Coffee: Pour Over vs. Drip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a very sad email:
The Green Coffee Coop is shutting down on 11-18-2017
After 12 years the GCC will be going dark on 11-18-2017. It has been a long run and a hell of a lot of fun!
I would like to thank everyone one who distributed coffees and help administer the site. And I would like to thank all the members who made this such a great coffee community for so many years! I have learned a lot about coffee and coffee roasting from our members over the years.
I wish I had an accurate count of the amount of coffee that we have sold here at the coop. I know I have sold tons!
With all this being said I have started a closed FaceBook group called "Friends of the GCC" so our members can stay in contact and continue to distribute coffees. So far 66 members have made their way over to the group. There has been more coffee talk on the Facebook group since it started than the coop's forum in the last two years. Hopefully this format will work out.
This is the address:
Friends Of The GCC
If you place an order or have placed an order this week they will be packed on Monday 11/20. Any of the coffee currently in the shopping cart will be available on the FaceBook group when the site goes down. Sales on FaceBook will have to be done by email and Pay-Pal invoice.
Happy Roasting!
The Artfuldodger

After the Green Coffee Coop shut down, I quit home roasting. The Coop had 1100 members. The Facebook group, less than 200.

The easiest clean-up, of course, is Mr. Coffee with a paper filter. Next week, I'm going to see if I can used to Mr.Coffee with unbleached paper filters. If I'm satisfied with the product, Goodwill may be getting a lot of assorted coffee makers.
No question; clean up with paper filters and Mr.Coffee is the easiest. The coffee is acceptable if I get to it within a few minutes of the time a cycle is complete. If it sits on the heated base for over 15 minutes, it starts to taste a little scorched. For taste, alone, I really like cold press that's been brewing in the fridge for a couple of days before being strained. I do heat it. by the cup, in the microwave. I make 42 consumable ounces at a time and I have cleanup every three days.

Last edited:
Okay, today I had nothing to do, so I "experimented" if you can call what I did an experiment.
I ground enough Lavazza Crema e Gusto beans for eight standard coffee scoop spoons. I put four scoops in a paper filter in my four cup Mr. Coffee. I put 16 oz of cold tap water in Mr.Coffee's water reservoir.
I also heated 16 oz of cold tap water in my Hamilton Beach hot pot and put four scoops of the freshly ground coffee in my Bodum pour through filter.
Both had the same grounds and quantity. Same water.
Could I tell the difference in taste, provided that I didn't allow the coffee brewed via Mr.Coffee to sit on its heated base post brew?
And the answer is: Yes. I believe the heated water from the hot pot extracted more flavor from the ground coffee. However, if someone handed me a cup of each and didn't tell me which was made by which method, I honestly wouldn't know.
Clean-up...Mr.Coffee wins, dump the grounds in the paper filter,,,done
Bodum...dump the grounds, clean the filter and the carafe

I too have a Moccamaster, a Chemex, aero press, press pot, moka pot, vac pot, clever, and others. I use only whole bean coffee and grind it using a Baratza Preciso. These machines are user serviceable and Baratza’s customer service is top notch.

I’ve roasted my own greens for many years using a Behmor. Prior to that I used an air popper. Now I purchase fresh roasted coffee from Coava in Portland. It’s roasted and arrives the day after it was roasted. For what we drink, that’s a perfect amount of time for degassing to occur. I do miss roasting my own and will get back into it some day, but until life settles down I’ll utilize Coava.

I would argue that cleaning up a Chemex isn’t any worse than cleaning up a drip coffee maker, unless you’re the type that doesn’t clean your coffee pot … in that case… gross.

I can understand the appeal of a Keureg, I use them at work. I’ve been considering bringing a pour over kit so I can avoid it. Pour overs are vastly better and the clean-up is worth it.

I order a Moccamaster online last week,it should be here shortly! Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I will be using roasted beans from Amazon to start,grinding them in a nutra-bullet ?

Fresh roasted beans is the best advice I can give, that and good clean water. Would recommend a decent burr grinder if that is an option

A Mr. Coffee with Dunkin' coffee for both of us. When I want a treat I use a Bialetti with Illy mocha ground coffee just for me. She doesn't care for it.

I order a Moccamaster online last week,it should be here shortly! Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I will be using roasted beans from Amazon to start,grinding them in a nutra-bullet ?
A quality piece of equipment that you will enjoy for years! Mine is 22 years old. The best advice I can give you is actually from Tom, the owner of Sweet Marias. The grind/filter container has a push tab that has 3 adjustments. When pushed to the bottom it stops the flow. All the way up gives the fastest flow. You should set it in the middle which will reduce the flow some and allow for a better extraction! It makes a huge difference. This may not make sense, but you will see what I am talking about when it arrives.
Enjoy!!

I've been in Florida for a month, and a few days. Thank God I am back home to my Chemex!

If I had to have a drip maker, it would be a Bunn. 3 minutes and you have a pot of coffee. Good dependable makers that can be rebuilt locally if it's a commercial style. I fresh grind beans when at all possible. Usually 5 lb bags from Coffee Beans Direct. I've never roasted my own.

If you're looking for a top notch drip coffee maker do a search for "SCA gold cup brewers" I believe SCA is the Specialty Coffee Association. We got the Certified Braun coffee maker and the quality of coffee approaches pour over.

The BEST way to make coffee!!!

Take THAT James Hoffmann! :)

Last edited:
With all due respect to the chap in the video, I have absolutely no desire to drink boiled Folgers coffee.

I posted that with tongue in cheek but it's a good way to make coffee if you use good coffee. On the kitchen stove top I've always thought the best coffee came out of a percolator but then, I grew up on that way of brewing coffee.

I've gone back and forth from one process to another. I keep going back to French Press. I enjoy the finished product the most. Clean-up is messy but I've got a system so it's not to bad.

The best coffee maker I have found so far is the Moccamaster. It is a simple system that just works. To me it comes very close to stove top brewing- big difference is Moccamaster brews a pot in under 5 minutes.