Coffee: Pour Over vs. Drip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Yesterday, I dropped by a local coffee shop that is also a roaster. Everything is small batch. You select the varietal of coffee you want them to make. It's ground, put in a small conical strainer and hot water is poured over. The coffee was very good.

I have Bodum, Chemex, and Coffee Gator pour over pots, as well as glass and stainless French press pots. I also have stove top moka pots, a small electric espresso machine, a Keurig, and a 4-cup (20 oz) Mr. Coffee with a stainless basket.
I asked the proprietor of the coffee shop the real difference in the cup between pour over and drip, using a permanent stainless basket. He basically said with pour over you have better control of water temperature and how the water reaches the ground coffee.

Last week, I exclusively used the programmable Mr. Coffee with the stainless coffee basket, setting it to begin its brew cycle for 15 minutes after I normally haul my burro out of bed. I only filled the water reservoir with 16 oz of water and used four heaping coffee scoops of Lavazza Crema de Gusto. It was so nice smelling the coffee being made as I got dressed.

This week I am making 14 oz of cold press every day, for heating on the following day in the microwave. The coffee is very good, but clean-up is as messy as pour over, French press, moka pot, Mr. Coffee w/stainless basket, etc.

To be very honest, I've grown to absolutely detest the clean-up. The Keurig is fine for me if I only want a 5 oz. cup, but my regular cup is 14 oz.

The easiest clean-up, of course, is Mr. Coffee with a paper filter. Next week, I'm going to see if I can used to Mr.Coffee with unbleached paper filters. If I'm satisfied with the product, Goodwill may be getting a lot of assorted coffee makers.

I've had a lot of coffee in my day, prepared about every way possible. My favorites will always be espresso followed by chemex. Like you Steve, I hate the clean up and now that I look at it my espresso machine and chemex are also probably the easiest clean up there is.

When it comes to pour over I think chemex is the bees knees. Hands down the smoothest cleanest cup of coffee. Hasn't changed since I think the 40s. And it is just a nice looking thing as well, they have one on display at the Smithsonian...going to go ahead and order some new filters for mine now.

If I didn't have to clean up, my favorite method of making coffee is:
1. Put four standard scoops of freshly ground dark roast coffee in a 24 oz metal cup.
2. Pour about 4 oz of boiling water over the grounds and stir until it looks like a slurry.
3. Pour an additional 12 oz. of boiling water over the coffee and stir until all the grounds appear to be suspended.
4. Walk away for a couple of minutes.
5. Insert 2 filters in the Bodum or Chemex carafe.
6. Pour the coffee slowly into the carafe through the double filter.
7. Pour the coffee from the carafe to the travel cup and take a sip.
8. Clean the metal cup, dump the grinds from the filters, wash the filters and the carafe.
9. Clean all the drips and spills and the stirring spoon.
10.Take a much needed nap.

I had the Breville machine, pictured below, but gave it to a friend, because it took up too much room and I got tired of the clean-up.

breville-barista-express-espresso-machine-o.jpg

Gotten into the routine of using a Meuller…Kurig style brewer…single K cups. At the moment I go back and forth between Peets (Major Dickason Blend) and self filled plastic thingies. I used to use Community Coffee brand but found both Peets and Starbucks to be superior, depending on the blend. Dark roast but not into French or Italian roast. I wait for the price to hit about $0.50 per cup. I know I could look for cheaper coffee but I want it to taste good, so…

Human nature is so interesting. When my time was limited, I rather enjoyed the process of making coffee and didn't mind the clean-up. It was all part of the ritual. Now, when I have immeasurable free time, I'd prefer that someone would knock on the door and hand me a cup of coffee.

Gotten into the routine of using a Meuller…Kuerig style brewer…single K cups. At the moment I go back and forth between Peets (Major Dickason Blend) and self filled plastic thingies.
I do really like that Major Dickason Blend, but the K cups are about a buck each.

How we change.......
Years ago, I had a rotisserie basket to fit over a gas grill. I had a guy in Canada who would ship me Cuban Turquino green beans, which I'd carefully roast. Now, I can't even imagine messing around with that. I was also a member of the now defunct Green Coffee Coop.

I wonder if I'm just a cheapskate when it comes to coffee. I go to Costco Business Center and buy Lavazza whole bean dark roast 2.2 lb. bag for $9.99 or to Restaurant Depot where I buy locally roasted Cameron's organic whole bean espresso roast $20.00, 4 lb. bag. And, of course, Amazon periodically has various Lavazza 2.2 lb. bags from $9.99 to $12.99. I also bought DiAquino decaf espresso, one pound cans, for $2.99 at Trader Joe's.
Yup, I am cheap.

I’d rather pay for good coffee. 😁
I'm not certain that I know what's good anymore. The other day, I stopped in at the Starbucks that's very close to my house. Large dark roast with tip, $4.00. It was terrific. I asked myself if it was worth $28.00 a week and the answer was "maybe". I am so tired of farting around with this burr grinder and the other burr grinder and should I use the French press or pour over, moka pot on the induction cooktop, or the espresso maker or the drip, or should I just make cold press and heat it in the morning?

Locally, Holiday-link Gas Stations often have a "special" $5.99 for a cup of coffee every day for a month.
If a Holiday station were within 5 minutes of my house, I'd retire all my coffee gear.

BEVERAGE SUBSCRIPTION, SIP & SAVE!
Enjoy the beverage of your choice every day for just $5.99 a month (30 days).

WHAT DO YOU GET?
One Drink a Day, Every Day for 30 Days
Includes Hot and Iced Coffee, Polar Pop, Froster and Iced Tea
Any size cup, including refills up to 64oz

One redemption per day
sip_save_button.png

Last edited:
For me, good quality beans and an espresso machine or a plunger, nothing less. Chemex is nice but doesn't get the brew strong enough for my tastes. For all other types, forget about it. Though cold press was nice if left for 48 hours, buggered if I'm warming it up though, so it was a Summer brew for me.

For me, good quality beans and an espresso machine or a plunger, nothing less. Chemex is nice but doesn't get the brew strong enough for my tastes. For all other types, forget about it. Though cold press was nice if left for 48 hours, buggered if I'm warming it up though, so it was a Summer brew for me.
One thing I enjoy about this forum is the things I have in common with everyone. I had mentioned my love of coffee and the many methods for brewing!
I have been roasting green beans for over 20 years and the cup it produces is amazing! Most people don't realize that coffee loses flavor even stored in a vacuum after about 5 days after roasting and that's why home roasting is so popular! Plus, you can roast single origin beans from various areas around the world to get various tastes profiles! I see where some of you are getting coffee from a local roaster which is good if it's fresh.
I have noticed there are several pour over fans here which is my favorite method. I have used a Chemex for years and about a year ago I started using a Hario device which I now prefer over a Chemex which I still use . About two weeks ago I purchased a Clever Dripper (be careful as there are knockoffs ) pour over and I think it may produce a better cup than the Chemex and Hario. There is a method to using it though. You add the coffee then pour the water into it and let it sit for one min 30 seconds. Then you remove the top and stir the top of the water with a spoon. Then replace the top and let if brew for another 3 mins and 30 seconds. Then give it one last stir and place it on your cup and it then drips into your cup.

For auto brewing I have a Tecnivorm Moccamaster that I have had for over 20 years. Yes , it's expensive, but that's why it's lasted for that period of time! It's also the only coffee brewer that's approved by the SCAA. Most coffee brewers don't heat the water hot enough to get proper extraction. The Technivorm is 1475 watts and the elements are all copper.
I am no means an expert on coffee, just sharing my passion for both pipe smoking and coffee! Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee!
Have a great and healthy New Year!

One thing I enjoy about this forum is the things I have in common with everyone. I had mentioned my love of coffee and the many methods for brewing!
I have been roasting green beans for over 20 years and the cup it produces is amazing! Most people don't realize that coffee loses flavor even stored in a vacuum after about 5 days after roasting and that's why home roasting is so popular! Plus, you can roast single origin beans from various areas around the world to get various tastes profiles! I see where some of you are getting coffee from a local roaster which is good if it's fresh.
I have noticed there are several pour over fans here which is my favorite method. I have used a Chemex for years and about a year ago I started using a Hario device which I now prefer over a Chemex which I still use . About two weeks ago I purchased a Clever Dripper (be careful as there are knockoffs ) pour over and I think it may produce a better cup than the Chemex and Hario. There is a method to using it though. You add the coffee then pour the water into it and let it sit for one min 30 seconds. Then you remove the top and stir the top of the water with a spoon. Then replace the top and let if brew for another 3 mins and 30 seconds. Then give it one last stir and place it on your cup and it then drips into your cup.

For auto brewing I have a Tecnivorm Moccamaster that I have had for over 20 years. Yes , it's expensive, but that's why it's lasted for that period of time! It's also the only coffee brewer that's approved by the SCAA. Most coffee brewers don't heat the water hot enough to get proper extraction. The Technivorm is 1475 watts and the elements are all copper.
I am no means an expert on coffee, just sharing my passion for both pipe smoking and coffee! Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee!
Have a great and healthy New Year!
While reading this at first I thought "we might get along"... until you said you prefer the Hario over the Chemex lol just kidding, everyone knows that the best kind of coffee is the one that YOU enjoy. I also roast my own coffee, have been for about 10 years now. Have wanted a Technivorm for a long time but the price is kind of high (not for me but for the wife lol).

What do you use to roast? I started with a wirlypop popcorn popper and currently use a Behmor 1600 plus. I do have dreams of getting a legit gas roster, just like a 3-5 kilo drum.

While reading this at first I thought "we might get along"... until you said you prefer the Hario over the Chemex lol just kidding, everyone knows that the best kind of coffee is the one that YOU enjoy. I also roast my own coffee, have been for about 10 years now. Have wanted a Technivorm for a long time but the price is kind of high (not for me but for the wife lol).

What do you use to roast? I started with a wirlypop popcorn popper and currently use a Behmor 1600 plus. I do have dreams of getting a legit gas roster, just like a 3-5 kilo drum.
Tnx so much for the reply and so glad to see there are other home roasters on the forum! Nothing like a cup from a home roast!
I too, have been through many roasters as they lead a rough life due to the heat. I also have a Behmor and it has outlasted any roaster I have had by many yrs and I keep waiting on it to die! It's over 10 years old!
I have used popcorn poppers and several regular roasters some of which are no longer on the market. I think my next one with be a Gene Cafe. Where do you purchase your green beans? I have used several suppliers , but my go to is Sweet Marias. Tom is a certified cupper and does cupping all over the world. He also has great tip sheets for many types of brewers and it's his tip sheet I am using for the Clever Dripper. He now sells a souped up popcorn popper with a timer and adjustable heat. As you know, for pour over, you need a kettle with the correct spout. The Hario has a much larger drain hole than a Chemex and you must do a slower pour than with a Chemex.
As far as grinders, I have always used Baratza's which produce a very consistent grind.
Happy roasting!