Comoy's Cask # 11

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Have you had the pleasure of smoking Comoy's Cask # 11? My experience with Latakia blends is limited but this is the very best I've smoked to date. It's far superior to Dunhill's MM965 IMO. It's the most comforting smoke I've ever put into a pipe. Made from Bright Va.'s, Orientals, and Latakia it provides all the wonderful flavor you expect from a straight Va. A hay like sweetness that is complimented by the smokiness of the Latakia. The Orientals stay in the background but add a hint of spiciness that keeps the smoke interesting. Nothing complicated or too complex but a smoothness similar to a cup of fine coffee with a teaspoon or two of rich heavy cream. Not in flavor but in texture. I don't taste any topping but only a true tobacco flavor that demands that you sit down, put your feet up, and relax. I find the nicotine sufficient to satisfy my craving but not enough to cause a buzz or upset the stomach. The tin note clearly reveals that it contains Latakia. It definitely smelled of tobacco. No fruit like, or candy odors were detected. The moisture in my tin was perfect and I didn't dry it out before smoking. Being ribbon cut it packed easily and lit without any problem. The room note is notable and pleasant. I used a large Edward's smooth billiard that I use for Lat. blends. I believe I could have smoked the entire bowl without any relights but I laid the pipe down for a few minutes while I was typing and then picked it up again. Upon relight the DGT was magnificent. The stem of my pipe tasted as sweet as sugar and that always pleases me. The smoke had a wonderful balance of the sweetness of the Va.'s while being enhanced by the Orientals, and Latakia. I'm so impressed with this tobacco. It could easily become a blend I smoke every day. It goes very well with my ever present iced tea and it would be delightful with a cup of coffee in the morning as a first smoke. I never thought I could learn to like Latakia but have found that I actually enjoy some of the blends I've been smoking. This blend is different in that I believe I would enjoy chewing it. It's that tasty. Comoy's says this is a traditional style Balkan blend. Having no experience with Balkan blends I'm not sure how this compares to those well known favorite blends that many rave about but for me this is one of the best smokes I've ever had. Try some and lets hear what you think about about it.  :) 

AJ

I haven't tried #11, but I'm beginning to see the various blends pop up. Even in bulk, at Cigars International. 965-like is high praise in my book, so I'll have to give it a whirl. I do wish they would have come up with more memorable names. (I'm trying to think of a reference point for number 11...)

riff raff":43deylho said:
(I'm trying to think of a reference point for number 11...)
spinal-tap-these-go-to-eleven.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 300px

Dang. If I liked any blend that much I'd marry it. Hope you're happy together.  :heart: 

Seriously, good review. It's got me tempted. You ain't a shill fer the company, is yez?

I just finished a bowl in a GBD Prehistoric Colossus Oom-Paul. I'd forgotten the Annapolis Smoke Shop gave me several packets to try. I didn't care for the blends I'd tried so far (I forget their numbers) but the #11 was still in my drawer. I was outside on the somewhat windy patio (70 degrees, finally) so that was a little annoying. I can see some similarities to MM965, less the Black Cavendish. I'll have another bowl tomorrow morning, in my workshop, for more proper test conditions. I've had the packets for several months, so even unopened, the tobacco was quite dry (I like it that way).

Richard Burley":eocgrsek said:
Dang.  If I liked any blend that much I'd marry it.  Hope you're happy together.   :heart: 

Seriously, good review.  It's got me tempted.  You ain't a shill fer the company, is yez?
I have no connection with Comoy's except that I have a few of their pipes and I've been married to someone that is a whole lot better and sweeter than any tobacco I've ever smoked. I've had her for over 40 years and she gets sweeter as time goes by. She doesn't like me smoking a pipe but last year on our anniversary she gave me a nice Meerschaum billiard. See what I mean?  :) 

AJ

riff raff":mm5lgrld said:
I just finished a bowl in a GBD Prehistoric Colossus Oom-Paul.  I'd forgotten the Annapolis Smoke Shop gave me several packets to try.  I didn't care for the blends I'd tried so far (I forget their numbers) but the #11 was still in my drawer.  I was outside on the somewhat windy patio (70 degrees, finally) so that was a little annoying.  I can see some similarities to MM965, less the Black Cavendish.  I'll have another bowl tomorrow morning, in my workshop, for more proper test conditions.  I've had the packets for several months, so even unopened, the tobacco was quite dry (I like it that way).  
riff, there's NO Black Cavandish in 965. Here's Dunhill's description of what's in it:  " For the connoisseurs of full-bodied tobacco. Choicest small Latakia impart a rich nutty flavor and coolness. Macedonia Bright is added for sweetness. The Brown Cavendish completes the blend that all confirmed pipe smokers love." They do have differing taste aspects, brown vs black Cavendish.  :twisted: :twisted: 
BTW Aj, this blend sounds like a PERFECT intro blend for folks wanting to get a "taste" of Latakia !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

Correct, Brown it is!
I'm smoking another bowl this AM. Your comment about it being appealing to folks new to Latakia is a good point. It doesn't have quite the punch as MM965, but pretty close.

monbla256":6s48rl69 said:
riff raff":6s48rl69 said:
I just finished a bowl in a GBD Prehistoric Colossus Oom-Paul.  I'd forgotten the Annapolis Smoke Shop gave me several packets to try.  I didn't care for the blends I'd tried so far (I forget their numbers) but the #11 was still in my drawer.  I was outside on the somewhat windy patio (70 degrees, finally) so that was a little annoying.  I can see some similarities to MM965, less the Black Cavendish.  I'll have another bowl tomorrow morning, in my workshop, for more proper test conditions.  I've had the packets for several months, so even unopened, the tobacco was quite dry (I like it that way).  
riff, there's NO Black Cavandish in 965. Here's Dunhill's description of what's in it:  " For the connoisseurs of full-bodied tobacco. Choicest small Latakia impart a rich nutty flavor and coolness. Macedonia Bright is added for sweetness. The Brown Cavendish completes the blend that all confirmed pipe smokers love." They do have differing taste aspects, brown vs black Cavendish.  :twisted: :twisted: 
BTW Aj, this blend sounds like a PERFECT intro blend for folks wanting to get a "taste" of Latakia !!   :twisted: :twisted: