Condor Original (Flake)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo Nim

Reaction score
I must admit, first of all, it's been 39 years since I smoked this stuff, I won't call it tobacco, I was 16, couldn't afford ciggies, so I bought a cheap pipe and a packet of condor flake, a lethal combination, how I continued to smoke a pipe afterwards is beyond me, I bought condor because, after all, I was 16 and couldn't possibly be seen buying something with a nancy sounding name like "mellow vagina" could I ? I was in the forces at the time, and this stuff had the same effect on my internals as CS Gas was to have on my externals, (not highly recommended, for those who have not experienced the joys of tear gas) I later found that mellow vagina was a little more to the liking of my inexperienced palate, though I could still not bring myself to ask for it from the grinning face of the N.A.A.F.I. girl serving me, never realising of course, that her grinning was probably due to the effect that condor was having on me. I know I shall have to try this again, in order to give a more honest, uptodate and experienced opinion.

Here goes, I can't beleive I'm doing this, trying this stuff again, I went to light it in my "cave" the dog, a gentle black Labrador followed me in, "you may not like this one" I told her, but she, being a faithful (or stupid) dog settled down at my feet, in the past when she has dissaproved of whatever it is I'm smoking, she looks at me imploringly. If I fail to notice, she starts to howl and whine, anyway, I open the pouche, the smell takes me back so many years, the flakes are moist and pliable, rub out well and light with ease, a sudden burst of light soap that soon dissipates, first quarter and the strength builds, faces, names and places start to drift through my mind, we were all so young then, this stuff isn't so bad after all, the strength builds further, a movement at my feet, the dog has stood up, her eyes wide and staring, her head drops slightly below her shoulders as her legs bend ever so slightly, her teeth are barred and she is snarling.

No it's still bloody awful stuff for none but the brave, and the room note could be dangerous in the presence of my dog.

:lol!: Great review :cheers:

We have a blend like that over here too, they call it Walnut. Ask JP about it sometime :lol:

Something must be wrong with me, but I love the stuff, I have a little of the flake put away, 'way back in the CAVE, and some RR, is there any hope? Sure wish I could get more, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

pipetongue1":je1r88xo said:
Something must be wrong with me, but I love the stuff, I have a little of the flake put away, 'way back in the CAVE, and some RR, is there any hope? Sure wish I could get more, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:
You are NOT ALONE!!! :D :D :D

Original Review @ Tobaccoreviews.com

<table border="1"><tr><td>Reviewed By</td><td>Date</td><td>Strength</td><td>Flavoring</td><td>Taste</td><td>Room Note </td><td>Recommendation</td></tr><tr><td>Kilted1</td><td>12-6-2005</td><td>Strong</td><td>Medium to Strong</td><td>Ful </td><td>Pleasant to Tolerable </td><td>Highly Recommended</td></tr></table>

This blend was a long time favorite of mine, that is now sadly no longer exported to the USA. I first tried this blend at a Yorkshire tobacconist's recommendation while purchasing a new pipe. I had never encountered a flake tobacco before, so I had to ask him how to use it. I acquired this pouch through the generosity of Rad Davis, who seemed scared to try it. I don't think he could ever have any idea how much I've enjoyed re-visiting an old friend after 20 years.

Fortunately, I've found that SG Bracken Flake is quite similar to Condor at least as far as a substitute goes when I can't reliably get my hands on it.

Appearance: A mostly black with some brown and tan mottling leathery flake of varying thickness.

Aroma: The first thing that is apparent when opening a pouch of Condor is that it is fairly heavily scented. What kind of defies me is to decide what that scent is. I pick up tones of black cherry, something sweet and vaguely like molasses and hints of rose. Rose you say? Yes rose, as in Greek Rose Petal preserves (not a regular on many an American table). I can also detect deep air cured Virginias and an underlying nuttiness, and musty quality. Put side by side with SG Bracken Flake they smell very similar. This tobacco seems perfect for smoking as soon as the seal on the pouch is broken. As with most flake tobaccos I simply take several flakes together, fold them in half and insert them length-wise into the bowl trimming off the excess. I find it has a much better burn this way and makes for a long enjoyable smoke.

For this review, I’ve chosen an Edward's Husky Canadian which is dedicated to scented flakes.

A first light is brings billows of rich white smoke, followed with a brief visit of the tamper and then a tamping light. The topping or casing is immediately there and while a bit odd at first becomes a nice compliment to the fine quality leaf underneath. Flavors of cherry, rose and a deep nuttiness are exhaled with increasing pleasure. This is a delightful flake, which rather rapidly dispels myths of “English Soap”. The flavors are intense and build rapidly while the topping or casing gradually fade into the background. Many Americans will not likely enjoy this flavor, but I do.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and while I wouldn’t call this mixture particularly complex, the topping or casing gradually fade completely into the background but never leave the scene. The Virginias build in depth and character while the topping/casing gently fade. This blend can get away from you if you are not careful with technique. That is not to say that it will bite, I've never experienced tongue-bite with this blend. Rather, the tobacco is a bit temperamental and can be over-puffed to the point of extreme bitterness. If one takes the time to smoke this slowly and methodically a sweet, rich and flavorful voyage is there for the taking.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I find that it becomes more intense though never overpoweringly so. The tobacco eventually becomes the most dominant component with the topping/casing fading in intensity. Deep and resonant forest, leather and cigar tones emerge from the heart of this blend. The sweetness and topping/casing never fully leave, yet their initial flavors have matured and ripened into a fascinating mixture of stewed fruits and rich adult pleasures.

Supplemental Notes: I really am tempted to try to find a UK tobacconist to order this from. I imagine the cost would prove prohibitive. **** 4 full stars

Pseudo Nim":s721usza said:
something with a nancy sounding name like "mellow vagina"
I'm still young enough to crave 'wildcat vagina'

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

ftrplt":l6tgr5rt said:
Anything described as "mellow vagina" has got to be good!!!!!!!!! :lol: FTRPLT
Smokes a little moist, actually. DGT is highly recommended.

I can't smoke this blend. It triggers the most absurd attack of hiccups. I don't dislike the flavor, which is quite unique. It ghosts the pipe like almost no other.