CORPS Tobacco Tasting Bar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lestrout

Reaction score
A new feature came together for the 29th Richmond show and I was mightily impressed.  A long table was set up with huge jars of 33 blends, each coded so that you would only know that it was an aromatic, English or Virginia.  The idea was that you would not know the identity of the blend as you voted on your favorite.  I thought this was a fantastic innovation and one I hope to see again.

The Capstan Yellow tin was the VA winner, and Sunrise Smoke won the English division.

Does anyone know how to decode the other blends?

hp
les

edit: I misheard the announcement. I was too busy scavenging the scraps of tobacco I guess - but I got the company right, as the winner was indeed Sutliff's Field Master.

Reading the ingredient list, you would think FM is indeed an American English, but the burley notes don't stand out to me.

I saw a report that Sutliff "Field Master" was the winner for best English blend???

Boulder&Briar":bm3gwzuf said:
I saw a report that Sutliff "Field Master" was the winner for best English blend???
I was under the impression that "Field Master" was an American Burley re-creation.????

docwatson":lt141i3x said:
Boulder&Briar":lt141i3x said:
I was under the impression that "Field Master" was an American Burley re-creation.????
Pipesandcigars description says,

In fox hunting, the quarry, the pack, the field and the field master are all essentials of the hunt. Conversely, this luxurious English mixture has its essentials: Smoky Latakia, Matured Virginias, Rich Burley and Quality Turkish.

Thanks for the clarification on that blend. My bad, I was thinking of another Sutliff blend. :| 

theconclave

https://www.facebook.com/theconclave?hc_location=stream

montbl - re pix, you may have to be a FBite to get this?

hp
les

Les,
Yes, you have to be registered on FB for this link. It doesn't work for me unfortunately as I am not a member.
Glad to hear you had a great time, and I hope to see you in Vegas, if not the Kaywoodie event in December.
Regards,
Andy

Here you go. I definitely need to do this show in two days. I get too wrapped up in pipes and forget about tobacco sampling. I missed this exercise entirely...

1186695_647738315258170_1308720461_n.jpg

1385552_647764821922186_1024558793_n.jpg

Thanks Al,
That's pretty neat to have such an array of tobaccos to sample. The CORPS does a great job each and every year and has done so for so long.
You really need to spend a couple days at that show to take in all of the displays, especially when you stop to speak with the folks attending which is one of the best parts of the show. I seldom do a one day show, the time just passes too quickly and the expense of travel makes more worthwhile IMO.
Thanks for the photos.

I posted a comment on their facebook page about how much I appreciated their efforts to put on such a fine show. I really did take some time this year to speak to some club members, who were all quite welcoming. They commented back that next years show, the 30th is going to be something special. I missed Neills speech on Friday night, but he recently posted a transcript on his Passion for Pipes blog.

I smoked all weekend from this sampler bar exclusively. Hadn't a clue what tobaccos they might be, but I didn't have a bad bowl of tobacco in two days. Then, I loaded four pipes for the drive home. Anyone who brings his own tobacco to a pipe show is a fool, in my opinion.

riff,
Thanks for the pics ! 'Fraid I'd be lost trying to figure WHICH blend to try with so many available  :twisted: :twisted: