Contemplative/Complex Pipe Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been two blends that occupied my full attention while smoking: State Express and Constantinople. Now, both have been gone almost 30 years, Constantinople probably closer to 40 years, but neither would let you do other things while smoking them. Constantinople (C) was an over stated latakia, probably 50%, with other oriental varietals to balance and entice. Think latakia as a bass note with the orientals weaving all about the smoke, perhaps a touch of VA, but there simply was no sweetness. Nutty, but no sweetness, and an intoxicating room-note, like incense in a Russian Orthodox church. It was recommended to me by a former professor, who literally had boxes of it. I could never understand how that tobacco left the smoking scene.

State Express was remarkably different but similar in some ways. SE was predominately Turkish and orientals. Again, a light but full smoke with great aroma and flavor, and very distinctive. The sense of the smoke was broad changing tastes, pairing and then moving elsewhere.

Artisan’s Blend by Ashton—I can’t hold a conversation with this stuff smoldering. When it came out I turned my nose up to it. I thought “Artisan, must be some flowery aromatic.” OH how wrong I was! It’s reviewed often in comparison to Murray’s Nightcap, and I see why—potent English with a touch of perique. Its quality all the way through and a blend that would stand on its own without the comparison to it legendary cousin.

“Some things are best enjoyed in silence.”

I don't smoke English blends because of an aversion to Latakia so complexity isn't usually as much of an issue but I do find myself really thinking about Embarcadero when I smoke it. It always seems to draw my attention back to it more than hold on to it the entire time.

morleysson":4s3pumcy said:
There have been two blends that occupied my full attention while smoking: State Express and Constantinople. Now, both have been gone almost 30 years, Constantinople probably closer to 40 years, but neither would let you do other things while smoking them. Constantinople (C) was an over stated latakia, probably 50%, with other oriental varietals to balance and entice. Think latakia as a bass note with the orientals weaving all about the smoke, perhaps a touch of VA, but there simply was no sweetness. Nutty, but no sweetness, and an intoxicating room-note, like incense in a Russian Orthodox church. It was recommended to me by a former professor, who literally had boxes of it. I could never understand how that tobacco left the smoking scene.

State Express was remarkably different but similar in some ways. SE was predominately Turkish and orientals. Again, a light but full smoke with great aroma and flavor, and very distinctive. The sense of the smoke was broad changing tastes, pairing and then moving elsewhere.
I bet you have seen some great tobaccos, was was your past favorites, and what are your favorites now ? Most of my pipes belonged to my Grandfather, he seemed partial to bent pipes and smoked Revelation alot,

morleysson":jvy9mby6 said:
Constantinople (C) was an over stated latakia, probably 50%, with other oriental varietals to balance and entice. Think latakia as a bass note with the orientals weaving all about the smoke, perhaps a touch of VA, but there simply was no sweetness. Nutty, but no sweetness, and an intoxicating room-note, like incense in a Russian Orthodox church. It was recommended to me by a former professor, who literally had boxes of it. I could never understand how that tobacco left the smoking scene.

Seems to me you have a new project here 8)

the macdonald":satjq1xm said:
Artisan’s Blend by Ashton—I can’t hold a conversation with this stuff smoldering. When it came out I turned my nose up to it. I thought “Artisan, must be some flowery aromatic.” OH how wrong I was! It’s reviewed often in comparison to Murray’s Nightcap, and I see why—potent English with a touch of perique. Its quality all the way through and a blend that would stand on its own without the comparison to it legendary cousin.

“Some things are best enjoyed in silence.”
I am getting into this blend more and more. I too thought it was going to be an aromatic when I read the name on the tin. After reading about what it was on the tin I was hooked. I am on my third tin of this blend.

free_byrd15":iyyk3t4p said:
Whats the most contemplative and complex tobacco you have smoked?

There are a couple of different ways to look at answering this. Renaissance comes to mind immediately. Lots of stuff going on in this blend. Tons of flavor. Plenty of strength. It can really put you in the zone.

For a different perspective, look to something like Montgomery. "What!??" You say. For me Montgomery requires you to do nothing else but smoke it. No reading. No computer. If I try to do anything else, it's just a decent smoke. But if I pay attention to it, the subtle flavors come forth. Kick back in the glider on the porch with the pipes and simply watch the world while smoking. That's when it really lets you know how good and complex it is.