Could Be Called Garbage Soup

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
When I was a small child, living in a duplex with my maternal grandmother in the unit above, the entire house always smelled of some kind of soup cooking. No matter what she was planning on cooking, all the meat and vegetable trimmings with lots of herbs and spices went into the soup pot and it was ultimately delicious. Yesterday, I took several bags of leaves to the compost drop off site. While there I saw that the site now takes all food scraps. I walked over to the receptacle to see if the scraps were bagged or just dumped in. A woman came over with a bag of scraps and I asked her if the scraps can be cooked and raw. She said all her raw fruit scraps she grinds and composts herself, but that most of her vegetable scraps she uses in making soup stock, then drops those vegetable leavings at the compost site

So, today, I needed some ground beef, but only had a sirloin tip roast in the freezer. I trimmed and cut the roast into chunks for my grinder and all the trim went into the crock pot with an onion, some elderly tomatoes, the top and leaves of a celery head, and a few cloves of garlic. After it cooks overnight, I'll strain it through cheesecloth and season the stock.

The stock turned out very strong. The ground beef from the sirloin tip roast, very dry.