Curly Cut first impressions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Whilst on a pre Christmas foray into town I popped into the only B&M to see what took my fancy, more for a diversion than anything else. Well, unlike me I made an unplanned purchase and walked out with some Gawith Hoggarth Curly Cut in my sky rocket. Once home I popped it into a Kilner jar (Blighty version of mason) and finally got round to having a snifter today. Like OW's recent posts, I decided not to read any reviews first. Here's my first impressions...

It's a ribbon cut and looks like it started life as a rope. Good range of colours, plenty of yellows. Felt like a good moisture level but being loose I guess this would vary depending on the vendor's storage. I decided I would air dry for 20 mins or so and then chuckled at the notion of trying to dry anything in our current UK climes. I rubbed it out a little and loaded it into the Briar Spirit freehand with a deep chamber that I selected for the job.

It took the light well and stayed lit really well throughout the bowl, always providing a satisfying amount of smoke. It was natural smoke, no added flavours, grassy, earthy. Having no knowledge of the blend (unlike me, I usually do my homework) this must be Va heavy. The bowl drifted by nicely and gave me time to reflect upon the events of 2015. I'm a nic lightweight and after a full bowl I was just beginning to get the first signs of a buzz.

In sum this is a no nonsense, un-complicated, natural and robust smoke.

Happy New Year fellow brothers and sisters. Here's to all that 2016 brings.

A GH blend devoid of the dreaded "L" factor then, David? Never thought there might be such a thing. Seems even their non - L blends pick up some of that character just by being processed on the same equipment.

Jolly good for you old chap!

8) 

Cheers,

RR

sounds fantastic, I may have a go myself. all of my purchases are relatively unplanned, mainly due to the terrible availability here, my local tobacconist is run by 2x 75 year old grannies who don't smoke, so can offer no input.
although I did get some dunhill deluxe navy rolls, very smooth and creamy, got a slight head cold so going to lay off the pipe until I can start to taste again.

stick your in the UK and also getting decent stuff at B+M !! lucky bugger...

does anyone know how I can contact a B+M that actually sells tobacco, google search gives me on in saltash in Cornwall which is my closest but they don't sell anything tobacco related.

if any of you guys know a close or contactable B+M id be very grateful.

Wonder if you got the curly cut regular or deluxe? The regular is a much smaller coin cut than the deluxe, and darker. I love the regular, it's a very excellent pigtail sized coin cut with a virginia wrapper. The deluxe is more a rope sized coin cut and I believe has a little perique in it and is lighter in body. The deluxe can be bitey but the regular is outstanding, especially if smoked slowly in a narrow bowl. If what you got looks like darkish fine cut ribbon with tiny little coins interspersed, that's the regular. I have about 3000 grams of it on hand and am willing to part with none of it :)

Brewdude":oxccsyb1 said:
A GH blend devoid of the dreaded "L" factor then, David? Never thought there might be such a thing. Seems even their non - L blends pick up some of that character just by being processed on the same equipment.

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Nope, not even a sniff of the Latweed Rande. Mind you, my smoking senses aren't as well developed as others on the BoB who may have detected something. That said, I'm pretty confident there was none. A good solid smoke Rande. I know you enjoy your Vas, so this could be right up your frog and toad.

kitobi":pkofyewr said:
sounds fantastic, I may have a go myself. all of my purchases are relatively unplanned, mainly due to the terrible availability here, my local tobacconist is run by 2x 75 year old grannies who don't smoke, so can offer no input.
although I did get some dunhill deluxe navy rolls, very smooth and creamy, got a slight head cold so going to lay off the pipe until I can start to taste again.

stick your in the UK and also getting decent stuff at B+M !! lucky bugger...

does anyone know how I can contact a B+M that actually sells tobacco, google search gives me on in saltash in Cornwall which is my closest but they don't sell anything tobacco related.

if any of you guys know a close or contactable B+M id be very grateful.
... so are you in the UK old chap? Saltash, Cornwall suggests you are.

If you head across the water there's bound to be something in Plymouth - brother Adam will be able to advise. If you don't find anything on the internet I'd jump on the Torpoint ferry, walk into town and ask. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a good B&M there.

45 mins to an hour up the A38 will take you to Exeter, my original home town. In the highstreet you'll find McGaheys. These guys have been going for as long as I can remember. It's small but personal, and has house blends as well as the usuals on the shelf. Well worth a day out. Be sure to take in the Cathedral when you're there. My Pa repaired some of the stain glass windows after the bombing during the war... but that's another story...

Puff Daddy":fgzo8jlq said:
Wonder if you got the curly cut regular or deluxe? The regular is a much smaller coin cut than the deluxe, and darker. I love the regular, it's a very excellent pigtail sized coin cut with a virginia wrapper. The deluxe is more a rope sized coin cut and I believe has a little perique in it and is lighter in body. The deluxe can be bitey but the regular is outstanding, especially if smoked slowly in a narrow bowl. If what you got looks like darkish fine cut ribbon with tiny little coins interspersed, that's the regular. I have about 3000 grams of it on hand and am willing to part with none of it :)
Yup, from your description PD I'd say it's the regular. That said, I didn't detect any Perique but that's probably just me. Either way, a jolly good, dependable and wholesome smoke.

Stick":eetey3dj said:
Brewdude":eetey3dj said:

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Nope, not even a sniff of the Latweed Rande.  Mind you, my smoking senses aren't as well developed as others on the BoB who may have detected something.  That said, I'm pretty confident there was none. A good solid smoke Rande.  I know you enjoy your Vas, so this could be right up your frog and toad.

Not speaking of Latakia here mate, which is something else I'm pretty much avoiding these days (though I once used to dote on it). Nay, I mean Lakeland - as in "old ladies perfume". Cannot abide that in any concentration, and GH seems to be known for it.

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":imtwvs2g said:
Stick":imtwvs2g said:
Brewdude":imtwvs2g said:

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Nope, not even a sniff of the Latweed Rande.  Mind you, my smoking senses aren't as well developed as others on the BoB who may have detected something.  That said, I'm pretty confident there was none. A good solid smoke Rande.  I know you enjoy your Vas, so this could be right up your frog and toad.

Not speaking of Latakia here mate, which is something else I'm pretty much avoiding these days (though I once used to dote on it). Nay, I mean Lakeland - as in "old ladies perfume". Cannot abide that in any concentration, and GH seems to be known for it.

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR
...aaaaahhhh. Nope. None of that too.

Stick":wn5mx8zk said:
45 mins to an hour up the A38 will take you to Exeter, my original home town. In the highstreet you'll find McGaheys. These guys have been going for as long as I can remember. It's small but personal, and has house blends as well as the usuals on the shelf.
Stick's right, although there is a B&M in Plymouth it's pretty c**p as far as pipe stuff is concered.
McGaheys is a tiny little shop but don't let that put you off, they have an extensive inventory "downstairs" as well as the tins and jars in the shop.
They also have a website http://www.the-tobacconist.co.uk/ you can order through that (not buy directly though) or just give them a ring.
You will of course have to pay UK B&M prices :twisted: 
Yoiu'd be better off buying off the net - PM me if you need any pointers.

Adamhttp://www.the-tobacconist.co.uk/

thankyou gents

yup I'm in Plymouth, the B+M in saltash is awful no stock at all, the same for the B+M in Plymouth also no tobacco stocked. the single tobacconist here in a city of over a quarter million people is abysmal.

I went to Exeter recently just before Christmas, sadly though the lady in the shop was alone, so all of "downstairs" was out of bounds and closed to customers, she also could not tell me what was in stock..

anyhoo I'm hijacking a thread, my apologies stick

alandadp I will send you a PM soon sir :)

andy

kitobi":zo80ioqf said:
thankyou gents

yup I'm in Plymouth, the B+M in saltash is awful no stock at all, the same for the B+M in Plymouth also no tobacco stocked. the single tobacconist here in a city of over a quarter million people is abysmal.

I went to Exeter recently just before Christmas, sadly though the lady in the shop was alone, so all of "downstairs" was out of bounds and closed to customers, she also could not tell me what was in stock..

anyhoo I'm hijacking a thread, my apologies stick

alandadp I will send you a PM soon sir :)

andy
Apologies Andy, I've only just picked this up.

Real shame you missed out on the full McGahey's experience, and am disappointed to learn you weren't looked after as I'd come to expect from this B&M. Some of their house blends were real belters.