crumble cakes - so, why the dust sized particles?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why crumble cakes often have such small bits of tobacco in them? I recognize it is in the name...sort of. Some of them have tobacco so small that I'd swear they ground them up in a food processor until they were slightly larger than dust...well, like coffee grounds size. Granted, tobacco does burn differently when so small, and I'm sure that is why. Nevertheless, I can't help but think I'm buying floor scraps. They crumble so small I'm not even sure how to smoke them, unless I'm OK with getting a mouthful in the initial puffs. One of the more recent ones I've had is the new iteration of Bengal Slices. You can't really smoke it in the thick flake form, and when you break it up, most of it is the size of the shake you have at the bottom of a 1LB bag. I'm spitting it off my tongue for too long. It's one of the things I wished was mentioned in descriptions and at Tobacco Reviews. The smoke is the thing, and I'm not arguing otherwise. There's crumble cakes, and then there's dust cakes. Can anyone explain why it has to be so small?

On a serious note, maybe the small bits are crumbs formed by the layers of tobacco leaf being seperated after sticking together from having been laminated together under pressure and bits still trying to stick to other bits pop out.