Compassion in a world currently in Chaos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
Ok, so this one I kind of want to be an anti rubber room thread.  Every morning I wake up , I make a pot of coffee and read through the news world, national and local and it makes my heart hurt.  All too often we are reading about all the ugliness that is happening in the world, and I refuse to leave the table and punch in to leave for work until I find something positive in the news to read about.  I am a big believer in be the change you want to see and the "pay it forward mentality.  Would anyone else be interested in a thread where we post good deeds that we have done for a stranger or a stranger has done for us?  Not posting for praise but to maybe show has been done to inspire and give ideas of things we do for others to make the world a better brighter place. For instance,  last week I was servicing an account,  it is a dept store and grocery store that EVERYONE has in their town.  My wife Nell asked me to pick up a few things for the house and dinner before I left as it was my last stop of the day.  I am in line behind a young couple , early 20s. They had their infant child with them and a check out belt full of honest to goodness groceries, meat, fruit, juice, soda formula , diapers, wipes and a few outfits.  Their card keeps getting rejected and they are in shock as they had just been paid a few days before.  The young man was trying to keep it together ( he was embarrassed) and she jumped on her phone to check online banking I guess.  Turns out their electric bill and car insurance that wasn't supposed to get pulled from their account till later in the month was unexpectedly pulled from their account early ( we have all been there once or twice).  Both of them combined had maybe 20 bucks in their pockets.  They say ok we will take the diapers and formula .  At this time I pipe up and say no you won't, you're going to take it all and I swipe my card paying for it.  The young girl in tears thanks me and gives me a hug, then the young man with a tear running down his face gave me a hug and thanked me. They tried to give me the cash that they had but I refused. Told them to keep it for gas in the car.  I remember  what it was like just starting out and having a little one, it wasn't easy at all.  This instance was an opportunity for me to give back to the world and help make it a brighter place if only it was brighter for a young couple starting out.  Would anyone else be interested or willing to post a good deed they did for someone?

I am in a powerchair, so I stopped by the Qdoba Mexican restaurant and ordered food yesterday. I handed my debit card and the register guy said, " the lady in front of you has already paid for your meal."

She must know that I am one of the many people who are living on Disability income, have medical bills, and scrape by month to month.

Usually the more you have, the less you give out. It's a real shame that the worlds global society allows 20k people to die of starvation each and every day.

This morning, my friend from Oregon, Eric, brought out several boxes of tobacco from my Missouri cellar for me to go through, as I have a trade debt to pay and am still here. Once I get the "right stuff" pulled, he is going to return my stash to it's spot and ship out the packages on Monday. He took pictures of the petting zoo for me and says Larry and Justin are keeping the woodstoves going. I guess I need to do another bank transfer for them to keep the beer flowing. Great guys!

Richard Burley ":thzdbuw1 said:
Commendable. Does paying girlfriends' bills count?
Not if your getting SPECIAL favors in return :affraid: :lol!:

KEEP ON SMILING, BUT IT's WORTH IT!!!

Lonecoyote":m2gzb529 said:
Richard Burley":m2gzb529 said:
Commendable. Does paying girlfriends' bills count?
Not if your getting SPECIAL favors in return  :affraid:  :lol!:

KEEP ON SMILING, BUT IT's WORTH IT!!!
(smirk) I sent a similar reply through private message, just to keep it out of the bouncy house.... :lol!:

Alex, good thread you started

Before I became retired/disabled...I'm a sucker for helping people living on the streets and don't have access to proper food... not picking through dumpsters behind a restaurant for old meals tossed...does not count as proper food. I would shop once a week for a group of four people that had a tent in a wooded area back on Long Island. These were not drug addicts nor people with mental health issues, these were people living in desperate times! For almost three years every Friday I dropped off enough dry goods to get them through the week. It was truly worth it, just by looking at their faces gave me a warm feeling inside of their appreciation. On one particular Friday I stopped by to check in and drop off food and the tent and the four people vanished into thin air. Even the police that were aware of the situation would stop by and check in on them told me it was odd. I found out from a friend from Social Services all four were put into a group home and are being well taken care of. Finally after 3 years asking for help Social Services stepped up to the plate and did the job they're paid to do!! 'Twas a very HAPPY ending.

If I'm ever asked for a few bucks for a meal from a person standing near a fast food restaurant my answer was..." come with me and I'll get you whatever you'd like to eat and something for later. I never handed out cash due to the fact that.... is it going towards the purchase of drugs???

IT IS TIME OTHERS STOP THINKING OF THEMSELVES AND HELP THOSE IN NEED!!!

PS, OW... I was extremely careful with my wording if you noticed :bounce:

Those were some very beautiful things that were shared. All done with love for fellow humans. I've always enjoyed the saying " Kindness is inexpensive so give a lot of It" Thank you to everyone that shared and hopefully we get some more entries.

Lonecoyote said:
IT IS TIME OTHERS STOP THINKING OF THEMSELVES AND HELP THOSE IN NEED!!!

Lot's of good thoughts but with those kind of thoughts you won't "Make Amurica Great Again" Money and such needs to go Up not Down :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":r2bappfa said:
Lot's of good thoughts but with those kind of thoughts you won't "Make Amurica Great Again" Money and such needs to go Up not Down  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

SHOULD WE ALL GIVE TO OUR GOVERNMENT THAT ALREADY OVER SPENDS!!! THE RICH GET WEALTHIER AND THE MIDDLE CLASS WILL ALWAYS GET IT IN THE A$$!

KEEP ON GIVING TO THOSE IN NEED!!!

Lonecoyote":o8b2kzq6 said:
monbla256":o8b2kzq6 said:
Lot's of good thoughts but with those kind of thoughts you won't "Make Amurica Great Again" Money and such needs to go Up not Down  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

SHOULD WE ALL GIVE TO OUR GOVERNMENT THAT ALREADY OVER SPENDS!!! THE RICH GET WEALTHIER AND THE MIDDLE CLASS WILL ALWAYS GET IT IN THE A$$!

KEEP ON GIVING TO THOSE IN NEED!!!
YUP!! That makes "Amurica Great Again" !! :twisted: :twisted:

No offense guys but this wasn't the reason I  started this thread. Nothing to do with the government or taxes, just about being kind to one another

monbla256

אתם לוקחים תרופות שלך....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LETS ALL ORDER ONE OF THOSE $1,000.00 HAMMERS OUR GOVERNMENT PURCHASED IN THE PAST OR SUPPORT OUR CONGRESSMEN TAKING THE ENTIRE FAMILY ON VACATIONS!!! ALL PAID BY TAX PAYERS!

Yup, I see your point Alex and I'm done with this thread

I have bought groceries for people like this ahead of me in line before. I have not done it in the last year. I expense it from my discretionary fund, so it is really a work-related expense, and maybe that does not count. I used to keep roiling tobacco for the street people in my last church, and the church would not let me expense tobacco so that was out of pocket. I kept papers in my desk too, but they always had those.

When they discovered I was a pipe smoker, they thought I might be sympathetic. I was...

I have an elderly neighbor that lives on my block,she works 2 part time jobs to get by on,Her family is all out of state , so I mow her lawn all summer long... my back doesn`t appreciate it but she sure does!