Comoy's Cask #4 review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
This is a 5 bowl review of the bulk version of this new brand as purchased from smokingpipes.com. This is the blenders description:  
"Comoy's "Cask No.4" is a simple navy flake; mature Virginias and spicy Perique, pressed and cut, ready to be rubbed out or folded and stuffed for a slow smoke."
It is blended by the same folks in Denmark, STG, as who do Orlik's GSF and as such the flakes are almost identical in appearance, size and moisture. From the "tin aroma", remember I bought the bulk, I'd say this is based on Bright Va's and LOTS of Perique as it has NO sweetness to it, rather a citrusy/peppery note which does transfer to it's flavor when lit. Though the blender states it's a "...simple navy flake..." there is NO rum flavor apparent in either aroma or taste as one usually associates with this description. It lights easily regardless of loading method, usually with just one match!
I've smoked it in 5 bowls, 1 cob, 1 meer, and 3 briars and found it to be very similar in flavor and burn qualities in all. It IS a FULL ON VaPer, with a background note of citrus spice from the bright Va's and the peppery spice of the Perique at the forefront for the whole bowl. I've smoked it both rubbed-out fully as well as a simple fold-n-stuff as well. When rubbed-out, the flavor profile maintains more of the citrus note of the Va's thru the smoke and when folded-n-stuffed the Perique comes to the front thru the smoke . It does have a "fresh" feel to it and probably would "settle down" with some aging I'm sure. I have not yet tried the tinned version yet and I'm sure it would have some difference as all tinned versions do from their bulk brothers.
All in all, it is a high quality blend offering two varieties of a much liked flavor profile depending on packing method preferred. I did NOT evidence ANY bite smoking it either way though did notice the pipe bowl heated up more when I loaded it with the fold-n-stuff method but this did not pass thru to the smoke. It does DTG well and gives a nice peppery "tickle " to the nose when "snorked" though :twisted:  It's not priced badly as well, $12.37/3.5 oz "paint can" tins and $3.08/1oz. bulk.
I'm not a strong VaPer lover but would not pass this one up when available. JMHO :twisted:
 Some additional notes: This smokes VERY dry and leaves NO dottle ending in nice clean grey ash. if pushed hard it does exhibit a bit of moisture gurgle early in the bowl, but only one clnrs worth at most. Very easy smoking I'd have to say.  :twisted:

Monbla, was just gonna ask you for a review of the Comoy tobacco...and there it is.

Thanks, sounds like this could be another winner!

I like lots of Perique; I even love Cool Hand Fluke, which is 40%. And then that the tobacco is predominantly bright VA sounds interesting. Thanks Michael!

STG's Cask #7 also looks interesting, by recipe the same as Davidoff Flake Medallions except for that little "something extra" they are fond of for tobaccos of this class. I'm betting its well-done, in which case it would be something quite a bit cheaper than the Davidoff or Escudo; all good news!