Comoy Specimen Straight Grain. Your Thoughts please.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a pipe, and Comoy does make a decent pipe.

Any more info on it especially sizes? Pics from different angles? Is it one you own or are thinking about getting? There really isn't a lot to form an opinion from based off the pic. Details on what opinion you need from us and I am sure you will get more feedback brother. Sorry I can't be of more help than that right now.

Definitely a pipe. No bones about it. My thoughts are that you should smoke it.

8)

I'd have to see pics of the nomenclature and stem and more of the bowl. It doesn't look like any Comoy's shape I've ever seen, and I've never seen a plateau rim outside their goofy Designer line. It doesn't look like any Comoy's pipe I've seen from the era that Specimens were produced, just from the one pic anyway. Also, despite the poor picture the grain isn't as spectacularly perfect as any Specimen I've seen. They usually pop right out of the picture, or as Stewie said in the episode where he and Brian were exploring alternate universes, "your penis would come flying right off". He was referring to Lois of course, but the same applies to the grain on Comoy's Specimens. Also I have never seen that kind of shank detail on a pre-Cadogan Comoy's.

More pics needed to form an opinion.

Im no expert on any brand of pipe, but it looks cool I like the plateu on top,should clean up nice for you.

That doesn't look like a Specimen Straight Grain to me. Everyone I've seen are standard Comoys shapes with no stem adorment. The Plateau top is really a problem, I've never seen one on a Specimen Straight Grain. It does appear to have the 3 part C logo. Have you bought this yet or considering?

Bought this Comoy as part of a bundle from a house clearence in a little village near my home.
Paid £40 for 5 pipes. Took about a week before I noticked what this was. Im trying to get an expert to look at it for me, but there like hens teeth around here.
On the Left of the shank it says Comoys Specimen Straight Grain And on the right Made in london in round shape then England underneath. Just to the right of that is the number 2.
I havent put baccy near it yet!

The shank is marked right (I think) but from what I've seen on the Comoy's "C" before, that one looks like it was inset into the stem as a whole piece...that ring around it? :scratch: Is that normal? Replacement stem, maybe?

Still a cool pipe, but... *shrug*

8)

Definetely a newer pipe. My guess is that it's from the 1980's. I've seen a good many specimen straightgrains and they've all been standard shapes with nearly flawless grain. This freehand doesn't seem consistent with any of those that I've seen.

I do know that the Comoy brand was sold to a company that down graded the name and made far less expensive pipes still sold as Comoy's. This might be what you have here.

Check Derek Green's Comoy site: http://www.derek-green.com/comoy_history03.htm

that is a transition or post merger piece, the one piece C tells the whole story. Early 80s.

Neat, what a great find. I can't say I've ever seen a post-Merger Comoys Specimen Straight Grain. Have you smoked it yet?

New to the Forum, sorry for the late response...Sisyphus and Kyle Weiss are both correct. NEVER did Comoy put a plastic band around the shank and the Comoy "C" logo appears to be one piece inserted in the stem. If you look closely you'll see the "C" is too open, NOT the way Comoy drilled and inserted the plugs. All my Comoy's are pre Cadogan merger days and they were of a quality that was unsurpassed. Additionally, to my knowledge the term used was SELECTED straight grain, NOT select straight grain...just some thoughts

Some strange stampings came out of the Cadogan era on GBD's, looks like Comoy's was similarly affected.

Kyle Weiss":36yvpa7x said:
The shank is marked right (I think) but from what I've seen on the Comoy's "C" before, that one looks like it was inset into the stem as a whole piece...that ring around it? :scratch: Is that normal? Replacement stem, maybe?

Still a cool pipe, but... *shrug*

8)
No, not a replacement probably, just a new model pipe, not a vintage one.

I've two Comoy's one with the triple drilled stem logo from the late 70's and a new one with the single piece as above.

Kyle, can you tell me your impressions re: the feel of the mouthpiece...thin, delicate feel? or sort of thick..not perfect..
and does the 80's market Comoy have the same quality no-fill policy re: briar wood, as the 50-60's pipes? I haven't seen any Comoy pipes in the area that I now live in so I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one.

There is always the possibility that one could end up with a Cadogan produced Loewe, Comoy's, Orlik, GBD or Sasieni that ended up being a good smoker, but these pipes have no attachment to the history that made the names famous, are not made in the same factories as the old pipes, and are not of the same quality, period. The brands I mentioned made some of the best smoking, lightweight and comfortable pipes ever made, with astonishingly good hand cut stems. The Cadogan stewardship pipes don't even belong in the same conversation.

pepesdad1":7glyez5x said:
Kyle, can you tell me your impressions re: the feel of the mouthpiece...thin, delicate feel? or sort of thick..not perfect..
and does the 80's market Comoy have the same quality no-fill policy re: briar wood, as the 50-60's pipes? I haven't seen any Comoy pipes in the area that I now live in so I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one.
I've had both but sold off the Cadogan era Comoys. The stems weren't as wonderfully thin at the button and had a different mouth feel altogether. They didn't smoke bad, but they just didn't sing like my older pre-Cadogan era pipes.

I have about 28 Comoys now, the bulk of my collection of 60 pipes. After 30 yrs. with the pipe, I've settled on Comoys as my favorite pipe. Yours has the single C insert which is usually understood as intermediate between the earlier pre-merger three part C which has high collectors value, and the later post Cadogan merger laser etched or painted C, which buffs off readily. The transition between the 3 part and the laser C is the mid 1970s. Yours falls in the middle, so mid 70s. During the merger a lot of non traditional shapes were cut, some with plateau rims, like yours. Thus is the first Selected Straight Grain Ivr seen. But the grain is far inferior to the earlier pre merger stamp of the same. No matter. Tis a nice pipe. Smoke it in good health!