Columbus..... Crap

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
This is the second year in a row I've had every intention of going but completely forgot... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

puros_bran":z3tqcldk said:
This is the second year in a row I've had every intention of going but completely forgot... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
He pissed me off too. Damned, Columbus, always discovering shit....

LOL... Thou hath maketh me to laugheth.

I was talking about arguably the second best pipe show in the US.

I was there! I am a relative newbie and was overwhelmed. I only had a couple of hours but could have spent a lot more time and a lot lot more $$$. As it is I picked up 5 different tobaccos - 4 new to me including the 2 GL Pease special tins - and 3 pipes. I was floored by all of the pipes and pipemakers there. Everything from cobs to amazing artisan works, classics, estates, meers, and some just plain weird ones. I meant weird pipes not pipemakers. There were all kinds of people, too. It would be very clear to anyone observing that this passion of ours is not, as it sometimes may appear, the exclusive domain of any one group of people. There was a very interesting cross section of people. Kind of like Walmart, Dollar General, Nordstorms, Sax Fifth Avenue and Ikea all rolled together. Everybody friendly and very informative. The 3 pipes I picked up are an excellent condition old Kaywoodie, a Ben Wade - or Ben Wade clone - sitter, and one of thpse novelty briars with the leather ccovered bowls - that one for only $20. It was definitely worth the 4 hour round trip to go there and I know I will be following up with several of the people I met . Since this was my first pipe show I can't compare it to others but I will be back and am thinking about Chicage.

I too hope to make the trip to Ohio one of these days. This year I'm trying for the C.O.R.P.S. show in Richmond.

Wait.

There's a pipe show in Columbus of epic proportions?

Where is the schedule posted? Not that far from me....

It (the columbus show) was a very good show. I hadn't been since 2005. The vendors I talked with all said it was a good show. Much more positive response than I heard at the 2005 show and despite the economic downturn this year.

I met several folks from ASP for the first time - Charles Perry and Mike Stanley. Had several great conversations with both of them and look forward to meeting up with Mike to visit the crew of NOT PC at their "new" club in the Detroit area. Speaking of the North Oakland Tobacco and Pipe Club members - it was a pleasure to meet up with Shel, David & Terry McGinty.

I had a long conversation with Roswitha Anderson (Pipes & pleasures and S&R pipes). We discussed her recently late husband Steve Anderson and she described his method of making the draft hole that curves in a long bent stem (where the draft hole actually has to curve with the yet-to-be-carved bend. I purchased several pipes from her and she had made pipe socks for the estate pipes out of her husband's old corduroy pants, saying that she never wastes anything. Actually, the conversation and learning from Roswitha was worth the 3 hour drive, by itself.

Talked with Premel Chedda (Smoker's Haven) for a long time also and his pipe maker/artist Bill Shlotski (spelling?). He makes some beautiflu pipes which a friend of mine claims are excellent smokers. Premel talked more about Sailorman Jack (RIP), who was there back in 2005 and sold me a pipe and a lighter back then. I used to stop in and chat with Sailorman when in Columbus while he was there. It was a truly great thing what Premel did for Sailorman Jack. Premel is rebpounding from some health issues and making some major modifications to his already wonderful shop.

I purchased 7 pipes and WON a beautiful pipe from an up-and-coming pipemaker, Donald Kesling.

You can see the unusual, one-of-a-kind pipe at his web site - http://www.keslingbriarpipes.com/ Go to "Available Pipes" and it is the first one called "Pipe #66 - Briar Collage"

Two of the pipes I bought were to be gifts - one to my older son and the other to my soon-to-be son-in-law. I initiated them both into the wonders of pipe smoking.

I also picked up some McCrannie's 2000 Red Ribbon and some McClellands Jubilee, Aurora and Honeydew.

One of these years, I'll be able to afford a Lindner and Von Erck pipe. Two more kids to get through college and a wedding coming up. Maybe in Columbus 2011.

Cheers

TC

Good to see you posting TC....

I'll be at Columbus '11 with a sign that reads:
:

WILL
MARRY
FOR
PIPES.

:D

LOL, PB.

If I had that sign, I doubt I'd ever get any pipes. Thanks for your kind words.

I've missed this forum. Been way too busy the past 18 months with lots of stress. '09-'10 looks to be much better.

TC