Confused by C&D variety

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adauria

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was at JR the other day looking over the vast array of choices from C&D. I generally like everything I've tried from them (though I haven't tried too many). Old Hollywood and Haunted Bookshop are 2 good ones that come to mind. But they have so many varieties of tobacco under their own brand that I can't figure out what I want to try.

So, for fans of C&D, what are your favorite non-aromatic C&D blends, and what do they taste like?

I already have a decent stockpile of baccy for the rainy days a'comin', but I could always use some more.

Thanks!

-Andrew

I haven't tried too many of their tinned blends lately but the most recent one was Blockade Runner and I like it a lot. It is pressed stoved VA soaked in premium rum for 7 days. Very tasty!

I use to smoke Yaller Dawg almost exclusively but they discontinued it and I only have a little left. It was a Syrian blend. I am anxious to try Exhausted Rooster because it sounds similar to GLP Cumberland. I also use to smoke Strathsbey but I don't know if they are still blending that one. A scottish mixture as they put it with a wee dram of scotch. SOTE is pretty good also if you like heavy Latakia.

adauria":rtft78af said:
Hi folks,

I was at JR the other day looking over the vast array of choices from C&D. I generally like everything I've tried from them (though I haven't tried too many). Old Hollywood and Haunted Bookshop are 2 good ones that come to mind. But they have so many varieties of tobacco under their own brand that I can't figure out what I want to try.

So, for fans of C&D, what are your favorite non-aromatic C&D blends, and what do they taste like?

I already have a decent stockpile of baccy for the rainy days a'comin', but I could always use some more.

Thanks!

-Andrew
I can understand being a little overwhelmed by the variety -- I really hate to think of how many C&D samplers I've gone through.

If you don't like aromatics, I'd recommend the following:

Old Joe Krantz -- I think this is the best "high-end" burley-based mixture on the market. It's got a lot of perique and some red Va, as well. It doesn't bite, it smokes well even in the summer heat, and it burns very well. The flavor, IMHO, is unbelievably good and very full. Some people, however, find it to be a bit harsh and it's a heavy-hitter in the nicotine department. Some people consider this kind of a companion blend to Haunted Bookshop -- same principle, but much different execution.

Morley's Best -- Another quality burley smoke, this one contains a condimental amount of latakia. If you liked Old Hollywood, I can't see you not loving this, especially since it's quite a bit cheaper. Think of Haunted Bookshop with latakia instead of perique.

Star of the East -- This is an excellent bulk Balkan blend, reminiscent of Pease's Odyssey. There is also a more expensive pressed version called SOTE Flake, but it's got different tobaccos in it.

Epiphany -- C&D's homage to the original Revelation blend. It's got some kind of light topping applied, but I wouldn't call it an aromatic.

Night Train --- A pressed Va/Per, very sweet and easy on the tongue.

Briar Fox -- A straight Va crumble cake that's not overly sweet but very tasty.

My C&D "holdings" include SOTE, SOTE Flake, Evening Rose, Junkyard Dawg, Yaller Dawg (one last tin!), Adagio, Sunset Harbor Flake, Bailey's Front Porch, Yale Mixture, Engine #99, Morley's Best and Crowley's Best. All fall into the English/Balkan family. Some have Burley and Perique. I enjoy them all, except the Crowley's, which is a Burley, Latakia, Perique blend. Just don't care for it. What I have (about 4 ozs.) has been mixed with Heavy English and more Latakia. Should be very good in another 3 months. Hope this helps. FTRPLT

My regulars - which means I bulk buy them - are:

Bayou Morning (an outstanding tobacco, earthy & good)
Old Joe Krantz (which has a strong, almost cult following)
Haunted Bookshop (my personal favourite burley blend)
Night Train
Three Friars

A new addition, which I tried as a 'smoke-off' against Embarcadero (which I rate very highly) is Sunday Picnic - a very similar blend, but with the addition of some Perique. It is superb - every bit as good as Embarcadero, & perhaps the richer for the Perique. This is high praise.

Personally, I'm still discovering C&D tobaccos. As you point out - it's a tall order, but I'm not complaining.

There is only one......EXHAUSTED ROOSTER!!!!! This is one of the best vapers out there, to me it tastes just like frosted raisin bran crunch. not in an aromatic way but in that natural tobacco way. even smells great in a nosewarmer pipe. you can also tell that it will get even better with age. An incredible discovery. C & D hit a major home run with this one.

vaperfavour":1zbc8mf9 said:
There is only one......EXHAUSTED ROOSTER!!!!! This is one of the best vapers out there, to me it tastes just like frosted raisin bran crunch. not in an aromatic way but in that natural tobacco way. even smells great in a nosewarmer pipe. you can also tell that it will get even better with age. An incredible discovery. C & D hit a major home run with this one.
I am looking forward to trying it!

Wow, this is great list! Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely start seeking some of these out.

-Andrew

Yo Andrew, C&D just put out a new list of All their blends, check out their site, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue: