Cornell & Diehl 5 O'Clock Shadow

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rothnh

Reaction score
This one's fairly new from C&D.

Red Virginias (which I am often a bit leery of), Perique (purportedly sweet and plum-like) and some dark-fired Kentucky to add some punch.

Hey, sounds like it's in my wheelhouse, so I added an 8 oz. can in the last TAD (OK, after a certain amount of risk assessment, but hey, I'm a risk taker).

I popped than can today and I must say, I was surprised.  Supposedly a "cake," (think Russ Ouelette's Anniversary Kake), this 5 O'Clock Shadow is a plug, not a cake per se -- albeit a somewhat soft plug but it is in brick like pieces and that is a plug to me.

I shaved off thin slices with a sharp knife (as I do with any plug), and being so moist, I rubbed it before packing it in the bowl of an Ashton Group 4 canadian.  

I would normally allow a blend this moist to dry a bit, but for some reason, I felt this one didn't need it.  Turns out I was right, as it packed well, it lit easily, and as I smoke it now, half-way through the bowl, is pleasant and hasn't required a relight.

This blend is very pleasantly sweet, naturally so -- likely from the red virginias and the plum from the Perique (which adds little if any spice), and the dark-fired Kentucky adds punch on the low end.  I like.  I like it very much.

This 5 O'Clock Shadow will undoubtedly age really well, but this 8 oz. can I have won't last that long.

C&D has a winner with this one.  Recommended.

Jeb was trying to convince me to grab some. I ultimately went for Guilford Flake & Red Carpet instead, but may need to visit this later. The to-do list is a LONG one... :twisted: 

It sounds like this is a nice one straight out of the gate, ready to smoke. It also sounds a lot like GLP Triple Play. I mean, it is the same manufacturer. How would you compare them, roth?

Josh,

I haven't tried the GLP Triple Play as yet, though it does sound similar to this 5 O'Clock Shadow.

I do know the Shadow's Perique is the sweet/plum variety, which I prefer > the spicy.

I have smoked and love (I have an 8 oz. tin on back order) of the GLP Jack Knife Plug, though it's Virginias (not just Red) and Kentucky (no Perique) -- great stuff -- and a true plug, not as moist as the 5 O'Clock Shadow.

rothnh":y8dm30jb said:
Josh,

I haven't tried the GLP Triple Play as yet, though it does sound similar to this 5 O'Clock Shadow.

I do know the Shadow's Perique is the sweet/plum variety, which I prefer > the spicy.

I have smoked and love (I have an 8 oz. tin on back order) of the GLP Jack Knife Plug, though it's Virginias (not just Red) and Kentucky (no Perique) -- great stuff -- and a true plug, not as moist as the 5 O'Clock Shadow.
Would you say then overall the blend is a tangy VA type? I assume the Kentucky beefs it up a few notches, which can be good if it doesn't overdo the subtler aspects.

mejoshee":wb9gyn7x said:
Would you say then overall the blend is a tangy VA type? I assume the Kentucky beefs it up a few notches, which can be good if it doesn't overdo the subtler aspects.
I am sensitive to red virginias and I have to say that no, I don't find 5 O'Clock Shadow "tangy."

As for the dark-fired Kentucky, there's just enough of it in the blend to "round out" the blend -- it is definitely not overwhelming IMO.

I got to sample a couple of bowls of this last week. It tasted like a less sweet version of Old Joe Krantz, IMO. Burning characteristics are good, no bite, good nicotine hit. But it didn't really ring my bell like OJK does.

jj1015":cubz2295 said:
I got to sample a couple of bowls of this last week. It tasted like a less sweet version of Old Joe Krantz, IMO. Burning characteristics are good, no bite, good nicotine hit. But it didn't really ring my bell like OJK does.
Interesting observation.

I love OJK myself, and will certainly be looking to this comparsion when I get in some 5 O' Clock Shadow.

Cheers,

RR

Only tried a small sample of Old Joe Krantz and, admittedly, that was a while ago.

Silly as it sounds, I like the cut of 5 O'Clock Shadow better.  I like the fact that it's almost a plug (well it is a plug, just soft) -- a blend that will most assuredly turn into a true plug and lose it's cake-like consistency with proper aging.

OJK is .. well, an old time, course-cut blend of similar ingredients, but, IIRC, the OJK's Perique is more aligned with the spicy than the plum-like Perique in the 5 O'Clock Shadow which, of course, I prefer the latter.  Also, I prefer the dark-fired in 5 O'Clock Shadow over Old Joe Krantz's version of that condiment.

This just goes to show how tastes differ! I felt the plum-like notes of OJK were more prevalent than in 5 O'Clock Shadow, and I liked the additional sweetness, as well. I'm also not a huge fan of Kentucky leaf over more traditional burleys, which I'm sure also plays a role in which I prefer. I'm glad C&D has so many variations on so many themes -- it can be a little overwhelming at times, but the good news is that they have something for nearly every taste.

Sounds right up my street, Why oh Why can't we get weed like this in the UK.! :evil: 

@ jj1015 = Hmm, OK, now I will have to include a couple ounces of bulk Old Joe Krantz in my next order  :) 

allyby":ykpkvhkr said:
Sounds right up my street, Why oh Why can't we get weed like this in the UK.! :evil: 
Back at cha! -- Conversely, I wish we could get the plugs you have available in the UK!  Hell, you Brits have more plugs available as OTCs -- not to mention the many other plugs at tobacconists -- than we have available to us in all of North America  :(

Briar Spirit":85zbkdes said:
Ooooh, this certainly seems my type of backy too, shame Rich doesn't stock it.
C&D 5 O'Clock Shadow hasn't been out that long -- that may be why.  You may want to contact Rich; I'm sure he can get it.

I got mine from P&C; Smoking Pipes also sells it (and markedly less expensive at SPC, BTW, especially in the 8 oz. can).

rothnh":c7znh2uu said:
C&D 5 O'Clock Shadow hasn't been out that long -- that may be why.  You may want to contact Rich; I'm sure he can get it.
I'll ask him, see what he says. :)

Briar Spirit":eoz9tsjj said:
rothnh":eoz9tsjj said:
I'll ask him, see what he says. :)
OK  :) 

BTW, Smoking Pipes has a relatively new "Super Saver International shipping" option that may work for you, though I'm not sure how it works for shipments to the UK. Ted from SPC mentioned this shipping option on PM Forums recently, but it's new and I can't find it on smokingpipes.com ... may be worth an Email inquiry.

Just got a tin of 5 o'clock shadow for Christmas from my bride. Opened it up and it has a wonderful aroma but have yet to smoke any. After reading the reviews I believe it's on tomorrow's agenda!