Coyotes.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Any of you fellers know anything about killing these wooly boogers?

Seems we have a ton of 'em around killing Cats,small dogs, chickens, etc etc etc.

Get a distress call...like a rabbit....make a few calls...watch and wait.

get out the trusty .243, eye up the ol coyote, and squeeze!

,,,,,????,,,,You shoot em and they die,,,,,!!!!

we "control" them with a .25-06

you can use predator calls here,,,tape recorder with a "distressed rabbit",,,calls them in,,,,
some areas allow using bait,,,,sometimes there's a season,,,other times they're considered pests,,,,,depends on how much damage they're doing,,,and how many complaints,,,,,

just need a small game license,,,,,and report the number taken.

DEC can give the details of your area,,,,

So they will come out in the day to answer calls?

For the record I knew how to kill 'em... I just don't know how to get 'em in a position to kill 'em.

Just checked. We are allowed to kill them year round, but only during the day time. By trapping or Shooting. hmmm I been buggin the ole lady to a .243 hmmmmmmm

Ruger .204 with a 40gr Hornady V-max bullet at 4000 fps at 400 yards, no problem. We have a problem with them here in the retirement communities. Seems they like to jump the fences and have Fifi the pet poodle for lunch. We usually will call them in. Some of those electronic calls at Cabella's for around $30 works great.

Rarely see them, but hear them fairly often. Had a pack wake me up one night a while back, only a couple of hundred yards from the house, when I threw the spotlight in their direction they clamed up & disappeared. Never could get a shot. Found out the next day that my brother next door was luring them in with a distressed rabbit call (on tape). He said he almost had them in range (full moon) when I put the spotlight on & scared them off.

A buddy of mine recorded his Dachshunds howling in a cast iron tub. It called them in good.

I generally use my .30-06 with Sierra, 110gr, hollow point projectiles, hand loaded matched to my rifle. 110 gr at around 34-3500 fps, it rolls em up nice. The recoil was even much less than factory loads.

In addition to the game call there are also decoys you can buy to add to the realism. Rigor rabbitt is one that comes to mind. You might also consider a 12 ga. shotgun as coyotes can come barrelling in and before you have time to react they are practically jumping into your lap.

The Dec. issue of Field & Stream has a decent article about shotgunning for coyotes.

Obviously most of you must live outside of city limits. In Edmonton, we call the authorities to put them down. As far as I have researched, there has been only one documented child's death and has occurred in California. But there have been recent incidents in Edmonton where children and Coyotes have been involved. When I was in Nova Scotia a few years ago, Coyotes were in eastern Canada, a fairly new development. I guess Coyotes have spread all over the continent.

They are an excellent example of adaptability to human environments. They're spreading their range throughout North America, especially by moving into their previous habitats (urban areas) that we have graciously removed their predators and competitors from (wolves, mostly) and supplied them with an abundance of food. Not only small dogs and cats (one of my former students works for our Game & Fish Commission says that to a coyote, a cat is a slow, stupid rabbit), but I've caught them on my porch eating from the dog/cat dish. And they are experts at tipping garbage cans.

I live in a quasi-rural environment (is anyplace in Arkansas really urban?) and when we built the house almost 20 years ago there was one pack up on the mountain behind us, which we'd hear once every week or so. Now there are two active packs in the area, and we hear them every night. I actually enjoy hearing them, and I get a good laugh when they take off yelping and howling, and every old inbred beagle/mutt mix in the neighborhood joins in with their howls and barks. I imagine the coyotes laughing at those domestic woosies.

Natch

OK, I have hunted coyotes for a very long time and in a lot of different ways. First off, they are extremely smart and though you may be able to call em in with a distress call at first, they'll soon figure that out. They are opportunistic hunters and have great defense instincts and will pattern your behaviour. You need to get a good idea where they are bedding down (they will dig dens) and where they water. They will stay in a core area for this. Sit with binoculars in areas where you can watch edges (like where woodlots and open pastures meet). Once you've figured out where their core area is (boot leather and a desire to spend lots of quiet time in the brushy areas where they roam is the only way) you need to find fencelines where they cross. They are creatures of habit and will use the same low spots in fences over and over. Set wire snares there. Get a .22 rifle or a 12 gauge with an open choke and use slugs for times when you feel like sitting in areas where you've spotted them in hopes of calling or ambushing them. A high powered rifle is fantastic for open range shooting, but if you're shooting in smallish woodlots the last thing you need is stray or missed rounds careening around in areas near your neighbors. A .22 with hollow points will easily kill coyotes in moderately close ranges, as will the shotgun with slugs. These will not, however, travel a mile and end up in your neighbors barn door. Once you've killed several and harrassed the group of them enough they'll move off into a different area. It may start off as a nuisance abatement, but tracking and hunting them is a lot of fun, even when you don't get any for a while. You may find yourself going out there even when there are no coyotes around :) Take a pipe instead of a rifle ;)