Credit Cards and Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravel

Reaction score
I received this from JFH today:
As some of you may have noticed, yesterday we had to change our online store so that it no longer accepts credit cards for purchases of pipe tobacco. This is due to a policy that has been implemented by the major credit card companies. We have been informed that they are no longer allowing sales of any loose tobacco over the internet to be paid for with their cards. We had this same problem a few years ago with PayPal. We are attempting to find a solution to this. We are also looking into other forms of payment that will be easier and faster for our customers but in the meantime we can only accept checks or money orders for online orders.
I wonder if all major e-retailers will be forced to follow suit or if this a mistake.

I got the same email. I immediately wondered if debit cards will be included?

Wow. It may be good for the local stores. They need to stock blends from competitors.

Also received this today. Not a good sign. At least they'll still accept checks and mo's.

I'm pretty certain this is due to some of the larger manufacturers renaming their roll your own cigarette tobacco as pipe tobacco. Fuggin bastards will ruin it for us all.

I've heard of certain e-tailers not accepting Mastercard but would process Visa.

Wonder how long until the rest fall in line?

:|

No Cheers,

RR

Haven't gotten this email yet but it'll pretty much end my "oh I've never had that let me try a little of that this week" plus my B&M almost doubles the price on some of my favorites.

My local B&M told me that he could no longer sell tobacco on line and that it was due to the credit card companies getting some government pressure. The sellers that list on-line can still take telephone orders and charge credit cards, they just can't do an on-line sales transaction.

4Noggins kicked back my MasterCard, but my sis called in with a Visa. 4Nog square on says they are not taking MC any longer....dang it, that's all I have.

kaiser83":k15ixkzj said:
4Noggins kicked back my MasterCard, but my sis called in with a Visa. 4Nog square on says they are not taking MC any longer....dang it, that's all I have.
Cold Turkey? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:lol!:

Fraternally

Jers

Not taking credit cards sucks...oh well maybe they will get it straightened out one day.

This sounds like a far-fetched over-reach by "I've Come to Help You" officialdom. Could be that the credit card companies are responding to the threat of liability by minors buying tobacco. (Think of it as buying booze online.) How do you know the buyer is over 18? Because he says so? Ah, might not be good enough now. So you can buy via phone -- easier to separate the too youngs from ancients like me -- but you won't be able to have the dreaded weed sent to your doorstep by a simple click. What ridiculous thing are they going to do to help us next? Ban soft drinks over 16 oz? Wait, that wasn't a good example. Why not just establish an account with your fav purveyor of demon weed and replenish it as your hoard is depleted. It would be quite a burden on Carole Burns at Pipeworks to take each tobacco order by phone, I'd guess.

I rarely buy something because I need it right then and now (when I do, I'll take a 40 minute drive to a B&M, or have them transfer some of their stock to their mini-shop at the local mall and pick it up the next day), so I'm not altogether screwed if I have to mail a check or money order and wait a few extra days for the transaction time...

...that said, this is still a royal pain in the a** as far as convenience is concerned. More importantly, its just a few more steps down a scary, scary path.

KevinM":l3uueovs said:
This sounds like a far-fetched over-reach by "I've Come to Help You" officialdom. Could be that the credit card companies are responding to the threat of liability by minors buying tobacco. (Think of it as buying booze online.) How do you know the buyer is over 18? Because he says so? Ah, might not be good enough now. So you can buy via phone -- easier to separate the too youngs from ancients like me -- but you won't be able to have the dreaded weed sent to your doorstep by a simple click. What ridiculous thing are they going to do to help us next? Ban soft drinks over 16 oz? Wait, that wasn't a good example. Why not just establish an account with your fav purveyor of demon weed and replenish it as your hoard is depleted. It would be quite a burden on Carole Burns at Pipeworks to take each tobacco order by phone, I'd guess.
I believe it's just that, plus the re-classification of roll-your-own ciggie tobacco as pipe 'baccy.

(No) Cheers,

RR

Well, the difference with alcohol is that it has to be delivered to someone with a legal id, not just left -- of course there the pressure is coming from distributors who dislike on-line sales cutting into their monopolies. I just don't see where credit cards see any advantage in cutting sales, considering all the other goods and services they cater to

DrT999":j7o5qato said:
of course there the pressure is coming from distributors who dislike on-line sales cutting into their monopolies.
This just solidifies my resolve to buy online. My local B&M now gets $15 for the same tin I can buy online for less than $10. It will certainly be worth my while to pick up the phone, if it comes to that.

Dutch":u4t7h9b6 said:
DrT999":u4t7h9b6 said:
of course there the pressure is coming from distributors who dislike on-line sales cutting into their monopolies.
This just solidifies my resolve to buy online. My local B&M now gets $15 for the same tin I can buy online for less than $10. It will certainly be worth my while to pick up the phone, if it comes to that.
I feel your pain. I only have two readily accessible B&Ms - one with a miserable selection and the other with the highest prices I've ever seen (though he does stock my favorite blends but at 40% over other online sources).

I just checked Lil' Brown Smoke Shack in WA (best pricing for me) and they are not taking online CCs. Phone in orders only.

I do wonder if another shoe is yet to drop. Grrrrrrr.......

If they will take credit card orders by phone I can deal with that. An inconvenience but workable.

Brewdude":7ose5jr9 said:
KevinM":7ose5jr9 said:
I believe it's just that, plus the re-classification of roll-your-own ciggie tobacco as pipe 'baccy.

(No) Cheers,

RR
I doubt its an age thing. Here in PA, one of the most puritanical states when it comes to the purchase of Alcohol, we're actually moving toward expanding internet sales of alcohol. Nationwide, wine and liquor internet sales are growing exponentially. I think the only reason beer is lagging behind is that its too heavy to make shipping cost effective. Further, you can't have a credit card unless you are 18, so tobacco would be safe, but alcohol would not.

I think RR hit the nail on the head - particularly since this seems to only be effecting bulk tobacco. This strikes me as a run at RYO cigs.

Whatever the reason - it sucks.

Dave_In_Philly":hv3drh4z said:
Brewdude":hv3drh4z said:
KevinM":hv3drh4z said:

(No) Cheers,

RR
I doubt its an age thing. Here in PA, one of the most puritanical states when it comes to the purchase of Alcohol, we're actually moving toward expanding internet sales of alcohol. Nationwide, wine and liquor internet sales are growing exponentially. I think the only reason beer is lagging behind is that its too heavy to make shipping cost effective. Further, you can't have a credit card unless you are 18, so tobacco would be safe, but alcohol would not.

I think RR hit the nail on the head - particularly since this seems to only be effecting bulk tobacco. This strikes me as a run at RYO cigs.

Whatever the reason - it sucks.
If it is RYO, why would the CC companies care? It's a legal product either way for those over 18

Buckshot had mentioned that his B&M told him it was pressure put on the major credit card companies by the government. This wouldn't surprise me, but I can't say I know the answer. If its purely an age thing it seems very arbitrary that they are targeting only loose tobacco. Why not tins and cigars too? I know there are big fights right now between the RYO shops and state/fed government. I would not be surprised if this is related.