Cornell & Diehl Exhausted Rooster

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exhausted Rooster is one of the nicest surprises that I have run across in a long time. Being as good as it is young, once it is aged it will be out of this world! I find it very similar to GLP Cumberland.

I tried out a tin and I love the delicious piquant taste. It is a delicate and delicious tobacco.

I am gonna have to give this a try. Sounds fantastic and right up my alley!

it is definetely topped with a sweetener, you can taste it. also if a tin is forgotten for a month and rediscovered ( waste a tin I did) it dries out some and all the sweetness disappears. no biggie now I have a burley! also I couldn't detect any difference of taste or aroma in a tin I just opened that I acquired from the chi pipe show last year. still a great smoke to me.

Mikem":a3aywfp3 said:
J_Rock, there is a tin of this in the box pass for sampling and one for trading, it it makes it that long. :lol!:
I saw that Mike.....I doubt it makes it till August tho....lol

jhuggett":m8i369ta said:
There has to be some slight flavoring agent in there... doesn't there? The tin aroma smells so good I want to eat it. It reminds me a lot of the flavor of Barbary Coast but with more sweetness from the Virginia.
Yes. I believe there is some topping as well. I smoked my whole tin in about a week (I know, I know, slow and easy), and I like it. But there was something I was detecting that bugged me keeping me from buying. I couldn't put my finger on the flavor either, but I'm not very good at describing flavors.

I don't seem to get this blend.

I just opened a tin of Exhausted Rooster from 10/2010. I had high hopes for this, but so far after two bowls over 2 days (1st rubbed out in my Sav rustic billiard, 2nd folded in a MM corn cobb) and i'm just not getting anything from it.

There is a faint aroma sweet and fig like, but flavor wise i'm just getting a subtle sweetness (much less so than found in Escudo and Orlik Golden Sliced). About half way down the subtle peppery flavor picks up. It smoked very well but left me flat.

The one very positive note I can say is that this blend did not bite in the slightest, but so far I have found it too subtle for my palette to detect. :pale:

ER is probably my favorite VA/Burley/Perique blend.

For me at least, the VaPer component in this speaks louder than the Burley does. Not a bad thing IMO.

YMMV

Cheers,

RR

I don't like perique! My only VaPer is gh Louisiana flake which is amazing. But every VaPer I've tried since I've had that just doesn't suit me.

I love zombie threads. I happened upon a tin from first release and I've been smoking it. Tastes more like Haddos to me than Cumberland. A few more tins from the 08 vintage will be coming home with me next week. Smokes great!

I tried it years ago and found the flavor cloying. Since then I fell in love with Lakeland flakes so I figured I'd retry it since it is a scented flake after all. I no longer find it offensively cloying but still don't gravitate towards this flavoring agent. I appreciate how this can be a much loved flake now but not for me unless they release it's unscented version.

I think there's something there other than just sugar, water and tobacco. I've talked to and read other smokers reviews and some have even suggested an eggnog type topping. To call it scented like gh&co uses the term was wrong but I think they've added something, perhaps subtle, that I detect. I didn't use a Lakeland ghosted pipe, to be clear. The flavor I detect (I'm not a great describer) is a kind of creamy or rich sweetness that I don't attribute to the tobaccos. Perhaps that is why eggnog has been mentioned but I couldn't say that's it.

I've not smoked it but have never heard that it is scented, and the guys who have say it isn't so. I wonder if inexperience is a factor here. It took me about 3 years to climb aboard common experience about pipe smoking, and in the meantime I was often below the charts in my understanding of what I'd experienced.

I'm going to dismiss inexperience. This will be my opinion until I hear definitively from c&d. I maintain there is something other than tobacco, water and white sugar in this. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Obviously, I think the guys that don't think anything is added at all are wrong. But if it turns out to be an absolutely pure tobacco, I'm still not stocking up cause then I guess it would just taste odd to me.

im def. gonna have to get a tin of this , on my next order! Sounds like what I like in Flakes/VA's, plus ive never really had anything that was VA flake or VAPER by CD yet..so im looking forward to that.. right on man!!

I can't really speak to its specific content, and my taste buds aren't quite acute enough to pick out the specifics. That said, I LOVE this blend. I'm about 1/2 way through a tin and I have already added another to my upcoming order. For anyone thinking about giving this one a try... I highly recommend.