Cornell & Diehl Cellar Series - Disquieting Discovery?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a tin (57g) of one of the tobaccos from this deries (Bijou) last spring (2016) and put it aside, not with the intention of cellaring it further, but rather for smoking when I got around to it.

Well, this morning when it came time to have my after breakfast pipe and coffee, I came upon this tin and, feeling like breaking out of the rotation I'd fallen into as of late, decided to break the tin open and sample it.

Well, imagine my surprise when I pulled the aluminum seal back and saw all, or very much of, the tobacco coated with an off white color. Now, I know this stuff is supposed to already be "seasoned" over a decade, and I've read about old Virginia tobacco being coated with sugar crystals, but to me, I would bet that this was nothing else but mold. In fact, it looked as if the moist tobacco had been spread out and a knife with some vanilla cake frosting had been smeared over it.

As I say, This didn't resemble crystallization to me at all. I ended up separating a small batch of tobacco that had not been touched by this coating at all from the rest. I ended up with about 30% of the original. Now, If I really went through it with a fine tooth comb, as it were, I could have gotten a bit more, but I just put it aside in a sealed baggie to see if I liked the stuff first.

Well, like all tobaccos from this brand, it just didn't do it enough for me. It's a strange thing, to be sure, but it seems that C & D stuff just can't please me like McClelland and Samuel Gawaith, mainly, and a couple others as well.

Anyway, does this sound like a case of mold on this moist tobacco to you, brothers? If so, I'd hate to think of folks stocking up on this stuff and cellaring it for the future.

If it's molded, contact C&D and they will replace it for you. You are not the only one to have an issue with finding mold in a tin of Bijou.

Also, do not smoke it.

If it smelled real bad and strong, it's mold.
If it's mold, DON'T smoke the thing, even what doesn't seem affected by it. Mold can be real bad for our health.
Just contact C & D and they will replace it.

I had an issue with Bijou and Temple Bar. C&D and GLP have had mold issues, I'm not the only one that had a VERY swollen tin without age. 
DO NOT SMOKE!!! You will get a full refund from the seller if it was Smokingpipes or directly from the manufacturer. Take some pictures. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Disquieting indeed! Insofar as has been revealed, this mold issue is becoming more prevalent. Not only C&D offerings have been affected. There was a lot of Sam Gawith flake that was alluded to have been moldy. I find myself growing more concerned as each occurrence is related.

I will be keeping a weather eye on my cellar, that much is certain! I also feel bad for C&D, as they have had a bit of rotten luck with their products. Return yours if you can, and try again(?)

Just saw a review on Youtube that mentioned that problem with that tobacco. Apparently, C & D are aware they have a problem.

Not to long ago a member on here posted pictures of serious mold in his FVF. IF ANYONE has a tin/can that's extremely swollen in less than a year I would open and check and if all is okay put it in a Mason jar. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!! 

Lonecoyote":bp8hm5wt said:
Not to long ago a member on here posted pictures of serious mold in his FVF. IF ANYONE has a tin/can that's extremely swollen in less than a year I would open and check and if all is okay put it in a Mason jar. 
What he said!

Fortunately, I've yet to experience mold issues with any 'baccy, be they C&D or Sammy G (knock on wood). At least so far............

But if I did I'd be sending it right back for a full refund or replacement!

Cheers,

RR

I had a tin of Bijou mold on me. Bought it from Smokingpipes.com, they took care of it and sent me another. It's in the cellar, hopefully aging well. I'm quite positive if mold shows itself again, the fine folks at Cornell &Diehl will take care of it.