CORPS Show Report Day 1

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I drove down to to Richmond this morning to for my very first pipe show. Unfortunately, a family matter tomorrow morning meant I had to drive up and back on the same day (about a 400 mile round trip). So, I had to cut the day short and left at 3 PM.

What a great day. If you have not made a pipe show, make the effort. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, like walking in to my first decent pipe shop. I decided to just make a fast reconnaissance loop. Almost immediately, I found an individual seller that had two really attractively priced Rad Davis pipes, but I kept moving.

I met a number of pipe folk from NYC, Philly, Mel from Wingenroths and Andy (DocWatson) and some ebay estate sellers. Smoking was allowed in the venue, which was interesting and the fire alarm went off twice during the day. It was great to enjoy a smoke with Mel outside of his shop. And, a real pleasure to chat and check out the various vendor wares with Andy. He knew everyone and I picked up a thing or two about various pipe makers. Andy also had a table full of some really fine estate pipes.

I bought an estate Ashton (2000) from a gentleman who I can't quite recall his name. He is/was a pipe maker - Klees? He made this particular pipe with Mr. Taylor on a visit to his shop. It is a XXX Pebble Grain with a reasonable size bowl and I'm looking forward to smoking it. (I'm hoping Doc can fill in the name)

An hour later, I circled back to the Rad Davis and was surprised to both still on the table. I bought the smooth finish pipe and smoked it a few times at the show. I find a lot of Rads bowls too large for me, so this smaller size was appealing. It has a very nice draw and I'll look forward to getting to know this one better.

I also bought a West Highland terrier from Mel Friedman, who is quite the character. I didn't know who he was and Andy took me over and I had a fine chat with Mel (he ran a shop in Albany for many years). He said this is his last show and my first. Wish I'd have snapped a picture with him.

I was a little disappointed not to find some of the lower end GBD's to restore/resell. I sort of expected baskets of worn pipes, but only one vendor had that (Mr. Klees) and he was way out of touch on those prices.

Tobacco was everywhere and I was able to sample some blends that I had not yet tried. The Tarlers had a large display and I picked up some hard to find locally GLP blends.

Overall, I had a blast and will definitely make future shows in my area.

CIMG0004.JPG

CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0005.JPG

Looks like an awesome time brother. Glad you had a great time and I hope some of the other brothers have even more pics of their adventures from the show.

I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with Andy, what a great guy.

Looks like two really fine pipes you scored riff raff! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I cleaned up both pipes today and took some better pictures.

Wow, that Ashton is amazing smoker and in near mint condition. It's huge, but with a normal (7/8" wide) bowl size/depth. I tested it out with some MM965 and can't recall getting that full a flavor from my other pipes. I hope it even gets better.

The Rad Davis polished up nicely as well, it's practically mint as well. I'm still trying to get used to the style, it is such a departure from the traditional British shapes that I prefer. I haven't smoked it since the show and look forward to that later this week.

Ashton_Pebble_Grain_2000_Gallery.JPG

Rad_Davis_2006_Gallery.JPG

WOW! :shock: Those both look fantastic! You do some marvelous restoration, sir! Very. very nice!

ADDED: Those are really nice pipes! For some reason when I looked at them earlier I thought they were in need of restoration, looking at the pics now I see they already looked great and just needed a good cleaning. Regardless, good job and good eye! I'd be proud to own either one of those beauties.

Thanks, those two just needed a few scratches removed from the stems and a quick buff. Working on the stand now. I cut out the stem holes for u-shapes and will restain it this evening.

Looks like a great time! A pipe smoking buddy of mine just moved back to VA after getting out of the navy... Might have to plan a trip for the next CORPS show.

I can't wait for the West Coast show next month!

And both of those pipes are gorgeous! But you sure do have an eye for lovely English pipes, Al! I'm increasingly jealous of your Ashton collection :)

Brewdude":zod664r0 said:
Damn, that Ashton is one fine looking pipe! I'd be proud to own it myself.

Cheers,

RR
Thanks, I'm amazed at the way it smokes. The gentleman who made (and sold it to me) was John Eells, a pretty famous American pipe maker. He made it with Donald Taylor at the Ashton shop. Mr. Eells was known for his Magnum size pipes, which explains this one. It is stamped 3X, but is larger than my G-size Castello bulldog. I found this info on Mr. Eells:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Eells

A few more shots of the pipe.

Ashton_Pebble_Grain_2000%2520%25283%2529.JPG

Ashton_Pebble_Grain_2000%2520%25285%2529.JPG

Ashton_Pebble_Grain_2000%2520%25287%2529.JPG

I'm jealous! Here in South Africa we have nothing even remotely close to a pipeshow.