Collectors, where does your interest lie?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
We're smokers but we seem to have the collecting bug as well. We start off buying this or that, random additions of multiple styles and makes, finally finding a maker or style or genre that fits our fancy and we're off, creating little collections for the sake of collecting. What was your journey like, where did it take you, and where do you see yourself heading?

I started off collecting odds and ends, everything from inexpensive EBay estates to brand new high grades. After a bit I realized that I didn't like vulcanite, especially old vulcanite. Out went the Dunhills, Charatans and Barlings that I had gathered up. I also started out with more expendable income than I've had the last couple of years (pre children, pre recession) so I was no longer buying S Bang, Hedegaard, and Chonowitsch. I sold off almost all of my high dollar pipes (except the Castellos and a couple of odds and ends) and by the time I was finished I probably had bought and sold over a hundred pipes. I learned a lot along the way.

So what is left? A small rack of Italians, mostly Castello, a couple of Mastro De Paja and Viprati. A rack of odds and ends - a couple of Ashtons, Jeppesons, GRC, IMP meers, a couple of old Brits that I kept just cuz. All of the above are the pipes I kept because they smoke so darned well. They don't represent a focused collection but a culling, the best of the best of what I'd bought over the years. OK, the Catellos are almost a collection, it was intended to be a collection because I love them the best among all makers, but there are only eight of them and too few to be a solid representation of the brand. Maybe some day I'll be able to finish and have a much better representaion of the fine design offered up by the maker, but for now they're out of my price range.

Then there are the Stanwells. About a dozen, showing most of the shapes they do that I like best. A true collection representative of the brand. Fine smokers, all of them. Still a few more shapes that I'd like to aquire, could probably bring that number up to twenty, hang a nice rack on the wall just for them, and be quite pleased with it.

Aside from finishing that, in my forseeable future I can see the means for doing the same with Petersons. They make some fantastic shapes, I've always loved their shapes, but I've always hated their vulcanite and the P lip. Over the years I've bought and subsequently gotten rid of several Petes simply because the stems were, IMHO, crap. But now they make some fine acrylic stems and this changes everything! I got my first a couple of years ago, the Smokers Forums pipe of the year, a Peterson Rosslare with the acrylic faux amber stem. A great pipe. Since then I've managed to get a couple more Petes with Acrylic stems and they are perect. They make enough interesting shapes that I could easily spend the next several years happily hunting them down as the funds for them trickle in. A rack on one wall for a Stanwell Tribute, a rack on the other for a Peterson tribute, all great smokers highlighting two of the best production makers of our time. Sounds like an honorable pursuit 8)

Beyond that? Who knows. Old Caminettos interest me but as of now I have never owned one.

After coming across a lot of crap I've started to be a bit more selective in my purchases. It has to look cool, be pretty hefty and the stem has to be just pressure fitted, no metal, no threaded, and no where for gunk to hide from a pipe cleaner. Brands for the most part don't matter since the crappy brands don't make stuff that falls within my criteria.

Puff Daddy":1ok8n7pp said:
I started off collecting odds and ends, everything from inexpensive EBay estates to brand new high grades. After a bit I realized that I didn't like vulcanite, especially old vulcanite. Out went the Dunhills, Charatans and Barlings that I had gathered up.

Old Caminettos interest me but as of now I have never owned one.
Funny, I'm going through this scenario right now!
Vulcanite has started to irritate the puffing corner of my mouth, so I've been transitioning from rubber to acrylic. This change over does coincide with a greater appreciation of older Castello's, as well as modern ones. Strange how that worked out!
I still keep an eye out for nice bulldogs/rhodesians, and I've kept most of my best examples, but Italian bent pots are my latest fixation. I did recently add my first Caminetto to the stable, and it's a nice 70's model 108.

I have not been smoking a pipe as long as you, But I have aquired a few pipes. I cant afford the high dollar ones and I found I enjoy restoring the estate pipes that I get. Its a joy to bring a old pipe back to its beauty. Mine its not so much of a collection, to have a collection. Thinking on this I believe mine are more like my tools that I use. Always needing a new tool for the job, and have to have a tool box full. :roll: I dont like just any tool, it has to be the ones I like. I have alot of craftsman, I have alot of savinellis. I have some snap on, I have some petersons. and so on. Each on has its purpose, and is cared for. They get scattered some times. but eventually get cleaned up and put up. Both are cherished and are important. That might be why mine are not on a display on a wall but where I can reach to get the one I want at the time. on my desk, in my truck, in the van when I have to take my daughter any where. There are also tobacco stashes in these place I said. Just like the tools that are stashed in these vehicals, and in my desk drawer. The only thing is. wait a minute there is a pipe in my roll around in the garage. Maybe if craftsman made a pipe I would have it. All this ramblin on I guess Ive got it bad :shock:

In my good days when I was able to get around to tag sales and such I started out collecting Free hands and found others that appealed to me also and most I could pick up for about $5 like Karl Erick's, Preben Holm's, and even Peterson's Etc. and from there it went nuts. I have many categories of pipes and still collect all, not really being able to nail one certain type down. They all appeal to me although I don't smoke many of them, sticking to a few cobs and a meer for rotation. Wish I could just collect one type or brand but, it seems impossible for me. I do enjoy them all and not necessarily buying low dollar ones, it just depends whether I like it or not. Although because of my lack of wealth I do tend to stay away from pipes ranging in $300 and up category but, have been able to get some deals on some. It seems I'm a collector first and only a smoker second. I do admit there's been times I've bought some real garbage and learn a few hard lessons but, these were because of bad or lack of photos and or bad descriptions and my lack of questions. Which by the way, hardly ever get answered properly on eBay. All in all, I enjoy collecting pipes and I don't see me slowing down anytime soon.

Ended up back where I pretty much started from. A friend-mentor in "real" (non-drugstore) pipes who owned a pipe shop sold me a couple "estates" from his collection when I was on a straightgrain trip -- an old Parker Straightgrain A billiard (very well smoked in 1974, so maybe ca. 1950) and an even older little Peterson DeLuxe 458 Apple (no country of origin stamp but N/L after the name). Both are still favorites & (after re-stems -- lucite on the Parker by LL) smoked with enjoyment today.

Had at one time & either traded or gave away all of the big names except for a Lane-era Charatan Selected BBD, an old Loewe "Fawley" (billiard) (both now with lucite re-stems ; the Loewe by LL) and a Castello Collection Prince Christmas-bombed by PeeDee.

The rest are old (Petersons, Bewlay, "Made in Denmark," Butz Choquin, Wilmer &c.), most with lucite re-stems.

Common denominators : decidedly older (made 1970 or before), group 3-4 Anglo-Irish with blue collar soul, mostly lucite re-stems, dedicated, & superb-tasting pipes.

Newer ones can be OK tasting (especially Petersons) but there's a mellowness of flavor that dedication and long use impart they can't match.

Christmas 2011 : another Parker straightgrain billiard (this one not an "A") that will be going off to Dr. Dave for a light makeover, then probably to LL for an optimum stem. Typical Yak pipe : $15 on flea bay for the pipe itself + re-stem cost = about what people put into decent lower-end new ones.

With a carosel of pipes waiting for the next tin of English to be cracked (might be this year, might not be), there's just no NEED for any more than the ten or so in regular (Embarcadero & FVF) use.

:face:

Yes, there's definitely a difference between what I need and what I want. Even in need there's room for aesthetic interpretation. A guy could decide that all he needs is a half dozen Sixten Ivarsson originals and thirty pounds of aged Balkan Sobranie to get him by, or it could be a couple of cobs and a pouch of Captain Black. If a guy were, like Yak, to decide that it's unnecessary and frivolous to have more than what is practically needed to enjoy a modest amount of smoking from a select few tobaccos, it's totally reasonable to maintain that principle while still making the collection of pipes and tobaccos well thought out, eclectic, cool and very personal. That, too, is a focused collection, just like the guy who needs to have a pipe from every now dead or near dead Danish legend, or a guy who needs to have one of every model ever made by, say, Dunhill or Earl's Pretty Good Pipe Emporium. Collections are as unique as the collector. I guess even the guy who only buys tool pipes, keeps the good ones in his toolbox and gets rid of the rest has, even if he doesn't realize it, become a collector.

Maybe the only non collector in our hobby is the guy who buys one cob, throws it away when it's toast, and buys another one.....

I'm hoping Peterson starts making the Sherlock Holmes series with acrylic stems. May have to take a second job.... :lol:

Currently, I am only collecting pipes made by BoB brothers.

Bill

I have always tried to keep my collecting limited to higher end briar, fine block meerschaum pieces and well made clays. Although recently my collecting compared to what I use to has almost grinded to a stop. The problem I have faced over recent times is the ever popular trend of “collecting”. Far beyond inflation and ever increasing scarcity of fine briar, the pipe I paid $150 for in the 80’s that now goes for $500++ is to me extreme.

billmess":3f510jza said:
Currently, I am only collecting pipes made by BoB brothers.

Bill
I want to be able to do this but most are out of my price range.

Puff Daddy said:
Aside from finishing that, in my forseeable future I can see the means for doing the same with Petersons. They make some fantastic shapes, I've always loved their shapes, but I've always hated their vulcanite and the P lip. Over the years I've bought and subsequently gotten rid of several Petes simply because the stems were, IMHO, crap. But now they make some fine acrylic stems and this changes everything! quote]

So what's the deal with the acrylic stem Petes? Do they have a more open draw than the typical Peterson? I like vulcanite for the feel, and acrylic for durability, so it's a wash. I'll take either, as long as the pipe has a decent draw. The p-lip is a useless abomination, in my estimation, and may explain my owning only one Peterson even though I appreciate the company product esthetic and reputation.

Im with you on those petersons. I have 5 and want more. Im really interested in their classic range it seems these days. Or atlest that seems to be where my intrests are drawn.

Actually the only two negatives I can give about the latest iteration of Petes with acrylic stems is that (1) the draw is fine but could be a bit more open, and (2) they could pay a little better attention to drilling on bent pipes. When you have a nickel ring on the end of the shank there's no reason to not angle the drilling. Dead center pilot hole, angled drilling, pipe cleaner passes without a hitch, drill bit gouge in the side of the shank from the angled drilling covered up by the nickel cap. Their pipes are much, much better than they used to be (IMHO), and with a couple of more professional attention to detail steps they could be amazing.

During my first year of pipe smoking, I pretty much bought anything I could afford. After a little while, however, I realized that my tastes differed from what I had bought. My collection grew to 20 and I have since parted with all of those first pipes except 3 (2 Savinelli's and a Jesper). I hate vulcanite, which is why the majority of them had to go. My collection now exclusively consists of either Italians or Artisans (minus a few I have for sentimental sakes): 1 Ardor, 1 Ascorti, 13 Caminetto's, 3 Cristiano's, 2 Luciano's, 2 Radice's, 4 Savinelli's, and 2 Teipen's. So my tastes are generally for Italians; however, I have seen quite a few Ashton's that I love. So I have 28 in my "visible" collection and probably 14 others that I haven't seen or dug up in a while. I have probably owned somewhere around 50+ pipes over the years. My policy has been that "if I buy one, I sell one," but I bought 5 over break. I've parted with two and now I'll be parting with at least three more, which will most likely be Caminetto's. It's getting hard to hold myself accountable.

And no offense, you guys don't help by posting pretty pipes that I want.

I have no organization or direction at the moment with pipes. I know what I don't like, but I'm having a hard time focusing. Which, is typical for me. Stem material doesn't matter. Shape and finish lean toward straight through 1/4 bends that are spherical. I have an affinity for bulldogs/Rhodesian. I have a few freehands, and I only need a few: a goal might be to get some better ones down the road. I want more rusticated stuff, and a few good examples of sandblasted finish.

None of this his helping me get used to exactly how a pipe smokes. All I can tell is certain setups gurgle, some don't. Some smoke totally cool, some are warm. Sometimes it depends on tobacco. I don't know what a "bad" pipe smokes like--either because "it's the captain, not the ship," or I've been pretty damned lucky to be here and learn what I have. Who knows.

I'm on my 2nd round of 'baskets pipes' which are essentially pipes that I no longer aspire to smoke. Initially the first round of 'baskets' was full of eBay junk and cheap estates. I was fortunate to trade the lot to Dark Horse for a Tsuge. Now that same drawer is full of pipes 'a full step up', some of which have yet to be smoked. Now my primary rack consists of estate Castello, estate and new Dunhill, new Vesz and a few other Italian carvers (Radice, Bonfiglioli). My shape of preference has moved around but now seems to be mostly attracted to the prince or the straight squat apple - see below (which are generally confused with the prince). My favorite stem marital has always been Cumberland followed by Vesz 'resin', both of which are rare to find on pipes. Although an acquired taste, I find Vesz handmades the best value with the caveat that I work two blocks from his shop and can ask him to make me any shape I desire for no additional charge.

I'm still not able to spend over $300 on a pipe. My biggest splurge to date was a new group 2 Dunhill which I'm still tentative to smoke. If I total up all my purchases I would rather a few nice pipes instead of 40 so-so ones (I state so-so objectively). I shop carefully, frequently and quickly when bargain estates Castello pop up on the market. I now completely avoid eBay since I see no value. I have never understood the pursuit for straight grains nor do I see any value in them what so ever. On occasion when I have to stock up on my tins I'll pick up a Stan or a Sav to justify the shipping costs.

I recently got into cigars and went a little overboard building up humidor. To date I have been unable to find a cigar that will stand up against a good pipe (and I live in Canada and smoke Cubans).

Something for me (and you) to drool over...

002-015-1585.jpg

Effing gorgious... the flow of the Cumberland stem into the shank...the bowl shape... drool is right!

I've been collecting the Peterson POY's since I started smoking (about 10 years ago).This is easy - just buy new ones. But I also collect old GBD New Era's. This is more difficult. I get most from Ebay of course. I bought a bunch last year, but in shapes I don't really like. So I'm reconsidering the collection & starting to think I just collect really good smokers. Either way, I have too many pipes & need to get rid of a bunch.