Cornell & Diehl Exhausted Rooster

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
I picked up a sample of one of C&D's new blends and just fired up a big bowl
in a meer.This is a worthwhile smoke!Here's what it's made of;

A Virginia/Perique flake enhanced with dark fired Kentucky burley.
I haven't finished the bowl yet but this is really good stuff!

Winslow

Yo Ming, What's the tin presentation, true flake? Thanx, Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pipe:

Exhausted Rooster is in flake form,the samples I got were 2 1/2" flakes.
The first 1/2 of the bowl is great,with the Va./Perique dominating-then the Burley
dominates on and off for the rest of the bowl.I sent Carlos some samples,maybe
he has an opinion.I'm not much of a reviewer.

Winslow

I am only a reviewer when the spirit moves me. :D I got in late. But will pass on what I find out when I get a chance.

well the more i smoke this the more i feel that this is the BEST vaper C & D has ever blended very raisiny, smells wonderful, tastes just like frosted raisin bran crunch. we really are in the golden age of pipe tobacco. this could be an all day blend but i find myself reaching for it in the morning. this stuff is not all that similar to Cumberland, its much sweeter, the burly lends just a tinge of bitterness at times, which is very enjoyable as a counterpoint to the sweetness. if you havent tried this buy some lets say ten tins! This has major ageing potential.

I posted these comments on another site, responding to some criticism of the blend, and, of course, consider that I participated in the blind testing of the blend:

"I wouldn't dismiss this blend w/o some age on it. It is a young flake, and the VA is pronounced, but the tin note is more like a fresh tin of MacB Symphony, with the same kind of bright VA prominent. It is moist, but drying a few flakes made it burn w/ some fairly subtler taste. Neither the perique nor the turkish present overwhelm the smoke. I was searching for an analogous blend and the mild Capstan comes to mind. While I like a fuller smoke and more strength (nicotine), IMHO six months will improve the smoke.

Subsequently, I finished the tin and I was impressed. There is flavor w/o harshness and a much subtler sweetness than I noticed in the first few smokes. Some VAs-based blends can impart an aftertaste, but that isn't present here. The perique and the turkish are nicely balanced to complement the VAs. Al-in-all I like the blend, and I normally don't smoke any VAs. It is a treat, especially if you remember and liked the Capstans.

hi all i just order a tin of Exhausted Rooster and some Haunted Bookshop i should be getting it in a few days

That sound good. I'll have to try some. I've always been amused by the name of the blend.

LtMac

morleysson sure nailed it. Capstan Blue comes to mind. (After he mentioned Capstan.) Flavors are more pronounced. But I think it will age well.

I've been enjoying this one, but I'm not sure if it's one I'll buy again. It strikes me as an exceptional Va flake with a definite but not robust burley presence. Personally, I wish the perique was more pronounced ... it'll probably age well, though, so I'm going to stick the other two tins I picked up in the closet and see what a couple of years will do.
Now to open that tin of Riverboat Gambler, which I'm really excited about ...

I'm on my third tin and love this stuff! I'm not so sure about aging potential, though. It's hard to improve on perfection! ;)

I love the Rooster!
It's one of my favorites.
I'll probably add to the fifteen tins
in my cabinet on my next order.

Rooster is an oustanding flake. Sure it would age well. Reckon this is C&D's Blend of 2008.

I've been smoking this more and more and love it. This is one of those blends that is greatly enhanced by dedicating a pipe to it. That fabulous tin aroma really starts to come through in the smoke after a while. What's the topping on this? Brandy?

There has to be some slight flavoring agent in there... doesn't there? The tin aroma smells so good I want to eat it. It reminds me a lot of the flavor of Barbary Coast but with more sweetness from the Virginia.

I just tried a sample tonight that a generous brother gave me. It was in a rectangular chunk (not sure what that means - a plug or something?). I wasn't sure what to do with it other than try to break it up and rub it around a bit. I should've let it dry just a bit, but it was still okay to smoke with just a few relights.

I really enjoyed it and will be adding some more tins of it to the cellar because I can see this becoming a quick favorite of mine after I'm done with my world-tour of tobacos.