Country Lawyer plus Perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
I was intrigued by BriarWorks Country Lawyer, a cigar leaf blend with no Latakia! I liked it enough but seemed to be all treble with no bass. Latakia would be the obvious component to add some darkness but I wanted to avoid that. Kentucky was the next idea but the blend already contains a little and I was concerned a little more might overpower everything. So I settled on trying to add a little Perique, C&D’s granulated perique.

Having read that a little perique goes a long way I started with 10 parts CL to 1 part perique. This proved to even be a bit overpowering so I started diluting it until I got to 20 parts CL to 1 part perique. This seems to be about right, the perique adds just enough dark notes without overpowering the orientals and cigar leaf, and overall seems to add the missing piece of this blend, for me at least.

I’m going to jar up my test mixture for a week or two to let the perique “meld” a bit more and revisit it.

Your mileage may vary.

Have you tried John Patton's Dark Horse? Available at 4noggins.com. It's an excellent blend, and named after a man of sterling character. Two Burleys, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia. It lacks the black cavendish found in Country Lawyer, and Im not sure that either burley leaf is Kentucky. Highly recommended

I have not but it sounds like something I’d enjoy, will have to add it to the list, thanks!

50/50 HOTW and perique, sounds quite interesting though may be a bit much for me!

I’ll have to add Storm Front to the list for sure, may hold off on Dark and Stormy a bit since I only occasionally like to have some Latakia, same with Andullo, thanks for the suggestions!

Yep...to Corncob.  

"Storm Front", and "Dark and Stormy" are two very good cigar-leaf blends.  (I prefer "Storm Front").  "Dark and Story" has a little added Latakia....and for me, a little Latakia goes a long way, and too much in any blend makes me think of burnt leather. Yech!

I'm liking blends with a little cigar-leaf in them, more and more.  I think it's the creaminess, and extra thickness that gives me a chill up my leg.

Frank
NYC