cool stuff you want just because

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
This comes from mostly just the consumer in me. And nostalgia. What cool things are on your radar that you don't necessarily need, would definitely use though, and that you basically want just because you think they're cool for whatever reason?

These are all bags, but I have a whole host of other things on a list.

I have this very old, tattered and sewn together with upholstery thread, duffel bag that is ultra light weight that I've used for many years for short trips. I could continue to use it, but I have a hankering to get something to replace it. First, is a collapsible bag that folds into itself. Second option is the classic parachute bag. Third option, but for a slightly different purpose, classic LL Bean tote bag (surprisingly still made in the USA and remains in its original design).

foldable/collapsible duffel bag (folds into itself):
https://www.amazon.com/travel-inspi...keywords=travel+inspira&qid=1629305485&sr=8-5
classic parachute bag:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333263235381?var=542277369054
and then the classic LL Bean Boat and Tote canvas bag, designed in 1944 to carry ice and still made in the USA:
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/517152?page=boat-and-tote

1629326094498.jpeg

Okay. Now what's on my radar that's a cool thing. Beside the un-obtainium like Bracken Flake? Well, I am only going to mention that there is a Shutzen rifle that I want to get my hands on again. Anything else and any more details on anything that is on my radar will only make them more scarce and drive the prices up. People are paying double for things since Biden took office. And that's more than just being scared about stuff. Inflation hasn't even figured in yet.

Easy, any pre 1900 revolver, especially an 1851 Remington Navy. And my ex FIL's High Standard 9 shot 22. Oh, and a S&W model 29 44mag, aka Dirty Harry's gun.

Ranger,
Those High Standard 22 revolvers are getting scarce,From time to time they pop up on ARMSLIST.COM, I think they were called sentinel,H/S made quality products back in the 50`s-60`s,prices are on the rise as well. Hope this helps!

Ranger,
Those High Standard 22 revolvers are getting scarce,From time to time they pop up on ARMSLIST.COM, I think they were called sentinel,H/S made quality products back in the 50`s-60`s,prices are on the rise as well. Hope this helps!
Yep, think his was probably made in the 50s as he had had it for many years. A real tack driver and fun to shoot.

My 80-year-old brother and I talked about liquidating our collectables yesterday. Both of us lean toward obsessive compulsive disorder and have some irrational collections. For several years, I began collecting unset rubies and sapphires. At retail the collection would be valuable, but at wholesale I'm getting a decent, but unspectacular return on my initial investment. I enjoyed collecting, but within the last year realized that with my death my daughters would be left with the task of "unloading" the collection, probably at far less than I have been able to negotiate. I have a collection of fine quality fedoras. They range from beaver felt Borsalinos to Montecristi Panamas. One of the panamas is considered museum quality, is unworn, and would probably draw $2000 to $3000 from a collector. I'm in the hunt for that collector because I know my daughters would probably sell it on Ebay for $39.00.
As you men are talking about collecting rare firearms, consider the future and what your heirs would do with your collection. Have those guns appraised and make sure your heirs know where to sell them if they don't plan to keep them.

My 80-year-old brother and I talked about liquidating our collectables yesterday. Both of us lean toward obsessive compulsive disorder and have some irrational collections. For several years, I began collecting unset rubies and sapphires. At retail the collection would be valuable, but at wholesale I'm getting a decent, but unspectacular return on my initial investment. I enjoyed collecting, but within the last year realized that with my death my daughters would be left with the task of "unloading" the collection, probably at far less than I have been able to negotiate. I have a collection of fine quality fedoras. They range from beaver felt Borsalinos to Montecristi Panamas. One of the panamas is considered museum quality, is unworn, and would probably draw $2000 to $3000 from a collector. I'm in the hunt for that collector because I know my daughters would probably sell it on Ebay for $39.00.
As you men are talking about collecting rare firearms, consider the future and what your heirs would do with your collection. Have those guns appraised and make sure your heirs know where to sell them if they don't plan to keep them.
This is the kindest of things to do for family. I reckon you could say this about most things we own, though. Think of that McClelland tobacco in a glass jar with a handwritten label. You're gone, and someone sees nothing more than cigarette tobacco in a jar. Keep the jar. Dump the tobacco in the garbage. There went hundreds of dollars in the trash. Or DE razors. Or even some of the older electric razors that someone would pay $50. "Nobody wants an old used electric razor. Toss it." Nobody knows our stuff like we know our stuff.

I have about 5 high value guns that will go to my favorite nephew in my will. The rest are being donated to the local Fraternal Order of Police with specific instructions that any proceeds from the sale or transfer of said firearms will be donated to the Tunnels to Towers charity. FOP has set protocols and processes for such distribution

I've purchased several sets of Gravitrax on clearance because it looked fun. I like to setup on my desk and tinker with creating crazy marble runs as a break time activity.