Comments on the deeming regulations.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P&C is also running an email your congresscritter screen. Three steps and your done.

Strange that the F(ood and) D(rug) Administration is assigned oversight of tobacco (which is not, strictly speaking, a drug), but not alcohol, which is pretty much a food (it is ingested) and a drug.

Am I missing something here?

puros_bran":s7d8vbi8 said:
Unfortunately Congress handed the authority to the FDA.  
Still not a bad idea to let them know where you stand. Regardless of what happens with the FDA, this isn't over. More legislative action on tobacco is basically inevitable at this point. I've written my congressman and senators (still have to contact state representatives) to let them know that I will not vote for a candidate who supports any further taxation or legislation of tobacco products.

I did comment using the form. Told 'em there's nothing wrong with my tobacco, please leave it alone.

fsu92john":b8gbytuq said:
puros_bran":b8gbytuq said:
Unfortunately Congress handed the authority to the FDA.  
Still not a bad idea to let them know where you stand. Regardless of what happens with the FDA, this isn't over. More legislative action on tobacco is basically inevitable at this point. I've written my congressman and senators (still have to contact state representatives) to let them know that I will not vote for a candidate who supports any further taxation or legislation of tobacco products.
I don't debate that. But at this point in the ball game we are dealing with unelected appointees. The comment period is open, it's basically our last shot to be heard during this round.

I do not know if it matters at this point or not. What I do know is when the newest round of trucking regulation came about we (transportation workers) flooded the comments, threatened lawsuits, pursued lawsuits and ultimately came up with something far less damaging than what was originally proposed.
When the comments open and it is 50-1, 100-1, 1000-1 the have to start reconsidering.

puros_bran":9m2zfr41 said:
 But at this point in the ball game we are dealing with unelected appointees.
And this is why everyone should listen to this PipesMagazine.com Radio's interview with Paul Creasy.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-87/#
Paul says contacting the FDA could be unhelpful because pipe tobacco is pretty much getting off easy with this round of legislation and he does want to be put on the radar with letters from the public. I trust Paul's opinion, he is a well known advocate/$upporter for the hobby.  :shock:
I also recommend joining me by becoming a member of CRA.
http://www.cigarrights.org/

Does or doesN'T? Sounded like you were going for doesn't but just want to check before I go and fire off a note ;)

Divide and conquer works very well no?

If you value your freedom you will defend others freedoms.

If you are uncomfortable bringing up pipe tobacco to them don't.
Bring up the regulations in general. Comment of cigars, ecigs, snus, roll your own, snuff, chew, or any other 'other tobacco products' you can come up with.

We've sit in the corner because it's the other guy long enough. We have guys that literally have to drive outside city limits to lawfully enjoy a pipe. We have guys that can not lawfully mail order tobaccos or even lawfully participate in bombings and box passes. Light your pipe up within 20 ft of a door with that little crossed over cigarette and see if anyone cares that you have a pipe instead of a cigarette. M

Or sit on your butt and complain about taxation, limited smoking areas, and other insanity nanny statism. Whatever.

This government ceased being "For the people, by the people" a long time ago. I doubt nothing we can say will matter a bit. Money interests from the industry lobbyists pressuring the controlling beurocrats is about all that will slow them from doing what they want to do, which is to further their own power and self importance.

Here are my comments.

Buy what you like now, before it's too late.

Whatever tobacco you do have and find you don't absolutely love will fetch 20 times it's present worth in a few years, because there won't be any more of it or anywhere to get it.

It will probably be a felony to sell that tobacco, however.

I think tobacco will most likely exist in one form or another for a long time to come. It's just too good a source of revenue through taxation to give up altogether. What I suspect will disappear is the variety of choice tobaccos from smaller blending houses. What you find at Osco Drugstore now will be the size of it, but at a hefty premium.

Maybe petitions and comments are useless. Maybe not. Only time will tell. It's definitely a more proactive option than standing on the sidelines saying " See!? I told ya so" when the big one hits. Like chicken soup...it can't hurt.

No, it can't hurt and I'm not saying don't comment and don't contact your representatives. I'm just being pessimistic, which is how I happen to see this (and most of the world anymore).

But on the positive side, I have a few pounds of fine tobacco in jars sitting unmolested in a cool dark cabinet. Any buyers?  :) 

I think aromatics and flavored cigars will be the first to go. The Feds will use the guise of "protecting the children" to get this through. I enjoy all forms of pipe tobacco. Too bad aros don't cellar well.