Cost of tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Stopped up at the Indian tobacco store today to pick up a tub of SWR. Have been buying the 14 oz. tubs there for around $33 with no tax. Lady handed me a 7 oz. tub and said it was $32. I said don't you have the larger 14 oz. tub. No was the reply. I asked if she could check the price, which she did and confirmed they were selling the 7 oz. for $32. Needless to say I did not buy it. Came home and ordered 2 from P&C for $30 each. With tax and shipping, about $74, or $37 per tub. That should hold me for a while. I can't believe the tobacco store thought they could sell half as much tobacco for the same price.

Something happened like that a few years ago at the liquor store that sold Drum tobacco tins. One day, they're $15, and the next day, they were $39. I didn't even ask. I wasn't buying them anyway, but I was surprised to see it there, so I watched the stock and pricing whenever I was there. They no longer stock them at all, so I guess $39 was a steal?

Local availability can be weird, sometimes, and do weird things to prices.

Small business owners can be weird sometimes, too.

Stopped up at the Indian tobacco store today to pick up a tub of SWR. Have been buying the 14 oz. tubs there for around $33 with no tax. Lady handed me a 7 oz. tub and said it was $32. I said don't you have the larger 14 oz. tub. No was the reply. I asked if she could check the price, which she did and confirmed they were selling the 7 oz. for $32. Needless to say I did not buy it. Came home and ordered 2 from P&C for $30 each. With tax and shipping, about $74, or $37 per tub. That should hold me for a while. I can't believe the tobacco store thought they could sell half as much tobacco for the same price.
I can’t believe you’ve been getting an extra 7oz for $1 all this time!

I can't believe they thought someone would pay the same price for half as much tobacco. 14 oz tubs of SWR online have been around $35 for a while now. Advantage of buying at the Indian smoke shop was no tax and no shipping cost so $34 was a good deal. But $33 for half as much is a total rip off. Don't even know why they decided to go with the smaller tubs. ????

I've never smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. It may have to do with the description:
"... the primary notes are chocolate and molasses which come from the Burley itself with hints of anus and nuts in the taste..."

That’s “anise”. It mirrors licorice…but softer. But then, I assume you knew that.

Sir Walter Raleigh Regular is a cross-cut tobacco made with rich but mellow Burley. Popular since 1927, this is definitely an all-day type of blend with a pleasant aroma, and good, solid tobacco flavor. There are hints of anus anise and molasses in the taste, but the primary notes are chocolate and nuts which come from the Burley itself. See for yourself why this eminently affordable blend is the go-to for so many pipe enthusiasts for so long, and you know that you'll save even more on Sir Walter Raleigh Regular with ***'s every day low prices.

Last edited:
I've never smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. It may have to do with the description:
"... the primary notes are chocolate and molasses which come from the Burley itself with hints of anus and nuts in the taste..."
Combination of anus and nuts? So it tastes like perineum? Yuk!