CONGO WOOD PIPE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why "pipe making woods" is such a short list! Briar, Olive, Morta, Strawberry briar.
Of course even briar can develop problems like this. The difference is, the majority of briar will make good sturdy pipes, and the majority of pipes from other woods will develop problems with crack or burnouts at some point in its life.

RAlden":nc9v34bq said:
That is why "pipe making woods" is such a short list! Briar, Olive, Morta, Strawberry briar.
Of course even briar can develop problems like this. The difference is, the majority of briar will make good sturdy pipes, and the majority of pipes from other woods will develop problems with crack or burnouts at some point in its life.
My olive wood pipe is 15 years old. When will it start cracking/burnout  :twisted: 

SpeedyPete":ay2ybkf9 said:
RAlden":ay2ybkf9 said:
My olive wood pipe is 15 years old.  When will it start  cracking/burnout  :twisted: 
I believe Ryan meant that other types of wood pipes such as Olive are just more susceptible to burn out, not that they will burn out. Besides that I've seen a few Briars extremely burnt out, it does depend on the smoker knowing what he's doing also.  ;) 

Yes Cart, that was my point. I included Olive in my own list of pipemaking woods, so thats not even an argument from me Pete.
You can make a pipe from any wood you like, but for every 100 congowood pipes, how many will make it through a lifetime without an issue ? Thats the reason why the list is so short. Most wood is just not up to the task.
I used to really want a Ropp "Supreme". It's a really neat shape that has a diamond shank and looks more like a traditional briar than most cherry pipes. Problem was, I couldn't find a single one that didn't have a crack in it! So that's not saying you can't make a pipe from cherry wood, they sure made millions of them, but that's also not saying that cherry is particularly suited to the task.