Cracked Some Mason Jars!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
In honor of the 1 year anniversary since I started cellaring tobacco, I decided to crack a few jars open. Yesterday, I opened up some year old Pipeworks & Wilke #10. As expected, the four orientals used in the blend swapped a good deal of spit over the past year and came together nicely. The Virginia tobacco also improved, adding a subtle sweetness. Finally, though this blend isn't heavy on Latakia, I found that it had softened a bit as well. I am really glad now that I have a pound and a half of this stuff cellared, because in the way of lighter English/Balkans, it is top shelf for me as a morning smoke!

Secondly, I cracked a year old jar of Squadron Brigadier. To explain a little further, I bought a tin of Squadron Leader a year ago and wasn't too crazy about it. A member of my pipe club mentioned a limited edition introduced at Chicago awhile back that had added Perique (Squadron Commander). I took the blend to my tobacconist and he added Perique and then decided to add more Latakia to make the blend heavier, hence the renaming "Squadron Brigadier". I am smoking this now and it is INCREDIBLE!!! It is kind of like GLP Chelsea Morning, but slightly more robust due to the extra latakia.

Overall, it is nice to see my patience pay off with cellaring tobacco. It will be nice this time next year to crack 2 year old jars of #10 to see if it has gotten better yet.

-scott

Scott, You should find that anything with Virginia in it will continue to improve until you end up using it all up! I opened a 50 year old knife lid tin of Dunhill Prince of Wales mixture last year. It was and is the best Virginia mixture I have ever smoked. I believe it also has perique in it as well. Gary

Give the Squadron Leader some time, it gets much better with some age on it. I've got a bunch of jars biding their time at about a year and change.