Compact vs full size

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
My wife recently got her permit, and a friend had told her she would be best served by getting a compact 9mm. From my personal experience, I told her they were unwieldy yet functional. As in, harder to keep on target, but still puts lead in the general area. She’s thinking more about concealability, whereas I’m thinking of functionality.

So, from experience, what would you all tell her?

Ultimately what feels good in her hands.   I was going to get a Springfield XDS 9mm and they had a Walther PPS M2 9mm that felt good in my hands as well.  Walther was 2oz lighter so I ended up with that.  First shot was in the cross hairs of the plus sign in the bull at 7 yards.   For me it was a good choice and IWB holster I don't even notice it.

I will also say that for CCW you are not going to be in a drawn out gunfight or need distance so if that is what it is for compact 9mm with Critical Defense will fit the bill.

GeoffC":4aca2a8p said:
Ultimately what feels good in her hands.   I was going to get a Springfield XDS 9mm and they had a Walther PPS M2 9mm that felt good in my hands as well.  Walther was 2oz lighter so I ended up with that.  First shot was in the cross hairs of the plus sign in the bull at 7 yards.   For me it was a good choice and IWB holster I don't even notice it.

I will also say that for CCW you are not going to be in a drawn out gunfight or need distance so if that is what it is for compact 9mm with Critical Defense will fit the bill.  

This is what I carry and am well pleased with it.

Cheers,

RR

She ended up going for a S&W shield in 9mm. I’m more of ruger gp100 in 357 type. We went to an indoor range last night. I’m glad to say we have a thing to do as a couple now. I’m sure she can pull it together to under a 16in group at 7yrds in no time. Bystanders beware haha.

I recently picked up a Ruger EC9s in 9mm for short money; looks like a handy little piece.  Haven't shot it yet; my son-in-law just inherited his grandfather's 70's-era Ruger revolver in .357 mag and we're looking forward to getting to the range.

qXKZGXOl.jpg

HoC01N2m.jpg

The lower looks very much like mine. They don’t seem to change much in basic design over the years. Different finishes and grip materials mostly. I have a 7 shooter though. Not sure if they made one then. I appreciate it leaves a little surprise for anyone mindful enough to think that they counted lol.

Jevverrett":zgsenhw3 said:
My wife recently got her permit, and a friend had told her she would be best served by getting a compact 9mm. From my personal experience, I told her they were unwieldy yet functional. As in, harder to keep on target, but still puts lead in the general area. She’s thinking more about concealability, whereas I’m thinking of functionality.

So, from experience, what would you all tell her?
Try both and use the one you prefer. Whether or not a firearm can be concealed depends a great deal on the size of the person wearing it and their personal fashion sense. Whether or not a firearm is unwieldy or functional depends on the training a person has with that firearm. Whether you carry a .22 pea-shooter or a .50 DEagle, you need to be comfortable with using the weapon, and knowing what it can do.

Personally I prefer full-sized weapons, but I also have a disability that makes balance (and therefore, aiming) more difficult.

We were back on the range Saturday. I’m kind of enjoying teaching her how to shoot. Still not a great group, but it getting better. Our goal for her is 6in at 7yrd. Her little 9 kicks a lot more than I would have expected. We’re working on grip at the moment. And a draw and fire movement. Even got her a little hand squeeze exerciser thing to help hand strength. The place we go does rentals, so we rented a glock 19. Now she wants one haha.

Lighter loads might be good but I’d want to do a lot of my shooting with what she would be using for real.

All the guns mentioned are sound choices IMHO.  The recoil thing...pure physics...little pistol, even in the mild 380 ACP can be a slapper.  Like Ruger’s sweet little LCP ll.  I’d love to have one of those.  Or the classic Walter PPK S.  I love a cool mouse gun.

I’ve owned many good pistols over the years...some notable including a 6” Colt Python 357 mag...Colt 10mm Delta Elite...Custom Ruger Bisley 44 mag...several 9 mm autos, incl. a Star 28 (Spanish) which was one of the most flawless pistols I ever owned...22 LR Stainless Ruger MK ll 5 1/2” bull barrel...S&W 22 LR Model 17...and my current carry, a Springfield XD40 Sub Compact (40 S&W of course).  Each of them was obtained with a specific purpose in mind.  Note: The Colt Python could consistently hit clay pigeons at my range at 75 yds with a Weaver 4X scope mounted.  My own reloads.  That was fun.  

I won’t give any advise since you’ve already purchased.  But again, I think you chose wisely.  And you’re going about it the right way.  Practice...
practice... practice.  Get that automatic muscle memory in place.  

The Springfield XD40 sub Compact...

That Springfield is sharp looking, sir.

She has been using a pretty standard fmj in her SaW for dexterity training. Then switching up to something heavier in a hp for comparison. The hp is the edc ammo anyway. Alternatively, 38sp and 357 for the ruger. She has the bug though. Already looking through American rifleman with starry eyes...

Picked up a .22 Glenfield 40 for fun times with our oldest boy. It’s an older model with squirrels and oak leaf carving on the stock. I forgot how much a squirrel gun and a 6 pack of coke can be lol. My older brother has a big patch in the country and neighbors that don’t mind during decent hours.

It’s nice that a tradition of my family has managed to survive another generation.

I totally agree with not only with "what is comfortable in her hands" but more with "what she is comfortable shooting with". It might be comfortable to hold but she hates shooting due to recoil, etc. IMHO a 9mm has a very sharp recoil when shooting compared to a 40 S&W which to me is more of a slow push. I would see if the local gun shops/indoor shooting ranges rent out pistols to try out. I learned the hard way with my wife. She loved the feel of the S&W model 640 38 special but hated shooting it. She ended up with a Bersa Thunder in 380 acp. My concealed carry gun is a Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub-compact that I've probably carried for ten plus years now