Comprising a list/guide to tobacco tin dates.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":89hhjxeh said:
riff raff":89hhjxeh said:
I sure saw a difference between new tin of MM965 and one that was four years old. I'm sure that varies by the tobacco blend/maker.
With that said, my new tin of MM965 I just got should sit for a while?
I've read almost universally that it is far better aged. The new tin wasn't bad, my opinion, but the older burned better with a noticeable taste improvement.

riff raff":dh7rm767 said:
Kyle Weiss":dh7rm767 said:
riff raff":dh7rm767 said:
I sure saw a difference between new tin of MM965 and one that was four years old. I'm sure that varies by the tobacco blend/maker.
I've read almost universally that it is far better aged. The new tin wasn't bad, my opinion, but the older burned better with a noticeable taste improvement.
10-4...I'll give it a year or so and see what it does. 8)

Kyle Weiss":awgmziii said:
riff raff":awgmziii said:
Kyle Weiss":awgmziii said:
riff raff":awgmziii said:
10-4...I'll give it a year or so and see what it does. 8)
I HIGHLY recomend that :) I'm still working through some tins I bought almost 18 years ago and age does this blend well ! 'Course when I used to smoke it fresh it was the version blended by Murry and I have not bought any blended by the current source. But if it is close to the former, time does it well.

Just some notes to add to this, as I'm still suspecting there's a method to the numbering system on some tins:

Orlik Golden Sliced Tins (Code, top left to UPC):

1) Written Date: 7/2008 Code: 0812015611 (1/12/08) (12/1/08) ?
2) Written Date: 4/2012 Code: 1110064731 (6/10/11) (10/6/11)?
3) Written Date: 4/2012 Code: 1110054731 (5/10/11) (10/5/11)?
4) Written Date: 4/2012 Code: 1110054731 " "

I still think there's something to consider when looking at the Dunhill (Orlik) tins and that code to the right or the left of the UPC, usually a 10-digit number. I'm convinced at least the first four (or even six) numbers have to do with the date. The OGS numbers I've compared on tins I've gotten recently is supporting this theory. Tins that now have "receive" dates written on them (by me, or someone else) if compared to what I suspect is the date, is always (possibly) about six months after the suspected "made by" date. Which, shipping, storage, and shipping to the customer would be about right.

DrumsAndBeer":wjtswaaf said:
How do you determine the date on a S. Gawith tin? Thickness of the dust layer?
There are label changes periodically, it seems, but I don't know from what to when--some SG nerd out there might be able to chime in. I have some 50g 2008 BBF and FVF that have different labels than what is sold now. I can't find any codes on 'em.

Anyone know how to date the newer dunhill tins? They changed to an 8 digit/letter code...

I have a flake with CB023M44
and Elizabethan with CB023F94

It's all changed, probably because there's been a lot of mergers, distribution changes, and other management decisions. I have no idea why the trend is now to obfuscate date-of-manufacturing on tobacco these days.

8)

Thanks to SP for answering the dunhill question

Dunhill-dating.JPG

CB - The manufacturer: Scandinavian Tobacco in Assens/Denmark.

31 - The machine on which it was produced.

2 - The year of production starting with 2010 (2012).

C - The month of production in descending order A-L (March).

8 - The day of production within that month (March 8th).

7ach":qw78tygg said:
Thanks to SP for answering the dunhill question

Dunhill-dating.JPG

CB - The manufacturer: Scandinavian Tobacco in Assens/Denmark.

31 - The machine on which it was produced.

2 - The year of production starting with 2010 (2012).

C - The month of production in descending order A-L (March).

8 - The day of production within that month (March 8th).
Thankx for forwarding the info, Bro :D :D :cheers: FTRPLT

MisterE":y0q8vu19 said:
Seems like it would be so much easier to just include an actual numbered date in the code. Less confusing for customers.

Yes of course Erik. Yet for some strange reason some manufactures don't want customers knowing this info. Perhaps they think we'll rifle through the stock in search of a certain vintage year.

Oh, but then again the B&M's are largely a thing of the past. So that pretty much shoots that theory down.

And the e-tailers aren't going to be going through their stock to appease those who want a certain packaging date.

So what we have is manufactures pretty much operating on the principles of the past.

That's the way I look at it. FWIW. Kudos to those who are forthcoming on their tin dates.

Cheers,

RR

I would love to be able to date some of my Rattray tins... Find this next to impossible. :scratch: