Curious...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedPiper62

Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering how most of you actually "taste" the tobacco you happen to be smoking? Is it thru you're tongue's taste buds or thru the retro-hale? I've noticed I actually get more flavor thru the retro-hale... Is your method of "tasting" your tobacco always constant that way or does this only happen on occasion, and does it change depending on which tobacco you happen to be smoking? Thanks & Best, Piedpiper62

Although the retro-hale is sometimes pleasant, I still do not get any flavor that way. "Breath smoking" has opened up a world of flavor for me lately. YMMV .

For me it depends on a lot of factors. I have lots of sinus related issues, deviated septum etc. If it's really cold out I won't retrohale or if it's a blend I don't care for as much or if I'm coming down with something. Lets face it if the blend tastes like burning troll feet the retrohale isn't going to make it any better is it?

Jim

I never inhale. Never needed to. Hell, I don't know how to, and I tried to learn a few times before deciding it was no big deal in my particular case. In fact, when I accidentally inhale, I cough like a beginner, which gets laughs from friends at times. I get the taste of the tobacco really well as it is, and am happy as I am.

Taste is primarily olfactory. Taste buds only transmit sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami. That's why when your sinuses are plugged during a cold things don't taste like much.

So yes whether or not one intentionally retrohales most of what you sense of a tobacco's flavor comes from your nose.

I definitely exhale some bit of smoke through my nose. In my opinion, you don't really get the subtle tastes of the blend without that.

I am typically clenching while I am doing something else. I am frequently "snorking," or taking sip and exhaling through the nose. I am not sure but I think I do something that Youtube experts call breath smoking most of the time.

I taste it, but the olfactory bit is a component of that. I am not sure how all that works in the taste equation.

I'm with JimInks!! I'm pretty much an "into the mouth, out of the mouth" piper! and, yes, I taste the 'baccy; ala Ozzie!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

In and out the mouth with an occasional trickle down the snoz. Never inhaled, never will.