who don't ever wash their cup. I've seen Chemex Drip Coffee Carafes with more build-up than bongs I used to see in college. No thanks. Like anything, I'm betting there is a point where it has negative returns.

The chef told me quite angrily that you never clean a coffee pot. He informed me that it removes all the oils and residues from the coffee pots? HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS?
The "chef" is out of his mind! The best cup of coffee is made from a pot which is virtually sterile.

I worked in a diner, and they would clean carafes each night with a combination of ice, salt, and lemon juice and just swish it around and dump. No scrubbing. I haven’t looked it up but I also never encountered it before or since. Seems strange to me.

A lot of morons are out there who indeed refuse to clean coffee pots - mainly the MOKA type - it's incorrect regardless - the pots need to be cleaned due to oil and resin - Always clean coffee pots and makers

I worked in a diner, and they would clean carafes each night with a combination of ice, salt, and lemon juice and just swish it around and dump. No scrubbing. I haven’t looked it up but I also never encountered it before or since. Seems strange to me.
We would use salt and ice to help clean stains in the carafe, it works pretty good

I am a mix. My Chemex stays quite clean. My coffee cup is usually cleaned when the cleaning lady comes. Otherwise, I just use it. When I worked in the food service industry, we cleaned pots with crushed ice, Ajax, and little water every night at closing.

It all works.