Credit card # theft

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
Some people thought I was paranoid to have a separate "plastic attached" account that I only moved money into as needed; and deliberately kept ALL other accounts out of the reach of any sort of card.

It just paid off. 8) The number got stolen somehow, and the first I heard of it was the bank informing me that someone tried to buy a large block of Napster downloads in a way that set off an alarm. The account was immediately frozen, and the card# invalidated.

I lost nothing but the three hours it took to untangle the mess, get a new card issued, and etc., but the isolation concept was proved to my satisfaction. Had the bank profile/alarm not been triggered, the most I could have lost was the appx $200 I keep in the account as a cushion/slush fund between uses.

To all my customers: This sort of thing is why I write down your numbers on a pad, use once, then shred. :D The cc# sniffer-bots that get into people's computers these days are the new plague. They can look around in my machine all they want---there's no financial info in it. :lol:

P.S. For those who travel a lot and (essentially) live off plastic, it's best to have two accounts. If a bogus incident occurred while you were on the road and your funds frozen (for your protection), getting around could be tough, and getting the mess sorted out while away from your records might well be impossible.

This is wise advice, LL. You're very smart.

I have a checking and savings account completely separate from Aaron's (and the internet) where we try to keep extra money. However, being young parents, there's not a whole lot of money to put anywhere. It all goes to bills and diapers (and the very rare indulgence) as soon as we get it...

Someday though...once we've gotten through grad school, and he is a professor and I, a psychologist...there will be enough and then some. :D

Irene --

Ignore PB. He's still mad at me for trumping his Best Margarita Recipe in the World with the real BMRitW a couple summers back.

Apparently if you get a Gringo drunk enough you can sell him a beer with tequila and convince him its a Margarita :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

LL":l1tqnfoe said:
Irene --

Ignore PB. He's still mad at me for trumping his Best Margarita Recipe in the World with the real BMRitW a couple summers back.
Irene,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You're dealin with the devil here!

CP once told me, a man should NEVER put his wife's name on ANY account.

"Give her a cash allowance every month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,say, $100."

Ohio State University,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Liberal Arts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"Behavioral Sciences"

thomas james":8y72cvz5 said:

Irene --

Ignore TJ. He's still mad at me for introducing him to Dawg Music. All that CD money could have gone toward pipes and tobacco.

LL":mzpcxvyw said:
thomas james":mzpcxvyw said:

Irene --

Ignore TJ. He's still mad at me for introducing him to Dawg Music. All that CD money could have gone toward pipes and tobacco.
The sucker had the balls to adjust the controls on my sub woofer!

THAT should tell you all you need to know!

Don't mess with a man's sub woofer!

Especially in California!

:lol!: Finally!! LL, TJ and PB get on a bit of a roll :cheers: Been a long damned time!

Irene, have you been informed yet that you're hangin with bad company? :bball:

When I was a kid my mom tried to warn me to avoid bad company, then finally she realized that I was the bad company and she started warning all the neighbor kids about me :| I come here with these guys and find that I still have a long ways to go :lol:

LL,

AND Puff Daddy,

Spent a weekend here, stinking up the house with their damned pipes.

Puff Daddy showed up with flowers for my wife,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AND, a bottle of brandy. Watch out for him.

PB sent home made cookies that never got here. Watch out for him, too!

There were "other" more genteel guests that weekend.

What you have is a debit card, not a credit card. Credit cards are much safer and are not attached to any bank account. If the credit card number gets stolen, you dispute it with the company and don't have to pay a dime; if the debit card gets stolen you also have the right to dispute the fraudulent charges, but the funds in the account may be frozen for a long time, which is bad if you need that money. Another problem with debit cards is that you can only spend what you have in your account and it is easy to incurr in an overdraft and be saddled with overdraft fees. Thumbs down for debit cards!

I had credit card numbers stolen a couple of times, with thousands in fraudulent charges each time. Never had to pay a single penny. On one of those occasions, someone bought a side of beef and had it delivered to their home! The paper trail they left had their address and phone numbers. Not very smart...

This just happened to my son's credit card yesterday from the Naval Federal Credit Union. Luckily they caught it and rejected the over $5000 in charges. Two first class airline tickets to Europe and a bunch of utility bill payments. I hate people that do things like this. IMHO alls they deserve is a wall and a couple of .308 pieces of copper jacketed lead. Maybe that would get the message to some of these asses.