Cornell & Diehl Night Train

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shootist51":hac9mdcl said:
I ordered this blend in bulk and recieved it in a ready rubbed condition. I liked it! I ordered a few tins and it came in a flake form, I liked it better.
I've only had it in the crumble cake form. Never heard of it in RR or flake!?

:!: 

Cheers,

RR

juanmedusa":vewgob4z said:
Has anyone found a benefit to extended aging of this blend. I would jar a fresh brick of it for awhile before consuming as a matter of practice but I've not considered jarring and storing indefinitely. If I'm not seeing the potential let me know.
Mine never gets a chance to get extended aging. lol.......

Cheers,

RR

Good stuff!! :cheers: 

The closest I've gotten to aging it was forgetting about a brick that fell behind the shelf. It was there for years until I discovered it while moving things about. When I tried it, it had that musty quality aged tobacco can take on, but it wasn't that much different.

My only complaint would be that, as a crumble cake, little pieces get sucked up the stem and plug it up. Even leaving a solid chunk at the bottom as a grate doesn't really work. A little piece always comes loose and messes stuff up.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying it, though.

I'm smokin' some now that I jarred up five years ago.
Yeah, it's good, but I really tell ya how much better.

MisterE":yve9z1fc said:
Good stuff!! :cheers: 

The closest I've gotten to aging it was forgetting about a brick that fell behind the shelf. It was there for years until I discovered it while moving things about. When I tried it, it had that musty quality aged tobacco can take on, but it wasn't that much different.

My only complaint would be that, as a crumble cake, little pieces get sucked up the stem and plug it up. Even leaving a solid chunk at the bottom as a grate doesn't really work. A little piece always comes loose and messes stuff up.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying it, though.
Ya, but that's what pipe cleaners are for. When I get this I just poke one in and dislodge the ornery lil' critter!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":jdp92sq2 said:
shootist51":jdp92sq2 said:
I ordered this blend in bulk and recieved it in a ready rubbed condition. I liked it! I ordered a few tins and it came in a flake form, I liked it better.
I've only had it in the crumble cake form. Never heard of it in RR or flake!?

:!: 

Cheers,

RR
Neither have I ever seen this as anything but a pressed krumble kake. Mystery?

Is there anything else out there similar to Night Train? Something burley significant and Virginia sweet? I would assume this is a common combination, but I keep running into bland tobaccos or over-spiced tobaccos (too much perique) or over-cased tobaccos.

Zeno Marx":5aygg96l said:
Is there anything else out there similar to Night Train?  Something burley significant and Virginia sweet?  I would assume this is a common combination, but I keep running into bland tobaccos or over-spiced tobaccos (too much perique) or over-cased tobaccos.
I like C&D's Three Friars. It has a small amount of Perique but it comes through as a condiment and is a minor player. I think it's one of the finest Va/Burs available. You might give this a try. I think you'd like it. :)

AJ

Zeno Marx":2l7f3nl0 said:
Is there anything else out there similar to Night Train?  Something burley significant and Virginia sweet?  I would assume this is a common combination, but I keep running into bland tobaccos or over-spiced tobaccos (too much perique) or over-cased tobaccos.
GLP Cumberland, perhaps?

DrumsAndBeer":8cu131vp said:
Zeno Marx":8cu131vp said:
GLP Cumberland, perhaps?
Great suggestion Chris. Yes, I heartedly endorse this!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to try Three Friars because of the Three Nuns association. As for Cumberland, I'm seeing mention of Haddo's in a review. How accurate is that? I didn't take to Haddo's like I thought I would, so that concerns me a little in regard to Cumberland.

To my taste, the role of the perique in Cumberland is pure condiment.

I can't smoke freshly tinned Haddo's Delight. The combination of the perique and whatever topping is used, is overpowering to my senses, and I really like perique.

Cumberland other the other hand, is quite fine regardless of tin date. It ages well.

Haddo's and night train are different animals. I prefer Haddo's to Cumberland personally but Cumberland would be a good one to try for the Night Train connection. However, may I suggest my absolute favorite c&d crumble cake if you're just up to trying stuff. Honor blend. Your welcome in advance.

juanmedusa":p0iba92h said:
However, may I suggest my absolute favorite c&d crumble cake if you're just up to trying stuff. Honor blend. Your welcome in advance.
That's good stuff. I can really taste the Turkish in it.

If you're gonna go Orientals with perique, Oriental Silk is another homerun.

I need to dig back into my sample of that one. I had it and dusk and got carried away with the dusk. I will have a bowl soon.

It's amazing how expensive this is now. It's 1.83Xs higher now than just six years ago.

Ozark Wizard":lp66jxtp said:
Everything has gone up in price... Not getting any less expensive either.
There's the old general rule/expectation in retail of 1-3%/year mark-up for inflation (from my experience in working and managing in retail in the pre-2000 eras), but near-14%/year is almost at health care rates of inflation. So in my view, there's "everything goes up" and then the unsustainable "EVERYTHING GOES UP." If I was one to stockpile tobacco --which I am not, but I should be-- the inflationary trend would be more of a driver than any paranoia over laws or blenders closing shop.

Zeno Marx":drfkalyj said:
Ozark Wizard":drfkalyj said:
Everything has gone up in price... Not getting any less expensive either.
There's the old general rule/expectation in retail of 1-3%/year mark-up for inflation (from my experience in working and managing in retail in the pre-2000 eras), but near-14%/year is almost at health care rates of inflation.  So in my view, there's "everything goes up" and then the unsustainable "EVERYTHING GOES UP."  If I was one to stockpile tobacco --which I am not, but I should be-- the inflationary trend would be more of a driver than any paranoia over laws or blenders closing shop.
I'm with you on that. The inflation really cut's into my retirement funds. Unless one of my stocks splits again I'll be focusing more on my homegrown blends again rather than acquiring other's wares. Though it is so much easier to buy than to make, the cost is getting prohibitive.

Is it me, or has Night Train changed in the past few years. I couldn't pinpoint when, because I've been smoking down the reserves until recently. I got a new pound last month, and it is lighter in color, more fruity in scent in its block form, and less nutty in flavor. Even a little tangy in taste. Anyone else feel this way?

The thing is that either my sense of taste has changed a lot in the last two or so years, or something is going on in the blending industry and blends are being altered. I've noticed a big difference in McClelland #2015 as well. That one, I'm positive it isn't my taste being all whacko. So #2015 and Night Train --2 of my big 3-- have been altered. I hope the third hasn't also changed this much (Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake).