Complete change to my 1969 Pug Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonecoyote

Reaction score
So, in 2019 I will still be smoking this Yello-Bole Pug Pipe which I purchased in 1969. It's a great pocket pipe and a good smoking pipe for  20 to 25 minutes of pleasure. Originally the pipe had 2 fills and over the years the briar started to look a bit "BLAH "! Being that it's almost a half century old I decided to do a complete change.....

Sanded the briar smooth and used black leather dye for the stain. After a few hours of drying time I did two separate coats of an epoxy resin that's capable of handling high temperatures. I achieved the glass like finish with a heat gun. No bubbles or brush marks. Also, unlike the Peterson pipes with a similar look that bubble after a few uses due to the lacquer that was used, the epoxy resin will not bubble, chip or fade.

On all of my pipes I use the rubber bit, I have a habit of clenching hard and I've destroyed a few stems due to a sharp tooth. No chatter on any of my stems now. Took some time for me to get use too.

Later today and tomorrow it will be smoked while waiting to be tortured by my doctors :fpalm:

Below are two pictures, sorry if they are a bit blurry. Taken with my iPad, not my camera. But you can get the idea....

Hy3K6yZ.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

4nqlL1X.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Cute Pug! If the doctor asks you if 'It's safe', get out of the chair!

Thank you all, really appreciate your comments. Smoked this Pug earlier today and I must say... still smokes excellent and looks great. This Dr. had nothing to say about my pipe smoking habit...he's a cigarette smoker :fpalm: :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Sid

Thanks for your compliment, well appreciated.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Can you imagine 233 views with ONLY 4 comments. Everyone's typing fingers must not be working :scratch::scratch::scratch:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":hlmk2gc9 said:
Can you imagine 233 views with ONLY 4 comments. Everyone's typing fingers must not be working :scratch::scratch::scratch:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Maybe they're blind like me. :lol:

I can't make a lot of detail out of the pics. But anytime an old faithful pipe is restored to use, that is a good thing in my book. :D

Simple Man":xmw8mepl said:
I can't make a lot of detail out of the pics. But anytime an old faithful pipe is restored to use, that is a good thing in my book. 
icon_biggrin.png

Originally the pipe was a light colored briar. From age the bowl had a number of minor dings. What I did: sanded all the briar by hand using 3 different grit sandpaper. Refinish the briar with black leather dye and 2 separate coats of a high heat epoxy resin. Very difficult to see how dimensional the pipe truly is because its black, but I will say it has a glass like finish with NO bubbles. To achieve the proper finish I was looking for a heat gun was used to remove anY tiny air pockets and make for a much faster & stronger drying time. 
I still smoke this pipe when I travel. Had the pleasure of smoking this Pug last month with a member of this forum. Hopefully we will meet again this coming October. He's a great guy :cheers: :cheers: 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Nicely done restoration there Ted! I wouldn't be too concerned with number of views vs comments. I know there are a lot of lurkers that just don't ever post and there are those that intend to when they get home or have a few more minutes but then just end up forgetting to do it. It's one of the vageries of internet interaction. Don't think that because it doesn't get a lot of commentary that no one appreciates its being posted.

Jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate your entire comment 

Just frustrating at times  :scratch: :scratch: 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!